Was MADONNA as involved in music creation in MDNA as with RH?

This is not a diss against MDNA, but i want to recall how much involvement MADONNA was in the creation of MDNA compared to Rebel Heart.... Remember when we hear rumors of other singers just singing on the demos sent to MADONNA then she just records it if she likes it? With REBEL HEART, it was quite obvious that MADONNA was heavily-involved with the help of her Instagram posts throughout 2014 and the product is so superb basing from the 31 songs we've heard......

My opinion, based on nothing but my own thoughts, is that she is always very involved but for whatever reasons, she is simply more PASSIONATE about this project and getting it to as many people as possible. Others may disagree.

Totes! When we first heard that fact the M had session singers sing her vocals for her so producers could work on songs while she was away - says it all! She's certainly giving us the impression that she's been locked in the studio, has she done anything else this year?!?

According to her producers she was very involved in the making of MDNA. Down to picking which snare drums to use. Even the bitter Orbit had to admit she was quite involved.

People who hate MDNA just want to blame Madonna and not themselves.

Edited by Shan

It's useless to use Instagram as the basis. M wasn't active in Instagram prior to making Rebel Heart.

She performed many songs in the MDNA tour. If she didn't care about MDNA, it wasn't apparent with the tour.

MDNA is her first post-divorce studio album. I think she just wants to divert her anger or sadness or grieving by making a dance record. It wouldn't be until Rebel Heart where she'll finally find peace with that event in her life and she'll finally be able to put it in writing or transform it properly into her creative juices.

Just my two cents.

I got nothin' but love for MDNA :inlove: I think the lack of promotion suggested to many that her heart wasn't in it, but she was focused on the tour. I think, if anything, chart performance was not important to her at the time or she would have made time for some promotional appearances. But as far as the amount of work she put into that album compared to this one, it's really hard to say. She wasn't posting to Instagram every day back then, so we didn't know when she was in the studio or how often. For all we know, there are 30 amazing demos for MDNA that never saw the light of day because there was no leak. No doubt, though, she put a lot of work into this album and regardless of how well it fares on the charts, in my heart, it's already paid off without even being released. I love her more now than ever. :inlove:

She was involved with MDNA but distracted. (W.E, etc)

She's in full force with RH! :wow:

oh yeah, i forgot about the W.E. distraction there... actually no one is blaming MDNA... it was actually around the same... we have so many songs in the MDNA album (16)... and if we revisit MDNA, i am sure we can all sing to every song in it... we all loved MDNA when it came out... but there was that nagging doubt back then because of that rumor of those demo singers like that of Revolver...

oh yeah, i forgot about the W.E. distraction there... actually no one is blaming MDNA... it was actually around the same... we have so many songs in the MDNA album (16)... and if we revisit MDNA, i am sure we can all sing to every song in it...

Yes. Didn't work out as a cohesive album but still has great songs.

Of couse she was, but the demos for GGW and Some girls (Before M's input on the songs) are on youtube and they're mostly the same, but those are the only "hit factory" songs on the album I think

I think she wasn't as involved in the actual songwriting as she obviously is this time around, mostly because she was busy editing and later re-editing W.E.

"I'm Addicted", "Superstar", "I Don't Give A", "Beautiful Killer", "I F**ked Up", "B-Day Song" and "Best Friend". were probably co-written by Madonna from scratch.

"Girl Gone Wild": Madonna added the intro and changed a few lyrics to a pre-existing demo recorded by Rosette Sharma.

"Gang Bang": Madonna's first version, titled "Bang Bang" was virtually identical to the original demo sung by Priscilla Renea; however, when she was in the studio to approve the final mix, she was inspired to rework the song completely, re-using only the lyrics.

"Turn Up the Radio": Madonna wrote entirely new lyrics and adjusted the melody of a pre-existing song with vocals by Sunday Girl. Martin Solveig had been playing it in his DJ sets for some time when he submitted it to Madonna.

"Some Girls": Madonna re-wrote some of the lyrics and added the middle eight to a pre-existing demo sung by Bebe Rexha. The song was originally written for Britney Spears' Femme Fatale album, but was rejected by her label.

"I'm a Sinner" was originally conceived by Jean Baptiste and William Orbit, but wasn't finished until Madonna got her hands on it.

"Love Spent" was originally conceived by Jean Baptiste, DJ Replay and Alain Whyte as an instrumental track. Priscilla Renea later wrote lyrics for the song and recorded the first vocal demo. Apart from changing some of the lyrics, Madonna adjusted parts of the melody.

"Falling Free": Laurie Mayer composed the melody based on pre-existing lyrics. There have been conflicting reports whether Joe Henry wrote the lyrics alone or in collaboration with Madonna.

As for "Give Me All Your Luvin'" and "Masterpiece", there have been conflicting reports regarding Madonna's involvement. However, Madonna had never met the co-writers of "Masterpiece" before the Golden Globe ceremony.

I think she wasn't as involved as she obviously is this time around, mostly because she was busy editing and later re-editing W.E.

"I'm Addicted", "Superstar", "I Don't Give A", "Beautiful Killer", "I F**ked Up", "B-Day Song" and "Best Friend". were probably co-written by Madonna from scratch.

"Girl Gone Wild": Madonna added the intro and changed a few lyrics to a pre-existing demo recorded by Rosette Sharma.

"Gang Bang": Madonna's first version, titled "Bang Bang" was virtually identical to the original demo sung by Priscilla Renea; however, when she was in the studio to approve the final mix, she was inspired to rework the song completely, re-using only the lyrics.

"Turn Up the Radio": Madonna wrote entirely new lyrics and adjusted the melody of a pre-existing song with vocals by Sunday Girl. Martin Solveig had been playing it in his DJ sets for some time when he submitted it to Madonna.

"Some Girls": Madonna re-wrote some of the lyrics and added the middle eight to a pre-existing demo sung by Bebe Rexha. The song was originally written for Britney Spears' Femme Fatale album, but was rejected by her label.

"I'm a Sinner" was originally conceived by Jean Baptiste and William Orbit, but wasn't finished until Madonna got her hands on it.

"Love Spent" was originally conceived by Jean Baptiste, DJ Replay and Alain Whyte as an instrumental track. Priscilla Renea later wrote lyrics for the song and recorded the first vocal demo. Apart from changing some of the lyrics, Madonna adjusted parts of the melody.

"Falling Free": Laurie Mayer composed the melody to pre-existing lyrics. There have been conflicting reports whether Joe Henry wrote the lyrics alone or in collaboration with Madonna.

As for "Give Me All Your Luvin'" and "Masterpiece", there have been conflicting reports regarding Madonna's involvement. However, Madonna had never met the co-writers of "Masterpiece" before the Golden Globe ceremony.

A Britney reject? No wonder it is the only track I skip along with Nobody's Perfect and Did You Do It? ***The Skipped Trifecta*** The only three songs in all of her albums that I don't care about. I don't hate NP but it's boring. I NEVER listen to DYDI, it's not an M track in my view and I can barely tolerate SG (now I know why).

None of them are as atrocious as Hey Poo but there's no need to skip that turd since it never stained any of her albums and near perfect discography.

horse-poops-on-ladys-head.gif

Give Me All Your Luvin' has Madonna's songwriting all over it IMO. Whatever you think of it...I love it (except or nicki's rap that was just shoved in there....AND the L-U-V cheerleader shouts). Its very catchy and that line "in another place at a different time you could be my lucky star" is my fav part of the song. Not the best first single choice.

I think Orbit said she worked a lot on the lyrics 4 Falling Free.

She also said she gave up a certain amount of control for Hard Candy

during a Belgian interview. And that people around her told 'it's okay

u've earned it'.

RH is a different animal altogether...u can feel her passion.

"Falling Free": Laurie Mayer composed the melody based on pre-existing lyrics. There have been conflicting reports whether Joe Henry wrote the lyrics alone or in collaboration with Madonna.

I'm surprised about Love Spent and Falling Free. They seem like such personal songs.

it se3ems she´s been involved in all her albums, but that she has put more effort and time in RH than in MDNA and especially in Hard candy. MDNA´s situation reminds me of U2´s pop´s, they thought so much about the tour that the album had less involvment. Of course, that´s an opnion that I have, I don´t have any evidence about it...

I think she wasn't as involved in the actual songwriting as she obviously is this time around, mostly because she was busy editing and later re-editing W.E.

to be honest, this is the first time i've read a summation of the stories behind the songs in MDNA... can't believe how many of it has been done by others already as demos before she came in... from our impression that we're having with Rebel Heart, it seems most of the tracks are from scratch.... MADONNA is really at her best in music creation when nothing is distracting her as huge as making a movie...

Give Me All Your Luvin' has Madonna's songwriting all over it IMO. Whatever you think of it...I love it (except or nicki's rap that was just shoved in there....AND the L-U-V cheerleader shouts). Its very catchy and that line "in another place at a different time you could be my lucky star" is my fav part of the song. Not the best first single choice.

I think GMAYL is the best song since Hung Up. It's pop perfection. It only suffered because it was mis-timed - i see what they were going for with the song, but the risk didn't pay off. If the planets had been in alignment then all the haters would be crawling up GMAYLs ass. I don't care was anyone thinks!

I think GMAYL is the best song since Hung Up. It's pop perfection. It only suffered because it was mis-timed

I love GMAYL but i do get the hate of some MADONNA fans toward it... what i am puzzled with is you say it's "mis-timed"? They released it the weekend of the Superbowl together with the beautiful video, it was also performed during the Superbowl with the one-week radio Clearchannel full support... what was so mis-timed about it?

I think GMAYL is the best song since Hung Up. It's pop perfection. It only suffered because it was mis-timed - i see what they were going for with the song, but the risk didn't pay off. If the planets had been in alignment then all the haters would be crawling up GMAYLs ass. I don't care was anyone thinks!

I think the cheer part put people off. You feel goofy singing that part, even in your head, even all alone. And with other people around...its like next please!!

Agree with others, M seemed distracted with side projects while recording MDNA. It did come across at the time she was much more passionate and animated when discussing WE, but not so much the album. Her artistic vision for the era probably shined best though the Super Bowl and amazing tour, and I think some fans might argue the music videos.

A Britney reject?

Yup! :yes:

William Orbit and Klas Ã…hlund have only worked together on one occasion and that was during a songwriting camp for what would become Femme Fatale. None of the songs they wrote together were accepted by Britney's label. Orbit himself confirmed that.

Klas Ã…hlund was credited as a co-producer of the final version because it used the same instrumental track as the demo.

GMAYL and GGW were great videos... her dancing in GGW was quite 'refreshing' then... when did she last properly danced in a video right? as for TUTR video it was ok, she's beautiful in it, just an uneventful but fun video...

I'm surprised about Love Spent and Falling Free. They seem like such personal songs.

As for "Love Spent", I think it resonated with Madonna because it very much expresses how I suppose Madonna must have felt when she recorded it. :)

I never understood the hate for GMAYL. I love it. But the demo was better because I preferred Madonna chants over Nicki and MIA.

Mainly due to the original chants, the leaked demo sounded better to me as well.