Rebel Heart Reviews

markm

I'd give MDNA 8/10. I love it barr 2-3 tracks. I think it got good reviews because it 'had something for everyone'. A colourful pop album. Reviewers shouldn't be biased but my guess is RH comes across as a bit more serious and I think journalists don't like serious Madonna.

I'd give MDNA 8/10. I love it barr 2-3 tracks. I think it got good reviews because it 'had something for everyone'. A colourful pop album. Reviewers shouldn't be biased but my guess is RH comes across as a bit more serious and I think journalists don't like serious Madonna.

That's interesting you think RH is more serious than MDNA. I thought MDNA was kind of a dark, angry breakup album. RH seems more light-hearted and fun to me. LFL is a hopeful breakup song, and UB is the just the most fun breakup song I've ever heard, great to sing along and bop along with. Even the ballads are like power ballads, very pop and very different from Falling Free on MDNA. Maybe the rest of the songs I haven't heard yet are more serious? Though from what I've read, they have a similar tone to the nine already released.

I don't know if you would say Rebel Heart is more serious and mature as far as the lyrics, but perhaps it seems more serious as far as the music itself. It's less a sound of the moment/EDM sound, but more timeless pop, ballads, R&B and acoustic folk/pop/rock which maybe makes it seem more serious musically if not lyrically. Not sure that makes sense!

Madonna is the smartest pop star ever. She's also almost unfailingly true to her own artistic vision, NOT to critics and not to fans' wishes.

She knows full well that an album of only heart songs or adult pop will win her raves, and that she's going to be dragged hard for S.E.X., Bitch I'm Madonna etc. If she was worried about five star vs. three she would have cut the rebel. But that's not her, and it's why we respect her. You need the rebel and the heart.

The Q review is exactly what you'd expect, not really negative but basically indicating if she left off BIM and S.E.X she'd get another star.

This is a woman who wrote Across the Sky and Animal, but kept them off an album in favor of Spanish Lesson. She is not stupid. She is not aiming to please the critics, but to be true to her vision.

:clap::clap::clap: I completely agree.

I think MDNA was quite a rollercoaster. there are VERY dark songs, but there are VERY lightweight, almost infantile songs as well. It's a strange album in retrospect.

Yeah that's true I suppose, but I think RH has some moments like that also (BIM so far, possibly others I haven't heard yet). Also, by light-hearted I didn't mean to imply lightweight / infantile. Great pop songs can be light-hearted yet not immature, for example La Isla Bonita, and I think RH has quite a few of these. I don't think UB is immature at all. Maybe the song title can be read that way, but no way are the lyrics like that.

I can't stand BIM either, but there are still some "rebel" songs I do: Best Night, UB, etc. Body Shop, SEX, and holy water aren't meant to be taken seriously.

Hopefully these critics will look at the sheer volume of good songs and take that into account. Like, I don't like each and every song either, but DAMN, there are so many that I do!

Critics normally review just the standard album, right?

Btw, wasn't she on the cover of Mojo? And they repay her for giving her 6/10? What kind of buffoonery.

Guest HaveASit

Btw, wasn't she on the cover of Mojo? And they repay her for giving her 6/10? What kind of buffoonery.

Yeah, but this time I think it will be different

Q, for example, reviewed the deluxe edition (19 tracks)

I DO see the similarity of the light/dark theme of MDNA (or maybe the MDNA tour) and the rebel/heart theme. And most likely, for the Rebel/heart tour, as well.

I disagree light/dark =/= rebel/heart. On RH both the rebel and the heart songs are hopeful and two sides of the same coin. Whereas the MDNA dark/light was a journey from one to the other.

Yeah, but this time I think it will be different

Q, for example, reviewed the deluxe edition (19 tracks)

Hmmm. Songs on deluxe editions are generally viewed as 'bonus tracks'...songs that are not up to par with the standard album. For example, it would've been unfair if critics took into account Fighting Spirit in their review of COAD - it's a good song but definitely not as great as the actual album.

However in this case, all 19 tracks of RB should be reviewed cause they'll be missing out on songs like Best Night and Messiah (which critics would love as they expect Madge to be making songs like this now). So I'm confused why Q didn't really like the album as there's more to like than dislike when reviewing 19 tracks.

Hmmm. Songs on deluxe editions are generally viewed as 'bonus tracks'...songs that are not up to par with the standard album. For example, it would've been unfair if critics took into account Fighting Spirit in their review of COAD - it's a good song but definitely not as great as the actual album.

However in this case, all 19 tracks of RB should be reviewed cause they'll be missing out on songs like Best Night and Messiah (which critics would love as they expect Madge to be making songs like this now). So I'm confused why Q didn't really like the album as there's more to like than dislike when reviewing 19 tracks.

Cause Q music taste smells like a public men toilet in a gas station.

Guest HaveASit

To be fair, apparently M always wanted to release the 19 tracks as the main album. Sure, it was supposed to be 2 disks, but still. This whole standard edition thing just look like Interscope milking the fans

It is. And a major fuck up, because she could really use some strong reviews to create some buzz.

Where does the standard edition end again? It really doesn't even include Rebel Heart? :ohmy:

It ends on Wash All Over Me which is definitely not as satisfying as Rebel Heart as an album closer.

Has the Mojo rating/review actually been confirmed?

MDNA and RH are very similar IMO.

Lyrically or thematically, they are similiar. But musically they are very different. Both Q and Mojo are very rock oriented publications that cater to an older/indie audience. They aren't really going to understand or appreciate an artist like Madonna.

Even the ballads are like power ballads, very pop and very different from Falling Free on MDNA.

Hmm not really, to me Messiah is a Falling Free knockoff and don't forget Masterpiece. To me these 2 songs are the "preview" to Rebel Heart (the same way Bedtime Story is called as the preview to ROL) to me, who woulda expected she'd ditch most of the dance stuff and record more ballads this time? I admit that Ghosttown is more commercial but otherwise I definitely see the continuation here.