October 30th 2015 marks the 20th Anniversary of "You'll See"

Crux

Maybe i'm a little premature in creating this thread but after listening to this beautiful ballad today, I can't believe we'll be celebrating it's 20th birthday on the 30th of October. It still sounds glorious and remarkably fresh to this day. It's a masterpiece.

The "Something to Remember" album was released with the intention of toning down the image of Madonna, who was heavily criticized at the time. The singer decided to work with producer David Foster who co-wrote and produced three songs with Madonna in September 1995. "You'll See" was released on October 30, 1995 as the first single from the "Something To Remember" album. The latin pop ballad received uniformly excellent reviews from contemporary critics, being described as "the defiant roar back of a lioness who's been on the ropes".

"You'll See" was commercially successful, reaching the top five in Austria, Canada, Finland, Italy and the United Kingdom. The single managed to peak at number six on the billboard hot 100 making Madonna one of the only three artists in the Hot 100 history to have a hit peak at each position from one to ten on the chart. The accompanying music video was directed by Michael Haussman as a sequel to Madonna's previous music video for "Take A Bow". An alternate Spanish version, written by Argentine singer-songwriter Paz Martinez, also received a music video, and was included on the Latin American edition of Something to Remember.

220px-You%27ll_See_Madonna.png

Jesus Christ, this woman. You think you have your list of all time greatest in your head, then you remember ten others. What a flawless, powerful, mournful but triumphant gem of a song delivered as only she can. Happy birthday!

This song truly is a masterpiece! So classy and powerful.

How many times have you secretly wanted to sing this to someone who has wronged you? It's the perfect I'm moving on message.

Can't believe it's been 20 years and I still love it (see my profile picture!)

Totally agree with you guys, this song is a pure masterpiece. It's just perfect vocally, musically and lyrically. Probably her most underrated ballad, it deserved a Live to Tell kind of success.

I totally loved this song since the first listen. It came as a shock after the disappointing (for me) BS album. I was underwhelmed by it not charting at N 1 as it should. Plus it must be her best vocal performance! One of her very best power ballads. Its like the father of Ghosttown :)

the spanish version is surprsingly good,she sounds as a native speaker

about the song:this was a time of my life when I needed dance and party,and these albums weren't for like that.you'll see sounded too celine dion,too david foster for my taste.but i loved the voice, and that video,she looked perfect.I started liking the song in 2001,after her rformance in DWT .I still don't understand why she didn't sing it everywhere

I love this song and the video ( Sequel to Take A Bow ) was lovely . I remembered her performing this song on Top Of the Pops in UK.

That was the first time she'd performed on British TV since LAV in pink wig.

Unreal that it's coming up on 20 yrs for this song. This still feels like "newer" Madonna to me simply because this period along with Evita/giving birth to Lola was such a pivotal period in her life and career. Its a very distinct line between the "old" and "new" Madonna. My memories of hearing this on the radio for the first time, buying the single and closely watching it's chart run are all very vivid to me. I was absolutely floored the first time I heard this song. I didn't think she would ever be capable of singing that way. And how perfect was that video for the time of year it was? The beautiful fall colors and just overall "somber" quality of the video were just perfect.

And to think she was already a bonafide legend by this point. It's scary how quickly time is going by. :(

Unreal that it's coming up on 20 yrs for this song. This still feels like "newer" Madonna to me simply because this period along with Evita/giving birth to Lola was such a pivotal period in her life and career. Its a very distinct line between the "old" and "new" Madonna. My memories of hearing this on the radio for the first time, buying the single and closely watching it's chart run are all very vivid to me. I was absolutely floored the first time I heard this song. I didn't think she would ever be capable of singing that way. And how perfect was that video for the time of year it was? The beautiful fall colors and just overall "somber" quality of the video were just perfect.

And to think she was already a bonafide legend by this point. It's scary how quickly time is going by. :(

Totally agree with everything you said here. And yes, it's amazing to think she was a seasoned, accomplished superstar then and many were saying she was past her prime (blah,blah,blah)... and now it's 20 years later and she's just as big as ever. How is that possible?? :lol:

It is amazing that it is 20 years. Does not seem even half that time. So agree with you Kurt about the video. It was just gorgeous in every way and Madonna looks like an Autumn Goddess rising above her melancholy sadness to live again. This is the type of break up song that is sad and empowering.

Totally agree with everything you said here. And yes, it's amazing to think she was a seasoned, accomplished superstar then and many were saying she was past her prime (blah,blah,blah)... and now it's 20 years later and she's just as big as ever. How is that possible?? :lol:

Bill, I know - how is it possible ? :laugh: Madonna is just beyond being a superstar, she is a force of nature.

@Bill and jazzy

There never has been and there never will be another! We really chose the right one to follow when we were kids huh? Lol Never would've imagined 20 yrs ago that she would still be doing it all so well in 2015. Her voice is sounding phenomenal on the RH songs, I think it's time to bust out a BIG, GRAND version of Youll See on the next tour!

**to think I was worried about her having to "slow down" as she was approaching 40 (LMAO!). She was well into her touring "drought" at this point and I thought that I would either never get the opportunity to see her or that she would be "too old" to be able to do the types of shows she was known for. Boy I couldn't have been more wrong with that line of thinking!

My alltime favorite ballad by Madonna.

I really love Madonnas 90s ballads. They are so full of soul and darkness but on the other side with strenghness.

Youll see, Take a bow, I want you, Live to tell, To have and not to hold and Xtatic Process are the best ballads she had

@Bill and jazzy

There never has been and there never will be another! We really chose the right one to follow when we were kids huh? Lol Never would've imagined 20 yrs ago that she would still be doing it all so well in 2015. Her voice is sounding phenomenal on the RH songs, I think it's time to bust out a BIG, GRAND version of Youll See on the next tour!

**to think I was worried about her having to "slow down" as she was approaching 40 (LMAO!). She was well into her touring "drought" at this point and I thought that I would either never get the opportunity to see her or that she would be "too old" to be able to do the types of shows she was known for. Boy I couldn't have been more wrong with that line of thinking!

We sure did!!! Just think about our alternatives back then and where they are now... Michael, Janet, Whitney... Not bashing them at all, but we definitely made the right choice. She has only gotten better with age. It's funny, when I was a kid in 1991 and completely obsessed with her 33 year old self, she was a God to me. An untouchable megastar. As I've matured, she's much more humanized to me but no less inspiring. In fact, I think she's even more impressive now, after seeing all that she's been through, coming out bigger and better than ever. There's really nothing I can say that I haven't said before, and I just don't have the words in my vocabulary to express how much in awe I am of this woman and her achievements. She is a true idol.

We sure did!!! Just think about our alternatives back then and where they are now... Michael, Janet, Whitney... Not bashing them at all, but we definitely made the right choice. She has only gotten better with age. It's funny, when I was a kid in 1991 and completely obsessed with her 33 year old self, she was a God to me. An untouchable megastar. As I've matured, she's much more humanized to me but no less inspiring. In fact, I think she's even more impressive now, after seeing all that she's been through, coming out bigger and better than ever. There's really nothing I can say that I haven't said before, and I just don't have the words in my vocabulary to express how much in awe I am of this woman and her achievements. She is a true idol.

Great post! And to think she was the one without any "real talent" that would falter when her sex appeal started to diminish. I also had this "Goddess" like view of her as a youngster. She seemed completely untouchable and the fact that she DIDNT turn up on every show and at every award event made her all the more intriguing. I think my age and her accessibility on the Internet has humanized her more for me as well but she is still just as fascinating and inspiring!

Great post! And to think she was the one without any "real talent" that would falter when her sex appeal started to diminish. I also had this "Goddess" like view of her as a youngster. She seemed completely untouchable and the fact that she DIDNT turn up on every show and at every award event made her all the more intriguing. I think my age and her accessibility on the Internet has humanized her more for me as well but she is still just as fascinating and inspiring!

Well, they still might be right because I think she's sexier than ever, so we'll see! :lol: Just kidding of course. And yes, she had a unique way of keeping herself very much in the public eye without being overly accessible and/or overexposed. She was everywhere, and yet still somehow very mysterious and intriguing. What a genius!

You'll See took me a long time to get into. Much like Frozen. I love both but neither were instant likes for me. Even though I loved Something to remember, the whole era as well as Evita just dragged I couldn't wait for it to be over with and Madonna onto a new album.