Rebel Heart Reviews

markm

The reviewer thinks that the lyrics of "Joan of Arc" is an example of Madonna trying too hard to tell the world that she's only human :huh:

Yeah, it makes no sense, to use THAT song of ALL songs. That is one of the most purely straight from the heart songs on the album so far. They are really grasping for straws.

I haven't had my coffee yet and that review pissed me off......I sent a nasty email.....lol. ;) That idiot left me no choice.

I wrote to Attitude on Facebook and asked when we'll be getting their review of Rebel Heart, since they were the first major publication to review MDNA.

I just received the following response: "Soon ..." :lmao:

Can't wait!

In the mean time, as promised, the Queen of Pop follows up a fairly stellar performance of Rebel Heart lead single "Living for Love" on the Grammys last night with another partial-release following the sequential pattern of the last one, offering up Rebel Heart tracks seven through nine. The best of these is arguably the standout of the whole over-blown affair: "Joan of Arc" sounded like a highlight even in its more acoustic demo form, but the album version is a full-on stunner, compensating for a loss of some of the leaked incarnation's ethereal haze with a new beat that lifts the BPMs considerably, but preserving the gorgeous, string-laden bridge and acoustic denouement. With its hushed, vibrato-tinged vocal and confessional lyrics, the song sounds a bit like a Cardigans leftover circa Long Gone Before Daylight. It's the strongest (anti-)ballad of Madonna's last few albums, and a strong argument for artists responding to the denigration of their art through the more considered medium of the art itself, rather than snap public statements (just posting this song would've been a more powerful response to the leak of her demos last year than calling the act "terrorism" and "artistic rape" on social media).

More than any of the previously released songs, "Joan of Arc" also establishes one of the foundational themes of Rebel Heart, albeit one not always evident when wading through the poorly sequenced album. Loosely, that theme is introspection, though not so much of the self-critique variety as obsessive self-regard. Rebel Heart, ironically enough, mirrors its bumpy launch, with genuine statements of personal and careerist reflection scattered among the posturing of "Bitch I'm Madonna" and "Unapologetic Bitch." Another of today's newly released tracks crosses these wires. "I worked hard and sweated my tears," Mike Tyson goofily barks through a wall of chintzy applause during the intro to "Iconic," a song that otherwise boasts Rebel Heart's toughest, weirdest beat (think Kanye and Jay-Z's "H-A-M" arm-wrestling Skrillex), not to mention a show-stopping Chance the Rapper verse and a pretty disarming message from the singer herself: "There's another part of me no one sees." It's unclear if Madonna means to embrace her iconic status or fight her way out from under its oppressive expectations, especially since the song sounds like such a waking nightmare. It's that kind of discontent, uncommon for a pop star pushing 60, that makes Rebel Heart occasionally sound like Madonna's most committed work since 2003's underrated American Life.

Plenty often, though, the new material sounds as plainly work-for-hire as the worst of her last decade of uneven albums. "Hold Tight" is perfectly acceptable album filler: innocuous, lyrically platitudinous pop that briefly works itself up into something exciting when it threatens to become a gospelized stomp. It wouldn't be particularly lamentable were it not for the fact that there are so many better choices for the standard edition of the album that have been relegated to bonus tracks (like the title track itself!). And that might be one of the most damning results of the Rebel Heart leak cycle: It's shown us the extent of what Madonna's capable of at her best to the point that it's unclear why she (or we) should settle for the second best.

http://www.slantmagazine.com/house/article/madonna-releases-three-more-songs-from-rebel-heart-joan-of-arc-iconic-hold-tight

:daft:

http://m.samesame.com.au/reviews/11915/Madonna--Rebel-Heart

Very positive but does contain spoilers.

Wonderful thoughtful review. I love it!

That review kind of tied in with what I was thinking about the album. It has retrospection and looking back as its central theme. Does anyone else feel this? There's looking back in terms of her career with references to prior songs, past relationships, and also in the apocalyptic vision of the world in songs like Ghosttown, asking how did we get to this place. People generally see nostalgia as a bad thing as though you are stuck in the past. But on Rebel Heart it seems she is saying the opposite that sometimes you have to embrace your past to move forward because you know what your past is and gives you a solid ground on which to move on whereas the future is kind of murky and undefined. Just hoping that the future will be better by itself is something people say but it's never worked for me since it's so vague and who knows what the future will bring. I guess you could call it a modern nostalgia album.

Don't shoot the messenger: :shy:

Mediocre Madonna releases 3 new songs

Madonna's new album, Rebel Heart, is scheduled for release in March. And I must admit that I had probably raised my hopes too high.

The six songs released by Madonna last December were decent, without impressing. And the three new songs released a few days ago are in the same vein.

With its tight chorus, the danceable and well-produced "Hold Tight" is the best of the three new songs.

"Joan of Arc" is well-produced, too, with a decent melody. The lyrics, however, seem forced and the final result is forgettable.

"Iconic", featuring Chance The Rapper and Mike Tyson, is a plain disaster. It's as forgettable as it's weird. The intro by Mike Tyson is nice, but after that it's all downhill. The 'song' is a mediocre sonic mutant, which is neither fish nor fowl.

As the proved at the Grammy Awards, Madonna is still able to shock. But the only shocking about the three new songs is how mediocre they are.

Rating of the three new songs: 3/6

Original article (in Danish): http://www.bt.dk/musik/middelmaadig-madonna-udsender-tre-nye-sange

What an incompetent review. I can't even get mad because it's so stupid. Whether it's a translation quirk or not, I just can't take a review seriously when it uses terms like "tight chorus" (what?) and "mediocre sonic mutant". Lol

http://m.samesame.com.au/reviews/11915/Madonna--Rebel-Heart

Very positive but does contain spoilers.

This review, on the other hand, is much better at actually breaking down the songs and explaining why they work. I love reviews that can discuss the music on a technical level rather than jumping to blind, unsubstantiated judgements. Thank you for posting this.

This is a great review, though it bothered me that the reviewer didn't have the proper song writing credits for Ghosttown

Yeah, this is a good review. We live in a nasty world, how hard is it to just enjoy the fruits of Madonna's labours without the negative energy from elsewhere?

I firmly believe the full reviews will be 80 or higher on metacritic.

2000 Madonna albums (metascore):

Music (80/100)

American Life (60/100)

Confessions (80/100)

Hard Candy (65/100)

MDNA (64/100)

Based on the 9 tracks I have heard plus some small reviews, I'd say the album might get something between (70-80). And that's actually pretty good score

Is that directed at me? Why?

I don't think so ... the review addresses the criticism Madonna seems to be getting about her age and her longevity in the pop music world. I think that's all Rebel Heartbreaker was referring to -- applauding the author's viewpoint.

I don't think so ... the review addresses the criticism Madonna seems to be getting about her age and her longevity in the pop music world. I think that's all Rebel Heartbreaker was referring to -- applauding the author's viewpoint.

Thanks, I hope so! I have occasional moments of drama, but I'm pretty much an optimistic person by nature, so it was a little weird thinking someone thought I was spreading negativity.

Not aimed at you. Something got lost in translation there!

I guess I was going to say that a lot of reviewers are going to go in with their mind made up already.

Thanks for clearing it up! I agree many reviewers have an agenda, but this album will not be denied! I think it will get great reviews. I mean how could it not, the nine songs so far are stellar, and that's already almost one album's worth.

I think 80 is probably a long shot. It will likely do better than the last two albums, but I think 70 is more realistic.

I agree. I think it will DESERVE 80, but knowing lame journalists, I fear there will be several comments along the lines of "some of her most brilliant material but really should have been trimmed to a tighter album" blah blah fucking blah.

anyone know where this pic is from? and is he the first one who can do this review because he heard the full official album or because he heard the leaks? and isn't he a hater?

2qb66gw.jpg

I thought he loved her?! Has done a couple of interviews with her, right?