Rebel Heart Reviews

markm

Too

Many

Opinions.

That's all they are. Especially the fans. I mean, does anyone have a therapist on here? Vent it and then express it publicly!

As for written reviews, like the rest of the Post-Kardashian pop cultural world, no one is paid to actually do anything relevant to their field of supposed expertise. There isn't a mention in any of these reviews about the sounds, the production, the context, the individual vocal performances. It's patheic to have so little knowledge and/or curiosity about music. Everyone thinks they have a valid opinion, and some people just seem to secure a bigger platform to express it without having to prove themselves.

Too

Many

Opinions.

That's all they are. Especially the fans. I mean, does anyone have a therapist on here? Vent it and then express it publicly!

As for written reviews, like the rest of the Post-Kardashian pop cultural world, no one is paid to actually do anything relevant to their field of supposed expertise. There isn't a mention in any of these reviews about the sounds, the production, the context, the individual vocal performances. It's patheic to have so little knowledge and/or curiosity about music. Everyone thinks they have a valid opinion, and some people just seem to secure a bigger platform to express it without having to prove themselves.

You just gave yours. Welcome to the club.

I understand people's sentiments on the rather mixed reviews and yes, if you just focus on what critics are pleased by, the "juvenile" songs should have been left out.

But to be honest, I still really couldn't care less for which tracks the album receives a beating - as long as they are good to me. I haven't listened to the final leak yet, but if I enjoy Holy Water or S.E.X. then I absolutely won't mind them being included, even if almost all critics say different. On the other hand, I've seen quite a lot of reviews praising Body Shop - which, given that the final version is similar to the demo, is a song that does not deserve a place on this album anywhere in my opinion. I enjoy listening to Unapologetic Bitch with its edgy production much much more.

And let's not forget, AL practically should have been the complete opposite of what it was in order to please the critics. Still, I adore the album and wouldn't change a single thing about it - and I'm sure neither would many many other fans.

I'm afraid I agree with you. Except for UB, I can live with that. But the rest, I tried to like them but just can't. Plus I think the inclusion of these songs trivializes the depth of the songwriting of the rest of the album. But overall of course, this is still a stellar piece of work.

I don't think it trivalizes it. It balances the album out. If it were all serious songs, it would be too heavy. I like it that she still has a sense of humor and laughs at herself. I don't understand people who don't like the fun lighthearted songs. Did you not grow up with Madonna in the 80's when she was a fun pop artist? Why does she have to take herself so seriously now? I don't care about reviews. Some people are so worried about other people's opinions, but Madonna doesn't care what everyone thinks. She has a fun young side and a more serious mature side. It wouldn't be a Madonna record if she didn't include both. Do you want to go to her tour and just have her sing ballads and midtempos with nothing fun to dance to?

Mojo gave it 3/5 which means "good" in there terms :

23u4pyh.jpg

Now that's the one thing I don't understand though. Just like the Q review, this actually reads itself as a very positive article. The closing statement ("no one does pop music like M") basically sounds like something out of a 5 star review, yet they give the album 3 stars.

It's like the reviewers desperately try to lower the rating because otherwise they'd appear too positive. Shameful!

Ladies and gentlemen, the original monsters...Madonna fans.

Why can't madonna fans hear a clear critique?!!!

I'm all for critiques if they make sense. But saying Madonna can't sing songs that are fun and are about sex is non-sensensical because that's always been a part of her persona. I don't understand why people just want to make her a super serious singer/songwriter like Sheryl Crow or someone. Why can't she have fun? Some people are too worried about reviews. Reviews really make no difference in terms of sales or chart positions for established artists.

i think reviews are good for 1) new artists and 2) sometimes, for people who are not real fans but just read the review in a magazine and when it's very positive they may check out the album.

Mostly new artists I think. I"ve checked out new artists because of reviews, but never an established artist. It's more of an ego thing for certain artists, if they read good reviews of themselves. Madonna doesn't care. Sometimes it seems there's an inverse relation between good reviews and sales. If you look at year end critics' list most of the top albums they love did not sell well.

I don't think it trivalizes it. It balances the album out. If it were all serious songs, it would be too heavy. I like it that she still has a sense of humor and laughs at herself. I don't understand people who don't like the fun lighthearted songs. Did you not grow up with Madonna in the 80's when she was a fun pop artist? Why does she have to take herself so seriously now? I don't care about reviews. Some people are so worried about other people's opinions, but Madonna doesn't care what everyone thinks. She has a fun young side and a more serious mature side. It wouldn't be a Madonna record if she didn't include both. Do you want to go to her tour and just have her sing ballads and midtempos with nothing fun to dance to?

I don't mean that I want an all serious/ballad/midtempo album. I love many of the fun & lighthearted & danceable songs on this album but there's a difference between fun/lighthearted/danceable and silly/juvenile/bordering on stupid songs. And sadly for me, S.E.X, BIM and HW borders on the latter. Plus I don't find these songs edgy, they're just too weird and unlistenable. But I still have 19 other songs I can enjoy so I'm very happy with that.

Mostly new artists I think. I"ve checked out new artists because of reviews, but never an established artist. It's more of an ego thing for certain artists, if they read good reviews of themselves. Madonna doesn't care. Sometimes it seems there's an inverse relation between good reviews and sales. If you look at year end critics' list most of the top albums they love did not sell well.

i compare this album a bit with BEYONCE. I don't think many of her songs charted but her album & tour did well and she got critical acclaim and it paid off (along with the hype)

I don't mean that I want an all serious/ballad/midtempo album. I love many of the fun & lighthearted & danceable songs on this album but there's a difference between fun/lighthearted/danceable and silly/juvenile/bordering on stupid songs. And sadly for me, S.E.X, BIM and HW borders on the latter. Plus I don't find these songs edgy, they're just too weird and unlistenable. But I still have 19 other songs I can enjoy so I'm very happy with that.

Holy Water is a sonic roller coaster :)

Guest Pud Whacker

What idiot would compare these nonsensical bitch songs to hung up or lucky star or ray of light?

Bodyshop is a fabulous song about sex, it's clever. No one saying she can't do that.

i compare this album a bit with BEYONCE. I don't think many of her songs charted but her album & tour did well and she got critical acclaim and it paid off (along with the hype)

Did the tour do well because of the critical acclaim or because she's Beyonce and she has a large fan base. How many people all of a sudden became Beyonce fans because of reviews? Not that many I would guess.

I agree it's unfortunate about the lyrics

I understand that, but English is not my first language so I am able not to concentrate on lyrics that much.

Production on HW is amazing, especially bass line. Playful song.

Guest Pud Whacker

I understand that, but English is not my first language so I am able not to concentrate on lyrics that much.

Production on HW is amazing, especially bass line. Playful song.

They're just really blatant. It's like a teenager trying to shock their aunts and uncles on Xmas.

Guest Pud Whacker

from the woman who sang Burning Up, Like a Virgin, Justify My Love and Erotica, maybe my expectation is too high.

OMG, youre so hot. Pull my hair, let me get on top. OMG, soaking wet, back and forth till we break the bed.

i have a theory. she was trying to seduce Diplo and thought that would get him all horned up.

it didnt work.

:rotfl:

Guest Pud Whacker

those lyrics sound SO natalia kills though. thats how she writes. i think M just liked the title "holy water" and making a sexual reference about it

really? im not familiar with her stuff. i heard she had her hands in Tragic Girl, is that correct?

I want to publicly apologize to the member who reported the Uncut and Mojo scores a few days ago. I said I wasn't convinced. In my defense, he/she did get them mixed up and reported the Mojo as 6 of 10 and the Uncut as three stars. He/she also said the Mojo one was very short, which I knew wasn't true as their reviews are usually thorough. But he/she was right about the scores and just swapped them around.

I PUBLICLY APOLOGIZE FOR DOUBTING YOU!!

Forgive me?

And God I love that standard cover pic on the Mojo review.

Tragic Girl is a beautiful song, but the lyrics don't seem to fit Madonna. They are too self pitying. Madonna is not a tragic person. She may be sad or hurt, but she rises above it in the end and triumphs. It just feels wrong to me to have a Madonna song called Tragic Girl.

those lyrics sound SO natalia kills though. thats how she writes. i think M just liked the title "holy water" and making a sexual reference about it

I also think they are very clearly supposed to funny/silly.

Anywho, this isn't really fan analysis thread. Despite some 3/5 reviews and some comments here and there I don't agree with, these are definitely generally positive reviews. So that's good!