Rebel Heart Reviews

markm

They don't rate albums? Dont have time to read it now. Is it a 4/5 review? I'm interested because that review counts toward Metacritic.

I was just going to ask the same thing. How does metacritic score an album with no rating?

The Quietus on Ghosttown:

Canadian producer Billboard lays out a desolate sonic landscape of single organ chords and dusty beats for this you-and-me-against-the-world ballad. M's voice is crisp and unfettered, save for the occasional auto-tuned trill that gives this the edge of an apocalyptic cri de coeur. 40 seconds in and a teasing, distortion filled pause can mean only one thing – a massive chorus about to drop - and this one does with a half time, heart thumping beat and repetitive round. You could imagine Rhianna or Lady Gaga singing the same chorus, but M, despite being a weaker singer, licks it in the emotional truth stakes, particularly on this more melancholy end of the spectrum. Singing with a tremulous tonality, her voice hangs in uncluttered space, the lyrics positioning her as the dark-glowing, guiding light. A brilliant, desperate and rousing anthem.

Are they serious? :dead: A shit fourfive seconds could only dream recording a song like Ghosttown.

Canadian producer Billboard lays out a desolate sonic landscape of single organ chords and dusty beats for this you-and-me-against-the-world ballad. M's voice is crisp and unfettered, save for the occasional auto-tuned trill that gives this the edge of an apocalyptic cri de coeur. 40 seconds in and a teasing, distortion filled pause can mean only one thing – a massive chorus about to drop - and this one does with a half time, heart thumping beat and repetitive round. You could imagine Rhianna or Lady Gaga singing the same chorus, but M, despite being a weaker singer, licks it in the emotional truth stakes, particularly on this more melancholy end of the spectrum. Singing with a tremulous tonality, her voice hangs in uncluttered space, the lyrics positioning her as the dark-glowing, guiding light. A brilliant, desperate and rousing anthem.

Are they serious? :dead: A shit fourfive seconds could only dream recording a song like Ghosttown.

Rihtarda's annoying voice? Gargole's even more annoying voice?

who wrote this crap? tumblr_inline_na26muRah41r8p6gq.gif

Canadian producer Billboard lays out a desolate sonic landscape of single organ chords and dusty beats for this you-and-me-against-the-world ballad. M's voice is crisp and unfettered, save for the occasional auto-tuned trill that gives this the edge of an apocalyptic cri de coeur. 40 seconds in and a teasing, distortion filled pause can mean only one thing a massive chorus about to drop - and this one does with a half time, heart thumping beat and repetitive round. You could imagine Rhianna or Lady Gaga singing the same chorus, but M, despite being a weaker singer, licks it in the emotional truth stakes, particularly on this more melancholy end of the spectrum. Singing with a tremulous tonality, her voice hangs in uncluttered space, the lyrics positioning her as the dark-glowing, guiding light. A brilliant, desperate and rousing anthem.

I know. And this is a highly complimentary review that praises Madonna's singing multiple times. But it seems that critics simply CANNOT get through a review without at least once mentioning that M is not as good of a singer as (fill in blank), when she's actually a better singer than just about every one of them. This is one way they have been brainwashed for three decades.

I know. And this is a highly complimentary review that praises Madonna's singing multiple times. But it seems that critics simply CANNOT get through a review without at least once mentioning that M is not as good of a singer as (fill in blank), when she's actually a better singer than just about every one of them. This is one way they have been brainwashed for three decades.

This!

And Rihanna a better singer? I nearly wet myself laughing. Rihanna has the vocal abilities of a chipmunk!

Ok guys I know that particular statement was shady as hell but can we at least appreciate the overall positive feedback of that review? Let's not indulge ourselves into negativity for another 7 pages even with a great review :newspaper:

Ok guys I know that particular statement was shady as hell but can we at least appreciate the overall positive feedback of that review? Let's not indulge ourselves into negativity for another 7 pages even with a great review :newspaper:

You are right. As annoying as that one piece of shade is, this review is VERY positive, and you can tell the woman is a Madonna fan. And she does compliment her vocals a few times. She also basically says that Rihanna and Gaga could not sell Ghosttown as emotionally as Madonna does.

Guest Madomination

To most of these people, being a "good singer" meant screaming at the top of your lungs.... :catty:

My bad Ray of Light was 4.5, I think I was still shocked by Hard Candy getting 4. However I seem to remember it was very positively reviewed in America

That's the thing. She ALWAYS gets some positive reviews. She's never had a panned album. Look on Metacritic, there are a few positives for AL in spite of its overall score.