Was MADONNA as involved in music creation in MDNA as with RH?

I love GMAYL but i do get the hate of some MADONNA fans toward it... what i am puzzled with is you say it's "mis-timed"? They released it the weekend of the Superbowl together with the beautiful video, it was also performed during the Superbowl with the one-week radio Clearchannel full support... what was so mis-timed about it?

Totally agree. GMAYL is not the worst song ever but it was a very poor lead single. I'm not surprised at all it got a mixed reception.

When it was released it seems the consensus between fans was that it was a good record full of a selection of decent madonna tracks (I'm Addicted, Lovespent, Falling Free), but lacked truly outstanding material, or good singles for that matter. There didnt feel to be a theme or element of consistency running through the music or songwriting - thus enhancing the suspicion that she simply wasn't involved like she normally would be, and alot of the tracks were given to her and had lyrics altered.

The fact that they didnt have a fucking clue what to do with the album - right down to how to market it. It felt like they just wanted to release any old album so she had an excuse to do the superbowl and then go on tour. I would say hands down, she has been more involved in the whole process from the songrwiting to production. The fact she did one of those songwriting camp things - something she's never really done - i found very interesting.

Hopefully we'll learn alot more about the long process of recording RH, in the coming months.

Guest CzarnaWisnia

GMAYL and GGW were great videos... her dancing in GGW was quite 'refreshing' then... when did she last properly danced in a video right?

Celebration, Give it 2 Me, 4 Minutes... :)

Guest CzarnaWisnia

I never understood the hate for GMAYL. I love it. But the demo was better because I preferred Madonna chants over Nicki and MIA.

Me too. I mean I think it was a bad first single choice, but I still like it, and I do prefer the demo version. I replaced the official one with the demo in my iTunes because it has that awesome bridge.

She always brings it, though. She was definitely present and INTO recording her vocals for "Falling Free," because that is some magic going on. I remember thinking to myself, "I may never hear singing this lovely again." Flash forward to "Ghosttown." <3

....... what i am puzzled with is you say it's "mis-timed"? They released it the weekend of the Superbowl................what was so mis-timed about it?

I think that it was "mis-timed" in the grand scheme of things. I always say that a pop star needs to be riding a zeitgeist in society, and GMAYL missed it by a mere wave.

Madonna was away (album-wise) for 4 years. People were expecting her to come back (it was referred to a a comeback from the grave, basically) with something hard - like other songs around the same time. She instead came back with a very happy and melodic vibe which I believe put people off ONLY because this particular vibe missed the expectation. People were expecting an "ass-raping" but, instead, got a "fingering." I believe that it was a very calculated risk by Madonna to release something so different from anything else on the radio, but the risk didn't pay off.

People are very susceptible to media narratives and the narrative of GMAYL was a failed vibe. But, it is clearly not true because the song is melodically air-tight. There is no reason for the song to have failed except for missing the narrative expectation. Justin Bieber is a shit-head according to the media; but why? Beyonce is perfect; why? GMAYL failed; why? People just follow a media narrative, and that's how history is made. I still think that if GMAYL hit that wave, which it missed, it would have been a huge hit. So, the question of whether Madonna worked harder on Rebel heart than on MDNA is not a question that can be answered lightly.

I think that it was "mis-timed" in the grand scheme of things. I always say that a pop star needs to be riding a zeitgeist in society, and GMAYL missed it by a mere wave.

Madonna was away (album-wise) for 4 years. People were expecting her to come back (it was referred to a a comeback from the grave, basically) with something hard - like other songs around the same time. She instead came back with a very happy and melodic vibe which I believe put people off ONLY because this particular vibe missed the expectation. People were expecting an "ass-raping" but, instead, got a "fingering." I believe that it was a very calculated risk by Madonna to release something so different from anything else on the radio, but the risk didn't pay off.

People are very susceptible to media narratives and the narrative of GMAYL was a failed vibe. But, it is clearly not true because the song is melodically air-tight. There is no reason for the song to have failed except for missing the narrative expectation. Justin Bieber is a shit-head according to the media; but why? Beyonce is perfect; why? GMAYL failed; why? People just follow a media narrative, and that's how history is made. I still think that if GMAYL hit that wave, which it missed, it would have been a huge hit. So, the question of whether Madonna worked harder on Rebel heart than on MDNA is not a question that can be answered lightly.

This is some brilliant and thoughtful writing with a very plausible theory. Excellent work! I love M fans so much.

I like MDNA, but I do think it was an album she made because she felt like she had to make an album. There's lots of personal stuff on there, especially about the divorce, but overall it feels like it was made because she wanted to go on tour. RH feels like something born out of a desire to say something.

Didn't she have a cold when she recorded the vocals for 'Falling Free'? I can hear it in the voice, but it really adds to it. MDNA is half a good album. There are some downright shitters, though >> GMAYL is probably her worst single ever, and GGW is lyrically poor (and I detest the upper infliction in '....like a girl gone wiiiiiild'.

Did Madonna have something done to her cheeks?

Did American Life lead to a Clear Channel boycott?

Will Madonna reunite with Patrick Leonard?

Why does Madonna hate Australia?

Does England hate Madonna?

Why doesn't Madonna fire Guy Oseary?

What are your unpopular Madonna opinions?

Should Madonna step up her game because of Lady Gaga?

especially the last one :). She should start recording jazz immediately... Ooops she already did in 1990 and even wrote the songs herself :)

Guest eroticerotic

i think she was involved as always but she was more on W.E. at the time which is probably why she relied a little more than usual on other people singing demos for her.

Gang Bang was very inspired, if you recall the original version.

Give Me All Your Luvin gets a lot of shit but it's classic Madonna.

Love Spent, Some Girls, I'm A Sinner, Turn Up The Radio, I Don't Give A, I'm Addicted, Masterpiece, are some of her best tracks.

Best Friend, I Fucked Up were pretty personal.

Girl Gone Wild, Superstar, Falling Free, BDay Song, are good. Just not her best. I'd say direction wise. In these tracks is where the rush can be noticed I think. They could have been brilliant.

i think she was involved as always but she was more on W.E. at the time which is probably why she relied a little more than usual on other people singing demos for her.

Gang Bang was very inspired, if you recall the original version.

Give Me All Your Luvin gets a lot of shit but it's classic Madonna.

Love Spent, Some Girls, I'm A Sinner, Turn Up The Radio, I Don't Give A, I'm Addicted, Masterpiece, are some of her best tracks.

Best Friend, I Fucked Up were pretty personal.

Girl Gone Wild, Superstar, Falling Free, BDay Song, are good. Just not her best. I'd say direction wise. In these tracks is where the rush can be noticed I think. They could have been brilliant.

I agree with this entire post except for the fact that Falling Free IMO is one of the most exquisite songs of her career.

don't hate me, but personally I don't really feel Falling free. It feels kind of uninspired imo, like she just wanted to make a ROL-like-mystical-epic-closer song just for the sake of it

don't hate me, but personally I don't really feel Falling free. It feels kind of uninspired imo, like she just wanted to make a ROL-like-mystical-epic-closer song just for the sake of it

I'd never hate you! I know several fans who don't care for it! But to me it's everything.

Guest eroticerotic

I agree with this entire post except for the fact that Falling Free IMO is one of the most exquisite songs of her career.

I totally get what you mean. IN fact I felt the same way. But as I familiarized myself with the lyrics, I felt, it could have been even MORE brilliant. If that makes sense.

That is what I am trying to convey. That magic ingredient is missing. From this song and the other songs I listed as could have been brilliant. Does not negate that they are great! Just...MDNA could have been that much better :).

:lmao:

One thing with this thread is that when all of the MDNA comparisons turn up in all of the new album threads - as they always do - people can be directed straight to this thread and discuss to their heart's content. There could even be a a catch-phrase - Do not pass go, do not collect money but head straight here for the MDNA bashing and comparisons.

Falling Free is everything. It's so delicately beautiful and medieval sounding. I even wanted it to be a single at one point.

Mtzlplk haven't you been reading Madonna fan forums?

Uhm yeah... and i am just glad that 2014 was over... 2014 was hell especially in the rumors thread before the leaks finally spread... it was hard to keep track...

But anyway my question was in relation to the old rumors in the making of MDNA 4 years ago... lots of demos from unknown singers sprouting making it appear like MADONNA got reject materials and made minor changes to make it her own... well she did wonders with MDNA... but I am just glad that with REBEL HEART, it seems that all materials and demos that leaked are songs that she STARTED FROM SCRATCH with co-writers... and the result is breathtaking...

Yup! :yes:

William Orbit and Klas Ã…hlund have only worked together on one occasion and that was during a songwriting camp for what would become Femme Fatale. None of the songs they wrote together were accepted by Britney's label. Orbit himself confirmed that.

Klas Ã…hlund was credited as a co-producer of the final version because it used the same instrumental track as the demo.

Sad thing is that I would probably not mind SG sang by Brit since it sounds like her.

ryan5.gif

Im Breatless is a studio album

In my humble opinion, the short answer to the question in the title of this thread is no, she wasn't.

You guys can insist that she was, but c'mon. She was a lot more involved with W.E. than the album.

But I still like MDNA. It will be interesting to see what songs Madonna chooses from MDNA for tours and how she reworks them to fit current era.