RollingStone Q+A with Madonna on 'Rebel Heart' album!!!!

ryan

Fantastic interview. When interviewers bother to ask interesting questions she always gives interesting answers.

Yes! And the flip side of that is when people have accuses her of being annoyed interviews, it's almost always because the questions were so damn lame.

You said you wanted every song on this album to stand on its own without production, to be able to strip down each track to its acoustic root and still have it work. Was that something you'd thought about on past albums?

No, I didn't. A lot of times I just thought about sounds. Or I want to make a dance record, or I want to write a ballad. This time I really thought — this is all part of my Armageddon thinking right now — the world is changing and for me, it's like, OK, what does it all come down to at the end of the day? It comes down to the songs.

If you're alone at the end of the world, can you just perform the songs?

Yes. If it's just me and the guitar, can I still do it? All the songs, I needed to be able to break them down on the most simple level and be able to impart what I have to say with my voice and a guitar.

That's why all of those melodies are there and that's why I see Grammys in the horizon...

So interesting. Not many artists today go to this length to talk about their album process. I do wish critics would read these interviews before they start judging the songs and music. They would get a better understanding where she was coming from during the process.