Was MADONNA as involved in music creation in MDNA as with RH?

In my humble opinion, the short answer to the question in the title of this thread is no, she wasn't.

You guys can insist that she was, but c'mon. She was a lot more involved with W.E. than the album.

But I still like MDNA. It will be interesting to see what songs Madonna chooses from MDNA for tours and how she reworks them to fit current era.

I'd be fine if she never picked a song from MDNA again for a future tour. The rest of her catalogue is way too good to fill a spot with something from that album.

Uhm yeah... and i am just glad that 2014 was over... 2014 was hell especially in the rumors thread before the leaks finally spread... it was hard to keep track...

But anyway my question was in relation to the old rumors in the making of MDNA 4 years ago... lots of demos from unknown singers sprouting making it appear like MADONNA got reject materials and made minor changes to make it her own... well she did wonders with MDNA... but I am just glad that with REBEL HEART, it seems that all materials and demos that leaked are songs that she STARTED FROM SCRATCH with co-writers... and the result is breathtaking...

You're acting like madonna wrote nothing for the album.

I'd be fine if she never picked a song from MDNA again for a future tour. The rest of her catalogue is way too good to fill a spot with something from that album.

I would love Beautiful Killer, Some Girls (interlude) and Bday Song to close the show. That's it.

You're acting like madonna wrote nothing for the album.

MDNA.gif

oh please, you are making it sound a lot worse... i am quite aware that she re-wrote most of the songs that were passed on to her... it's quite different now that it seems with RH, she co-wrote the songs FROM SCRATCH with the collaborators... unlike with MDNA where the melodies, the preliminary lyrics and the production have been existent already then she alters it and just makes enough alterations to make it signature MADONNA song...

MDNA.gif

oh please, you are making it sound a lot worse... i am quite aware that she re-wrote most of the songs that were passed on to her... it's quite different now that it seems with RH, she co-wrote the songs FROM SCRATCH with the collaborators... unlike with MDNA where the melodies, the preliminary lyrics and the production have been existent already then she alters it and just makes enough alterations to make it signature MADONNA song...

So because she wrote it "FROM SCRATCCHHH" that automatically makes it better than MDNA? And how do we know all of these songs are written from scratch?

I'm absolutely tired of the MDNA bashing. Let's take a step back please, because MDNA though it was rushed had some good songs and she obviously had some great inspiration for some of them similar to RH.

Oh gawd... this is not about bashing MDNA... this is about how different the process was how the album was written with collaborators and how the music was produced... if you read my posts, i didn't even say Rebel Heart songs are better than MDNA songs...

we have an idea that Rebel Heart songs are written from scratch because so far, no demos surfaced with other singers singing on it before MADONNA gets her hands on it... no mentions about rejected songs from other artists and MADONNA reworking them...

Oh gawd... this is not about bashing MDNA... this is about how different the process was how the album was written with collaborators and how the music was produced... if you read my posts, i didn't even say Rebel Heart songs are better than MDNA songs...

we have an idea that Rebel Heart songs are written from scratch because so far, no demos surfaced with other singers singing on it before MADONNA gets her hands on it... no mentions about rejected songs from other artists and MADONNA reworking them...

Okay. Whatever

I never understood the hate for GMAYL. I love it. But the demo was better because I preferred Madonna chants over Nicki and MIA.

I agree. I like the demo a lot more. Nicki and MIA don't fit the song at all.

I believe Beautiful Killer and I m Addicted were also written from scratch (she said I m Addicted was the hardest song to write on MDNA and Solveig said they wrote BK while thinking of Alen Delon) and those are among her best songs and they sound totally "Madonna".

I believe Beautiful Killer and I m Addicted were also written from scratch (she said I m Addicted was the hardest song to write on MDNA and Solveig said they wrote BK while thinking of Alen Delon) and those are among her best songs and they sound totally "Madonna".

I agree they are both great Madonna songs. "Im Addicted" might be considered overproduced by some people, but I feel that it's the most musically layered track on MDNA and it also has the best lyrics by far...

"All of the letters push to the front of my mouth

and saying your name is somewhere between a prayer and a shout

And I cant get it out" omg!!!

I think that it was "mis-timed" in the grand scheme of things. I always say that a pop star needs to be riding a zeitgeist in society, and GMAYL missed it by a mere wave.

Madonna was away (album-wise) for 4 years. People were expecting her to come back (it was referred to a a comeback from the grave, basically) with something hard - like other songs around the same time. She instead came back with a very happy and melodic vibe which I believe put people off ONLY because this particular vibe missed the expectation. People were expecting an "ass-raping" but, instead, got a "fingering." I believe that it was a very calculated risk by Madonna to release something so different from anything else on the radio, but the risk didn't pay off.

People are very susceptible to media narratives and the narrative of GMAYL was a failed vibe. But, it is clearly not true because the song is melodically air-tight. There is no reason for the song to have failed except for missing the narrative expectation. Justin Bieber is a shit-head according to the media; but why? Beyonce is perfect; why? GMAYL failed; why? People just follow a media narrative, and that's how history is made. I still think that if GMAYL hit that wave, which it missed, it would have been a huge hit. So, the question of whether Madonna worked harder on Rebel heart than on MDNA is not a question that can be answered lightly.

Totally agree, but it seems like this could be applied to all of Madonna's singles post-Confessions. 4 Minutes wasn't really of the Zeitgeist, but it would seem Justin Timberlake and Madonna made enough of a potent pairing to get airplay, but that's the only exception. It's sad really to witness the shift in the attention span and the general disregard for the past that seems to be slowly shifting the legacy of artistic and entertainment giants into oblivion. Most of Madonna's singles deserve to have been heard by the masses and become classics, but sadly that's becoming really hard to achieve if you aren't in the first five years of a pop career. The Zeitgeist is too fast!

Regardless, I really do think this album could be a major revival for Madonna commercially in the US, and its going to be huge worldwide. Rebel Heart is an anthem waiting to be unleashed, and there is a lot of solid, personal, introspective music to look forward to.

MDNA has a bit of a shortcut vibe to it in terms of the information we have about the songwriting and the production. I'm pretty sure the William Orbit bitterness must come from the fact that she probably asked him for demos and they didn't work a lot together to write new music, and now he's getting all this Madonna the songwriter stuff dangled in front of him in the twitterverse he seems to inhabit. That could just be my fantasy scenario, but it would make sense. Overall, it's a solid album, but obviously a lot of Madonna's fans wanted something more reflective of who she was behind the brand we were maybe growing tired of, and the general consensus was that nobody wanted a bandwagon production team after Timbaland and Pharell supposedly had her following trends. Martin Solveig wasn't exactly a great choice in my opinion, and as we can see now, he was a total flavor of the moment! Madonna just can't get away with recording other people's songs anymore. If she wants to maintain a broad fanbase she is going to have to keep it real. Madonna the musician just makes more sense! It's what she made it as, and it's what she should continue to refine.

Guest CzarnaWisnia

MDNA has a bit of a shortcut vibe to it in terms of the information we have about the songwriting and the production. I'm pretty sure the William Orbit bitterness must come from the fact that she probably asked him for demos and they didn't work a lot together to write new music, and now he's getting all this Madonna the songwriter stuff dangled in front of him in the twitterverse he seems to inhabit. That could just be my fantasy scenario, but it would make sense. Overall, it's a solid album, but obviously a lot of Madonna's fans wanted something more reflective of who she was behind the brand we were maybe growing tired of, and the general consensus was that nobody wanted a bandwagon production team after Timbaland and Pharell supposedly had her following trends. Martin Solveig wasn't exactly a great choice in my opinion, and as we can see now, he was a total flavor of the moment! Madonna just can't get away with recording other people's songs anymore. If she wants to maintain a broad fanbase she is going to have to keep it real. Madonna the musician just makes more sense! It's what she made it as, and it's what she should continue to refine.

I agree with this completely.