True Blue/American Life singles

Shane

I don't know if this belongs here or in chart forum.

Is the True Blue situation in which Live To Tell was released a few months ahead of the album generally considered the same thing as DAD being released in advance of AL album? Sometimes you hear people refer to AL as the lead single from AL, but I never hear anyone call PDP the first single from True Blue.

Back in the day, people would refer to LTT as having been pre-released, but singles are basically always pre-released. Not sure why that term was batted around in that instance.

So does the difference in perception have more to do with how many months ahead of its album DAD was released compared to LTT, or is it more due to Madonna's intentions about what would be included on her album?

The gap between the release of LTT and TB was lesser than that of DADay and AL, so that could be it.

However, Madonna always planned to include DADay on AL- Rick Deed asked her in November 2002 and she confirmed as much. But, calling DADay the lead single would be a bit of a stretch. AL is the one that got kickstarted the album campaign (as botched as it became, with her pulling the video).

PDP also kickstarted TB, but there really was no album campaign, as she didn't do any televised performances/appearances at the time. :)

On a side note, when LTT hit No. 1, it was just one of a few instances where the No. 1 single was not available on any album.

The gap between DAD and AL wasn't that long, I recall DAD was played all the time the whole last quarter of 2002, then the AL single premiered early 2003.

I think because DAD was a James Bond song and sounded like a James Bond song, it became associated with the movie (which was huge).

It seems as though people generally think it's a joke to consider DAD the first single off of AL. But LTT seems universally acknowledged as the first single off True Blue. Just an interesting comparison. HolidayGuy provided some perspective for me. I like to ponder the intricacies of the Queen's career.

I know some fans have different thoughts about this, but I'm pretty sure the general consensus is that LTT is considered the lead single from TB, whereas DAD was not the lead single from AL. There was only two months between the release of LTT and PDP. They were basically back to back. There was a whole six months between DAD and AL and I think M was even still working on the album when DAD was out.

I know some fans have different thoughts about this, but I'm pretty sure the general consensus is that LTT is considered the lead single from TB, whereas DAD was not the lead single from AL. There was only two months between the release of LTT and PDP. They were basically back to back. There was a whole six months between DAD and AL and I think M was even still working on the album when DAD was out.

Live To Tell was always considered the first single on True Blue. It's only in the last couple of years on the internet that I've heard one or two people mention that it may have not been but having lived through it, I can say from a UK perspective, it was always talked as the first single from True Blue. Nobody bought soundtrack albums back then either so it was never like that was pushed as an alternative. And the film tanked in the UK although it was very good, I seem to remember.

There was no At Close Range soundtrack so LTT was promoting a film, but also promoting the upcoming Madonna album.

Die Another Day was released to promote the DAD movie/ soundtrack, and was later included on AL.

IMO Live To Tell is TB's lead single, and AL is American Life's. AL did end up containing a top 10 hit, because DAD is on it.

I remember her saying DAD was definitely part of the then upcoming AL album, but she sort of also let the interviewer know that the 1st single was going to be AL the song.

Both LTT and Vogue were released about two months before their respective albums and both stated on their sleeves that they were from the upcoming album. DAD only mentioned the movie. DAD was probably not intended to be part of AL at first.

Both LTT and Vogue were released about two months before their respective albums and both stated on their sleeves that they were from the upcoming album. DAD only mentioned the movie. DAD was probably not intended to be part of AL at first.

That's the weird thing, play anyone DAD and they would think it a part of the American life album ( same with LTT and true blue). However vogue sticks out like a sore thumb on I'm Breathless ( from a music perspective ) and was originally Keep It Togethers b-side. Warner's and Madonna certainly knew how to milk a single for all it's worth ;)

Madonna_Vogue_7599-21513-2.jpg

"From the Sire/Warner Bros album I'M BREATHLESS Available on LP Cassette and Compact Disc" - Single came out March 20, 1990, which was two months ahead of album.

madonna-live-tell-96.jpg

"From the forthcoming MADONNA album on Sire Records..." - Single came out March 26, 1986 which was three months before album.

vs.

"Original version from the forthcoming CD: Music from the MGM Motion Picture DIE ANOTHER DAY" - Released on October 22, 2002 and appeared on the movie soundtrack released on November 12, 2002. The AL album was released six months later. American Pie was added to the Music album after being released a little bit over five months prior.

Madonna-Die-Another-Day-225697.jpg

MY VERDICT: DAD is not the first single as it was a soundtrack song that was added later to the album just like American Pie.

Madonna_Vogue_7599-21513-2.jpg

"From the Sire/Warner Bros album I'M BREATHLESS Available on LP Cassette and Compact Disc" - Single came out March 20, 1990, which was two months ahead of album.

madonna-live-tell-96.jpg

"From the forthcoming MADONNA album on Sire Records..." - Single came out March 26, 1986 which was three months before album.

vs.

"Original version from the forthcoming CD: Music from the MGM Motion Picture DIE ANOTHER DAY" - Released on October 22, 2002 and appeared on the movie soundtrack released on November 12, 2002. The AL album was released six months later. American Pie was added to the Music album after being released a little bit over five months prior.

Madonna-Die-Another-Day-225697.jpg

MY VERDICT: DAD is not the first single as it was a soundtrack song that was added later to the album just like American Pie.

Well done!

In the 70s and 80s it was very common for an album to be released after the second or even third single. Live To Tell is the lead single from TB.

What I really want to know is, was AMERICAN PIE the lead single from MUSIC? :madgemanson:

American Pie is not included in some editions of the album. So no.

In the 70s and 80s it was very common for an album to be released after the second or even third single. Live To Tell is the lead single from TB.

Agreed! And at the Shanghai Surprise press conference in early 1986 our Madge spoke about her forthcoming album called Live To Tell!

Yes- as Je5u5 posted, APie was not included on all editions of the Music album, unlike "Die Another Day" and American Life. M always planned to include DADay on AL, which wasn't the case with Music.

I would not regard DADay as the lead single from AL- but, AL indeed houses a top 10 hit. :)