Rebel Heart Reviews

markm

Some of us don't want spoilers or some reviews of unfinished songs. Ugh.

Are you and I the only ones who haven't listened to demos? I haven't even popped into Demos thread yet lmao.

I love that you just compared M to an Angelou poem. So fitting <3

Thanks love. It's so true. She's taken so much negativity and criticism over the years and spun it all into gold. Madonna turns their hate into fuel. We all should take a page from M.'s big book on getting over the negatives we encounter.

Are you and I the only ones who haven't listened to demos? I haven't even popped into Demos thread yet lmao.

I only listened to the rebel heart 30 second leak as I couldn't resist hearing what this album could sound like. I have no interest in hearing unfinished or jettisoned ideas and tracks. I want the finished project. You don't applaud the tenor for clearing his throat so why waste time on songs madonna may not think are up to snuff?

You most definitely are not. I have not listened to any of the leaks except for RH and Wash that leaked in the beginning.

The other two main batches I have had nothing to do with.

I only listened to the rebel heart 30 second leak as I couldn't resist hearing what this album could sound like. I have no interest in hearing unfinished or jettisoned ideas and tracks. I want the finished project. You don't applaud the tenor for clearing his throat so why waste time on songs madonna may not think are up to snuff?

This.

In the new issue of People magazine (it has Princess Kate on the cover) there is a half page review of the Rebel Heart songs with a beautiful full color picture of her with the red top and the leopard skin outfit. They say the songs are terrific and their favorite ones are Living for Love and Ghosttown. (I don't see it on their website.)

In the new issue of People magazine (it has Princess Kate on the cover) there is a half page review of the Rebel Heart songs with a beautiful full color picture of her with the red top and the leopard skin outfit. They say the songs are terrific and their favorite ones are Living for Love and Ghosttown. (I don't see it on their website.)

YES! So much yes.

Everyone is so preoccupied with Gaga that no one has commented on the post above re: Jim Farber in the NY Daily News going so far as to review the demos. I would be annoyed if I was Madonna, although at least he is positive. I had to skim the article as I don't want any spoilers.

Ooops. Sorry. I deleted it.

This.

And I have to say, I don't begrudge anyone who listened. I understand that impulse for sure. It's hard to not take the candy dangled right in front of your face. I am just so old school I love the whole roll out on an official basis.

And I have to say, I don't begrudge anyone who listened. I understand that impulse for sure. It's hard to not take the candy dangled right in front of your face. I am just so old school I love the whole roll out on an official basis.

Same goes for me. Actually I feel like the 6 released songs are not official yet :lol: like I have to delete to other 5 and focus on the first single only (Living for Love) and then just wait for the rest of the album, to feel it as a whole. :lol: #nontraditionalfirstlisteningforaMadonnaalbum

Same goes for me. Actually I feel like the 6 released songs are not official yet :lol: like I have to delete to other 5 and focus on the first single only (Living for Love) and then just wait for the rest of the album, to feel it as a whole. :lol: #nontraditionalfirstlisteningforaMadonnaalbum

love you. mean it.

Don't know about the others but only listened to RH and WOAM and that's enough. Not interested in more demos, song titles or reviews and not after what happened. :)

I have only listened to the Rebel Heart and Wash all over me demos. Absolutely loved them but don't want to hear anymore. Saving it all for when the album is released.

I think I will start another new album thread without demos !

Songs of 2014 according to Boston Herald http://t.co/r27tGeSkne

23. “Living For Love,” Madonna — “True Blue” fans will hear joy and nostalgia. The beat pulses with today’s energy, but the hook and harmonies recall old school Madge — check out how Madonna and producer Diplo pair the drop with a bright, buoyant gospel refrain.

159. “Devil Pray,” Madonna — Producer Avicii helps balance of Material Girl and modern Madge with trending (or formerly trending) EDM tricks.

23. “Living For Love,” Madonna — “True Blue” fans will hear joy and nostalgia. The beat pulses with today’s energy, but the hook and harmonies recall old school Madge — check out how Madonna and producer Diplo pair the drop with a bright, buoyant gospel refrain.

Great!

159. “Devil Pray,” Madonna — Producer Avicii helps balance of Material Girl and modern Madge with trending (or formerly trending) EDM tricks.

Ok have they actually listened to the song?

23. Living For Love, Madonna True Blue fans will hear joy and nostalgia. The beat pulses with todays energy, but the hook and harmonies recall old school Madge check out how Madonna and producer Diplo pair the drop with a bright, buoyant gospel refrain.

159. Devil Pray, Madonna Producer Avicii helps balance of Material Girl and modern Madge with trending (or formerly trending) EDM tricks.

:thumbsup:

I don't want to be the bearer of bad tidings but this review made me furious. I don't think this guy even listened to the songs.

https://www.metroweekly.com/2014/12/madonna-previews-upcoming-rebel-heart-album-with-six-new-tracks/

Madonna is the latest high-profile victim of cyber-hackers in the entertainment industry. Earlier this month, unfinished demos of tracks purportedly recorded for her upcoming album, Rebel Heart, were leaked, and spread through the internet like wildfire. The unauthorized leaking of the demos infuriated the star, prompting her to release six tracks from Rebel Heart earlier than planned. “Unapologetic Bitch,” “Devil Pray,” “Illuminati,” “Bitch I’m Madonna,” “Ghosttown” and first single “Living for Love” are available for purchase on iTunes now.

So how are the Queen of Pop’s first new songs since her MDNA album from nearly three years ago? Well, the easy answer is if you enjoyed the uneven MDNA, perhaps you’ll like Rebel Heart, at least based on the six songs released thus far. Perhaps.Rebel Heart once again finds Madonna working with the hot DJs and producers of the moment. Diplo, Avicii, Mike Dean, SOPHIE, DJ Dahi and Blood Diamonds are among her choice of collaborators. Unfortunately none of the new songs add anything remotely essential or even interesting to Madonna’s peerless catalog of pop music. Collectively they are a massive disappointment.

“Living For Love,” as a first single, fails to generate much excitement. Featuring Alicia Keys on piano, it’s a somewhat catchy upbeat track, but lacks a truly strong melodic hook. It’s not on par with singles like “Turn Up the Radio” and “Girl Gone Wild” fromMDNA – not a good sign. Compared to prior lead singles by Madonna (classics like “Hung Up,” “Music,” “Frozen,” “Like a Prayer”) it’s not in the same stratosphere. “Devil Pray” echoes faintly of much better days (there is a hint of “Like a Prayer” thematically and melodically), but the song detours into a morality session set to stale, lightweight electronica, courtesy Avicii. Much better is the apocalyptic “Ghosttown,” a mid-tempo number that at least has some passion and a bit of intensity – it’s easily the best of the new tracks. Kanye West co-produced “Illuminati,” in which Madonna tweaks conspiracy theorists who see the secret society as the world’s ultimate puppet-masters. It’s all a bit ridiculous.

The electro-reggae “Unapologetic Bitch” and the frenetic, dubstep-flavored “Bitch I’m Madonna” (featuring a high-profile appearance by Nicki Minaj) scream of desperation. They’re embarrassing. Madonna seems to be putting a higher priority on asserting her pop dominance and maintaining relevance with the current batch of vacuous Top 40 pop tarts than in releasing great music. She needs to listen to Beyoncé’s most recent self-titled album to hear what a mature, sexy, fun and innovative pop album can sound like in today’s musical climate, or to Prince’s slick, quirky new “Art Official Age” to hear how a veteran artist can successfully navigate today’s pop landscape and sound current and fresh without frantically clinging to the coattails of a younger generation. Madonna has nothing to prove; her status as an innovator and a legend in pop music is secure. Unfortunately, with her last couple of albums – Hard Candy and MDNA – she seems to have lost her way. Both albums have strong moments and neither of them are terrible by any stretch of the imagination, but they are also a long way from her best work. Madonna has become a chaser of trends, not the trail-blazer she’s been for most of her career; and the early indications with Rebel Heart are that she is continuing down this path.

So far, pop music fans appear to be responding to Madonna’s new material with indifference. As of this writing, the highest placement of the new songs is “Bitch I’m Madonna,” at #179 on iTunes singles chart. The pre-order of the album, despite prominent visible placement on iTunes, is #26. Not exactly a tsunami of excitement. But who knows? Perhaps things will change when the full album is released in March, and perhaps it will contain material stronger. Hopefully that’s the case, because judging from these six songs, Madonna is creeping dangerously close to territory that she’s never before explored: complete irrelevance.

^ He comes across as a typical Madonna hater. Putting a few little praises in to try and look like they are unbiased but using the same old criticisms and put-downs that her main detractors always use. Plus I never understand why reviewers bring up past albums to trash and compare her to other artists that they obviously prefer so much. So unprofessional as a reviewer.

I don't want to be the bearer of bad tidings but this review made me furious. I don't think this guy even listened to the songs.

https://www.metroweekly.com/2014/12/madonna-previews-upcoming-rebel-heart-album-with-six-new-tracks/

Madonna is the latest high-profile victim of cyber-hackers in the entertainment industry. Earlier this month, unfinished demos of tracks purportedly recorded for her upcoming album, Rebel Heart, were leaked, and spread through the internet like wildfire. The unauthorized leaking of the demos infuriated the star, prompting her to release six tracks from Rebel Heart earlier than planned. “Unapologetic Bitch,” “Devil Pray,” “Illuminati,” “Bitch I’m Madonna,” “Ghosttown” and first single “Living for Love” are available for purchase on iTunes now.

So how are the Queen of Pop’s first new songs since her MDNA album from nearly three years ago? Well, the easy answer is if you enjoyed the uneven MDNA, perhaps you’ll like Rebel Heart, at least based on the six songs released thus far. Perhaps.Rebel Heart once again finds Madonna working with the hot DJs and producers of the moment. Diplo, Avicii, Mike Dean, SOPHIE, DJ Dahi and Blood Diamonds are among her choice of collaborators. Unfortunately none of the new songs add anything remotely essential or even interesting to Madonna’s peerless catalog of pop music. Collectively they are a massive disappointment.

“Living For Love,” as a first single, fails to generate much excitement. Featuring Alicia Keys on piano, it’s a somewhat catchy upbeat track, but lacks a truly strong melodic hook. – not a good sign. Compared to prior lead singles by Madonna (classics like “Hung Up,” “Music,” “Frozen,” “Like a Prayer”) it’s not in the same stratosphere. “Devil Pray” echoes faintly of much better days (there is a hint of “Like a Prayer” thematically and melodically), but the song detours into a morality session set to stale, lightweight electronica, courtesy Avicii. Much better is the apocalyptic “Ghosttown,” a mid-tempo number that at least has some passion and a bit of intensity – it’s easily the best of the new tracks. Kanye West co-produced “Illuminati,” in which Madonna tweaks conspiracy theorists who see the secret society as the world’s ultimate puppet-masters. It’s all a bit ridiculous.

The electro-reggae “Unapologetic Bitch” and the frenetic, dubstep-flavored “Bitch I’m Madonna” (featuring a high-profile appearance by Nicki Minaj) scream of desperation. They’re embarrassing. Madonna seems to be putting a higher priority on asserting her pop dominance and maintaining relevance with the current batch of vacuous Top 40 pop tarts than in releasing great music. She needs to listen to Beyoncé’s most recent self-titled album to hear what a mature, sexy, fun and innovative pop album can sound like in today’s musical climate, or to Prince’s slick, quirky new “Art Official Age” to hear how a veteran artist can successfully navigate today’s pop landscape and sound current and fresh without frantically clinging to the coattails of a younger generation. Madonna has nothing to prove; her status as an innovator and a legend in pop music is secure. Unfortunately, with her last couple of albums – Hard Candy and MDNA – she seems to have lost her way. Both albums have strong moments and neither of them are terrible by any stretch of the imagination, but they are also a long way from her best work. Madonna has become a chaser of trends, not the trail-blazer she’s been for most of her career; and the early indications with Rebel Heart are that she is continuing down this path.

So far, pop music fans appear to be responding to Madonna’s new material with indifference. As of this writing, the highest placement of the new songs is “Bitch I’m Madonna,” at #179 on iTunes singles chart. The pre-order of the album, despite prominent visible placement on iTunes, is #26. Not exactly a tsunami of excitement. But who knows? Perhaps things will change when the full album is released in March, and perhaps it will contain material stronger. Hopefully that’s the case, because judging from these six songs, Madonna is creeping dangerously close to territory that she’s never before explored: complete irrelevance.

"Living For Love" reminds me a bit of a gospel version of "Deeper and Deeper." It sounds like the reviewer was hoping for another "Like A Prayer." "Devil Prays" is amazing. It's like a beefed-up version of "I Deserve it!" 1:20-1:50 is heavenly! How can he consider that stale?! "B, I'm Madonna" is fantastic. I hope it's a single (or at least gets a grand performance a la "Give Me All Your Luvin' from MDNA tour). I thought the album went to #1 on itunes as a pre-release? Ah well, people will make up their own mind. :)

^ Why the f**k is metro weekly writer putting down M while claiming Bey is a sexy and innovative artist with her latest work.

Bey is mainstream as mainstream is she not innovative or ground breaking. She also repeated herself many times in her music and style even though she has some good songs.

What is Metro Weekly?

It's a free weekly gay magazine here in Washington, DC. Maybe I should have ignored it, but I don't believe in censorship. I believe in freedom and posting the good, the bad and the ugly and letting everyone make up their minds for themselves.

It's a free weekly gay magazine here in Washington, DC. Maybe I should have ignored it, but I don't believe in censorship. I believe in freedom and posting the good, the bad and the ugly and letting everyone make up their minds for themselves.

I understand that, but it's obvious that this review is the same old review we have been reading about Madonna's music for years. "She is embarrassing, she is chasing trends, she is irrelevant", "her lead singles are weak" etc."

Madonna Sings About Sniffing Glue on Her Great New Album 'Rebel Heart' by Mitchell Sunderland

On paper, Madonna singing about the Illuminati sounds atrocious, but Rebel Heart is easily Madge's best album in at least 16 years. The artist initially planned to drop the album in the spring, but after a series of tracks leaked, she decided to release the first six song on iTunes, three months before the whole album comes out in March.

When the songs premiered, gay Twitter naturally exploded—some people were literally downloading the tracks on their smartphones at gay bars—but many fans expected little from Madonna's 13th album. Since her 1998 comeback Ray of Light, Madonna has released five full-lengths, but only two have been truly worthwhile: Music and Confessions on a Dance Floor. In recent years, instead of collaborating with relatively obscure producers as she did on classics like Erotica and Ray of Light, Madonna has hired major names like Timbaland and Benny Benassi. The results, 2008's Hard Candy and 2012'sMDNA, sounded tepid. On "Give Me All Your Luvin'," a 2012 song featuring Nicki Minaj and MIA, she sounded downright bland when placed next to the rappers' swag, like the queen of pop was attempting to reclaim her title from female MCs who had never stolen her throne in the first place. Coupled with and a lackluster grinding session with Miley Cyrus, some fans believed Madonna had lost her cran awkward Super Bowl performanceeative way and become a vampire lusting after her competitors' youth.

Rebel Heart takes this critique and uses it as gasoline for empowerment anthems and vulnerable confessions perfect for the surreal, tragic year known as 2014 . The lead single "Living for Love" discusses surviving after a breakup with a guy Madonna left herself vulnerable to. (The person could easily be her haters.) "I'm gonna carry on," Madonna triumphantly sings. "Living for love / I'm not giving up."

Against a throbbing Diplo beat on a later track called "Bitch, I'm Madonna," her angriest song since 1994's "Human Nature," the pop star sings about "jumping in the pool and swimming with our clothes on" and then imitates the ageist critics who complain about her dressing like a twentysomething. "Who do you think you are?" she angrily asks, before answering herself: "Bitch, I'm Madonna." Next, Nicki Minaj jumps on the track, embodying Madonna. "Ain't got a thing left for me to prove / It's that bottle service all night," she raps. "Bitch, I'm Madonna. These hoes know." Unlike her "Give Me All Your Luvin'" verse, Minaj's vocal swagger compliments Madonna instead of overpowering her. Madonna's anger gives her a charisma we haven't seen since she danced alone in a dance studio to "Hung Up" nearly a decade ago.

On another Diplo joint, "Unapologetic Bitch," she becomes an Anna Wintour–like boss, echoing "Human Nature": "It might sound like I'm an unapologetic bitch / but sometimes, you know I've got to call it like it is," she sings. "You know you never really knew how much you loved me 'til you lost me / Did you? / You know you never really knew how much your selfish bullshit cost me / Oh, fuck you."

As she did on her recent tour, where she flashed her nipple while singing a ballad version of "Like a Virgin," Madonna veers into the ridiculous on "Illuminati." "Rihanna don't know the new world order," she sings. "It's not Isis or the phoenix, cameras of Egypt." The song starts as a vague, confusing meditation on the media, but the song's chorus ("It's like everybody in this party shining like Illuminati") elevates the track from a piece of camp to a great dance banger. Few listeners can relate to a global superstar's analysis of a celebrity-oriented conspiracy theory, but everyone can relate to feeling like a superstar at a club for a few fleeting minutes.

Madonna's surprising relatability sounds like downright vulnerability on other tracks. "Devil Pray" opens with string sounds reminiscent of Madonna's American Life singer-songwriter phase, but avoids the awkwardness of a pop star channeling her inner Liz Phair when a beat kicks in as Madonna sings, "We can do drugs and we can smoke weed and we can drink whiskey." (She goes on to brag about how they could sniff glue and take E. Did I mention she's 56?) Like "Illuminati," the refrain seems absurd, but when Madonna admits she's "getting weaker" and asks to "sing hallelujah" and save her "soul," she sounds honest, even spiritual, and for the first time since Confessions on a Dance Floor, she finally fucking nails it.

The vulnerability crescendos on the standout track "Ghosttown," one of those great dance songs that's moving but not catchy enough to become a single. "Everything's gone to hell," Madonna sings. "All we've got is love." Capturing the mood of the country, she asks how we've got to such an odd, terrible place. During the refrain she sounds like she's painting herself as a savior, belting, "When it all falls down / I'll be your fire when the lights go out." But at the end of the chorus, she reveals she's discussing a one-on-one relationship with the listener: "We'll be two souls in a ghost town."

The trick captures what made Madonna great in the 80s and 90s: her ability to sing cliches ("I am a material girl," "we need a holiday," "you've got to make him express himself") and transform them into both personalized anthems and universal truths. And the slick, expensive production is catchy as hell this time around. What else can you ask for?

(VIA Vice)

This person can go fuck himself.

"Madonna has become a chaser of trends, not the trail-blazer she’s been for most of her career; and the early indications with Rebel Heart are that she is continuing down this path."

This criticism of her is tired and ridiculous. WTF is she supposed to do? Work with Patrick Leonard, Orbit and Stephen Bray forever? She's not allowed to appreciate newer artists and sounds and want to collaborate with these artists? Artists she's influenced, by their own admission?

She's constantly moving forward in her own direction. You may not agree or like what she does — fuck, I think if Hard Candy was all Pharrell, it would have been a classic — but bagging on her for wanting to work with artists that inspire her today is downright insulting. She's not a dinosaur, nor should and will she act as one.

Plus, if Living for Love isn't a revisiting of her own sound from some of her classic work(s), I don't know what is, and Devil Pray, in my humble opinion, could fit right in on AL. Sorry if this turd missed that album over a decade ago. He was probably too busy wishing she's remake LAP again.

"She needs to listen to Beyoncé’s most recent self-titled album to hear what a mature, sexy, fun and innovative pop album can sound like in today’s musical climate, or to Prince’s slick, quirky new “Art Official Age” to hear how a veteran artist can successfully navigate today’s pop landscape and sound current and fresh without frantically clinging to the coattails of a younger generation."

No, no she doesn't. Beyonce, who I do like, seems to have completely jettisoned memorable hooks and choruses she had in her older work and the performance of her singles kinda shows it. Prince's new album? Please. That man, a genius, but if anyone needs to work with producers of today, NO men - not just YES men - it's Prince. This has been his issue for 20 years.

So, to reiterate, this guy can fuck off.