A League Of Their Own...

tasteinmen

I couldn't find a thread on this, as I'm unable to search.

I was flicking through the channels to discover A League of their Own had literally just started on the Sony Channel. I've never seen this movie before so I was excited to watch it.

Watching it, it's so bizarre to think this was released 23 years ago, Madonna has dark hair, and soon after filming Madonna would be working on her SEX book and recording Erotica.

I really enjoyed Madonna's role in the film, she was flirty, full of attitude and generally Madonna. Oh and lets not forget TUTBMP, beautiful song.

I did some research on the film and was a bit upset to find a letter she wrote to Steven Meisel about her time making the movie, it seems she didn't like the cast much nor the location. Although I've seen outtake footage of her and Rosie O Donnell having fun, I'm sure they are friends?

What are your thoughts on the movie?

P.S. I wonder if Madonna knows her personal letters are on the internet for everyone to read... if she's annoyed about unreleased images imagine how she'd feel about her personal letters??!!!

Dear Steven

For some reason I thought you were angry with me - because I finked out as a judge at the "Love Ball"? Because I'm still nice to Herb Ritts?? Because my hair is the wrong color? I hope you will forgive me for all of the above. Because I cannot suffer any more than I have in the past month learning how to play baseball with a bunch of girls (yuk) in Chicago (double yuk) I have a tan, I am dirty all day and I hardly ever wear make-up. Penny Marshall is Lavern - Geena Davis is a Barbie doll and when God decided where the beautiful men were going to live in the world, he did not choose Chicago. I have made a few friends but they are athletes, not actresses. I hate actresses, they have nothing on the house of extravaganza. I wish I could come to N.Y and visit. Are you having a good Summer? Saw the piece in the N.Y Times Magazine. Great!! - I would love to do this book thing with you so lets talk soon.

THANKS ALOT STEVEN!!

Love Dita

I adore this movie. It's a cute, sentimental film that is easy to enjoy, and Madonna and Rosie are a hoot. Madonna does a great job.

As a side note, TUTBMP is one of my personal favorite songs, but I really don't associate it with the film at all.

I adore this movie. It's a cute, sentimental film that is easy to enjoy, and Madonna and Rosie are a hoot. Madonna does a great job.

As a side note, TUTBMP is one of my personal favorite songs, but I really don't associate it with the film at all.

I agree, although TUTBMP is obviously the soundtrack, when the credits came it on it was bizarre hearing it.

I also agree that the movie is cute and sentimental, which is why it's bizarre what would come next (even though Erotica is one of my favourite era's).

I agree, although TUTBMP is obviously the soundtrack, when the credits came it on it was bizarre hearing it.

I also agree that the movie is cute and sentimental, which is why it's bizarre what would come next (even though Erotica is one of my favourite era's).

Yes it is haha. Erotica era is sandwiched between TUTBMP and I'll Remember, which just sums up the woman's versatility.

When Playground was released, there had been no new Madonna music since the two cuts on TIC and a long time since an album. The song was huge, it raced into the Billboard top ten within weeks, knocked Baby Got Back (a mammoth hit at the time) off of top spot, then spent several more weeks in the top ten. It also topped the R&R chart for a month. Song was huge, and the beautiful photo album video was played a lot on MTV.

I couldn't find a thread on this, as I'm unable to search.

I was flicking through the channels to discover A League of their Own had literally just started on the Sony Channel. I've never seen this movie before so I was excited to watch it.

Watching it, it's so bizarre to think this was released 23 years ago, Madonna has dark hair, and soon after filming Madonna would be working on her SEX book and recording Erotica.

Dear Steven

For some reason I thought you were angry with me - because I finked out as a judge at the "Love Ball"? Because I'm still nice to Herb Ritts?? Because my hair is the wrong color? I hope you will forgive me for all of the above. Because I cannot suffer any more than I have in the past month learning how to play baseball with a bunch of girls (yuk) in Chicago (double yuk) I have a tan, I am dirty all day and I hardly ever wear make-up. Penny Marshall is Lavern - Geena Davis is a Barbie doll and when God decided where the beautiful men were going to live in the world, he did not choose Chicago. I have made a few friends but they are athletes, not actresses. I hate actresses, they have nothing on the house of extravaganza. I wish I could come to N.Y and visit. Are you having a good Summer? Saw the piece in the N.Y Times Magazine. Great!! - I would love to do this book thing with you so lets talk soon.

THANKS ALOT STEVEN!!

Love Dita

:rotfl:

Yes it is haha. Erotica era is sandwiched between TUTBMP and I'll Remember, which just sums up the woman's versatility.

When Playground was released, there had been no new Madonna music since the two cuts on TIC and a long time since an album. The song was huge, it raced into the Billboard top ten within weeks, knocked Baby Got Back (a mammoth hit at the time) off of top spot, then spent several more weeks in the top ten. It also topped the R&R chart for a month. Song was huge, and the beautiful photo album video was played a lot on MTV.

She definitely has vitality, it's like how ROL album was followed by Beautiful Stranger, ROL was such a serious album, and Beautiful Stranger is fun in every way, from the lyrics to the video rubbing her arse on Austin Powers.

I love I'll Remember, I've always sort of considered it to be Rain part 2 because the video is similar and so is the mood of the song.

ALOTO/TUTBMP was the last vestige of Madonna's "golden/imperial era." Erotica would move her into new territory and the untouchable pop star she had been up to that point. In a way, TUTBMP is sort of like saying goodbye to the Madonna of the 80's and very early 90's.

ALOTO/TUTBMP was the last vestige of Madonna's "golden/imperial era." Erotica would move her into new territory and the untouchable pop star she had been up to that point. In a way, TUTBMP is sort of like saying goodbye to the Madonna of the 80's and very early 90's.

Very nicely stated, and very moving.

but TUTBMP was from Erotica sessions

but TUTBMP was from Erotica sessions

It was, but thematically, it doesn't fit in with that era.

I often think of it as the bookend to her fist era of dominance. On paper, one would say that would be The Immaculate Collection, but for me, TUTBMP is the bookend to the first chapter, as least thematically. Erotica was the beginning of the next chapter, and probably "90's Madonna" for me.