Rebel Heart Reviews

markm

We knew Jim Farber would be positive, and this counts for metacritic :)

Spoilers including new pic!

http://m.nydailynews.com/entertainment/music/rebel-heart-review-madonna-latest-intensely-personal-article-1.2131124

I really like the last part of the review:

As a lyricist, Madonna has always had trouble making her personal songs universal. On the other hand, her persona has such cultural resonance at this point, it has become part of all pop fans. Her name is a metaphor for strength and endurance. That makes her potent enough to admit where she’s weak in “Joan Of Arc.” Here, she says that each critique drives her to private tears. In “Wash All Over Me,” she ponders either running from, or accepting the end of, her career.

It’s hard to imagine Madonna expressing things like this before, let alone making them ring true. That’s “Rebel Heart’s” peak feature: It presents a 56-year-old woman who, in the best possible sense, sounds her age.

Guest HaveASit

But ny daily news has a score system, out of five stars. Its the same case of the Billboard review of MDNA. They gave a glorious review, without a score, Metacritic did nothing

Guest HaveASit

Metacritic is so shady, lol.

On their FAQ, there is a question asking if they could explain their review system. The answer is:

Absolutely not.

So far, Rebel Heart is Madonna's highest scoring studio album on Metacritic since COADF.. :tigger:

Guest HaveASit

you see? it helps to ask ;)

For some reason, the rating does not yet appear on line, but it will soon. It's in the print version. I gave it 4 Stars.

Oh, amazing news. Thanks for this

I think the emphasis on star ratings is unfortunate. Yes, it's frustrating that a seemingly positive review only has 3/5 stars, but it's totally subjective/arbitrary. It's silly sites like Metacritic (and obsessed fans like little monsters) that put so much importance on the numbers.

The ratings have been between 3/5 and 4/5. If that trend continues (and I believe it will) it will have 70+/100 metascore.

I can't see any review giving it less than 3 stars.

you see? it helps to ask ;)

For some reason, the rating does not yet appear on line, but it will soon. It's in the print version. I gave it 4 Stars.

Thanks for getting us the scoop Nikki, you rock!

I just emailed Jim Farber asking if he could add a rating for the sake of Metacritc... Lol

Maybe if others emailed him too, he might be more encouraged to do it!

It sucks that 2 great reviews (this and The Quietus track-by-track) won't be counted....

Since Jim Farber responded, would it help doing the same with the Quietus reviewer?

Guest Pud Whacker

I think the emphasis on star ratings is unfortunate. Yes, it's frustrating that a seemingly positive review only has 3/5 stars, but it's totally subjective/arbitrary. It's silly sites like Metacritic (and obsessed fans like little monsters) that put so much importance on the numbers.

yeah lets be monsters and change the system to accommodate a fat, bloated, chinless bitch.

No.

Perhaps they should just do the reviews like that movie site, I think it's called Rotten Tomatoes, where they just classify them as positive or negative or mixed and not trying to put an actual number on them. I think it's worthwhile to categorize reviews and see if they are generally positive or negative. It's nice to have a site that has all the reviews so you don't have to search for them individually, not just for Madonna but for other artists.

We knew Jim Farber would be positive, and this counts for metacritic :)

Spoilers including new pic!

http://m.nydailynews.com/entertainment/music/rebel-heart-review-madonna-latest-intensely-personal-article-1.2131124

Great review! I saw it in today's paper. Is it scanned online anywhere? If not, I'll scan it for you guys. I've been reading his reviews since the Erotica era. He's written MANY reviews in the NY Daily News over the years for her albums, singles, and even music videos. He's the one reviewer I really look forward to reading from for every musical release of hers. He's stanish but can be critical too. He really gets her and her art. I remember he gave the Girlie Show an amazing review. That Girlie Show review is not online anywhere that I know of, but one of these days I'll go to the library and get it from microfilm and post if for you guys.