Rebel Heart Reviews

markm

I don't mind Slant's review either. Although, I don't like the comment that album should have been narrowed down to 10 or 12 songs. Out of 25, they don't like maybe 4? That gets us down to 21 not 10 haha

And literally ever song besides S.E.X. has been mentioned as a highlight by at least one review, which I think justifies her all of her inclusions.

In an interesting turn of events, Body Shop has become a legit critical favorite!

^ That's not what it says. It says there's 10-12 songs that would make her best album in over a decade. It doesn't mean the rest are shit.

Well yes that's true. But it sort of implies that these middle songs (not shit but also not on this theoretical 10-12 album) should not have been a part of the project. That's what I think is questionable.

So far the reviews have been good. Not excellent. But no bad ones at all, really. I'm hoping we get one or two excellent ones, but I'm happy for the most part. Still looking forward to New York Daily News, Boston Globe, Chicago Tribune, PopMatters, NME, and Billboard. Not so much to Pitchfork or EW.

I'm happy that almost all of the songs have been singled out as highlights by at least one review, as Cesky pointed out.

Well yes that's true. But it sort of implies that these middle songs (not shit but also not on this theoretical 10-12 album) should not have been a part of the project. That's what I think is questionable.

It makes perfect sense to me. If Erotica were only 10 songs long and they all happened to be your 10 faves, you don't think that removing the four "weaker" songs would make for a stronger album?

It makes perfect sense to me. If Erotica were only 10 songs long and they all happened to be your 10 faves, you don't think that removing the four "weaker" songs would make for a stronger album?

I mean I definitely get it to a certain extent. But if liked 12 of the 14 songs for instance, I would rather all 12 than just my favorite 10. But I completely understand that that is a personal preference and somewhat arbitrary. I also think its incredibly difficult to make a judgement call on something that is simply so much longer than a normal pop album, making comparisons really difficult.

The Slant review is Spot on!

With so many producers with disparate modes at the helm, Rebel Heart feels overworked, the duality of its title muddied by the inclusion of garish party jams like the infuriatingly catchy but lyrically cringe-inducing "Bitch I'm Madonna" and sex songs like "Holy Water," ostensibly lumped under the "rebel" banner using only the broadest of interpretations. The latter track is a welcome bit of percolating electronica, and she deserves props for effortlessly deploying the word "genuflect" in a pop song, but Madonna's Catholic baiting feels like a reflex at this point. Despite her well-documented reputation, you could count her sexually provocative songs on one hand up to this point, so the fact that she nearly doubles that number here in one fell swoop suggests she's either consciously taking the piss out of her Dita Parlo persona or making some kind of comment about women of a certain age unapologetically flexing their libidos. Which would be all well and good if the lyrics rose above Janet-grade ("Oh my God, you're so hot, pull my hair, let me get on top," she sings on the lazily titled romp "S.E.X.").

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

The Slant review is Spot on!

With so many producers with disparate modes at the helm, Rebel Heart feels overworked, the duality of its title muddied by the inclusion of garish party jams like the infuriatingly catchy but lyrically cringe-inducing "Bitch I'm Madonna" and sex songs like "Holy Water," ostensibly lumped under the "rebel" banner using only the broadest of interpretations. The latter track is a welcome bit of percolating electronica, and she deserves props for effortlessly deploying the word "genuflect" in a pop song, but Madonna's Catholic baiting feels like a reflex at this point. Despite her well-documented reputation, you could count her sexually provocative songs on one hand up to this point, so the fact that she nearly doubles that number here in one fell swoop suggests she's either consciously taking the piss out of her Dita Parlo persona or making some kind of comment about women of a certain age unapologetically flexing their libidos. Which would be all well and good if the lyrics rose above Janet-grade ("Oh my God, you're so hot, pull my hair, let me get on top," she sings on the lazily titled romp "S.E.X.").

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

:laugh: The reviews won't affect my opinion, but I have to say they have me excited about Body Shop and Inside Out, and a little wary of S.E.X.

From MTribe forum:

TIME OUT - fab review! Again with the 3 stars when clearly the review is 4-star.

Madonna – ‘Rebel Heart’

Two events have blighted the release of Madonna’s thirteenth album. One, obviously, was her spectacular tumble at The Brits, but another was the online leak in December of 13 demos earmarked for the record. So in a perverse way, it’s fitting that ‘Rebel Heart’ feels like a Madonna album for the internet era. Available in editions with 14, 19 or 25 tracks, it’s a disparate, drawn-out collection that’s begging to be condensed into shorter playlists.

No matter which version you buy, you’ll find Madonna alternating between showing off, getting off and taking stock. On ‘Holy Water’ – a brilliantly ridiculous hymn to cunnilingus – she manages all three on the same song, dropping a reference to her classic hit ‘Vogue’ and boasting that either Jesus or Yeezus ‘loves my pussy best’. Her voice is so heavily distorted that it’s left to us to decide whether she’s taunting the Vatican or Kim Kardashian.

Some of the sassy stuff is excellent, especially the catchy, trap-tinged ‘Iconic’ and defiant dancehall of ‘Unapologetic Bitch’, on which Madonna tells a selfish ex-boyfriend: ‘I’m poppin’ bottles that you can’t even afford.’ The house-flavoured lead single ‘Living for Love’ is also a highlight, its resilient lyrics gaining additional pathos following last night’s already legendary mishap. ‘Lifted me up and watched me stumble,’ Madonna sings. ‘I’m gonna carry on.’

But ‘Rebel Heart’s very best moments come when Madonna gets reflective. She shows her vulnerable side on ‘Joan of Arc’, a sublime electro-folk ballad, while the affecting title track finds her confronting her past as a ‘narcissist’ over some wistful acoustic guitar chords.

It all adds up to a sprawling and varied selection box that’s definitely worth cherry-picking from. ‘Rebel Heart’ may lack cohesion, but she’s definitely not down for the count: this contains some of the best music Madonna’s made in a decade.

nevermind it's Time Out and the rating is 3 stars out of 5 :newspaper:

doesn't count for metacritic so I could care less :popcorn2:

Thank you, it's still a good read and a positive review, and I don't think Time counts for meta either, does it?

I find most of the sexual songs more comical/political than overtly sexual and I LOVE THEM.

If you "get" Madonna you will get these songs. Otherwise... well, we know her opinion on literalists, so... Yeah.

i always knew the sex songs would trip up the reviewers (there's some parts of the grills rap in S.E.X. that I don't even get haha) but i'm glad they are there (it's among my favourite songs) and I love them and that she is pushing buttons again!

Edited by Cody Banks

So far the reviews are good but this is not reflected in the grades.

What matters to me is that i truly love this album, something i could not say about MDNA and Hard Candy (when it got released since then i really warmed up to it the exact opposite of MDNA that i dislike more and more). I don't force myself to listen to this album just because it's Madonna like i did with Celebration & Revolver and most of MDNA though I'm Addicted, Love Spent & Falling Free are absolute must have to me.

Most of the reviews don't have a problem with the music but with the concept and how it's handled and i must say it's badly handled, too over the place and the sequencing is fucked up. I can see this album aging really well just like Erotica, mixed reviews when released (but really good ones from music publications like RS and the NME) because of the SEX book and Madonna persona. It's the same feeling now, a lot of antagonism towards Madonna but the album is good. So it may now be graded as just a good album but in time i see it being reevaluated as a very good one.