Rebel Heart Reviews

markm

Very well-written and positive, that's how it should be :)

Really interesting that they praise BIM and Holy Water whereas most other reviewers seem to despise them. On the other hand, they criticize Devil Pray which has gotten rave reviews so far.

Love this part of the review from the Telegraph:

"Yet every track adheres to robust, classic songwriting principles, a kind of melodious elegance of structure gleaming through no matter how inventively deconstructed the arrangement. And Madonna sounds relaxed and confident, singing with the sweetness and freshness of her youth, yet with much greater technical accomplishment."

I was smiling reading that part . She is finally getting some shout outs for her songwriting and singing abilities :smile:

I know I am the one who posted the link, but where does it show the four star rating? :laugh: is it at the top or the bottom of the review?

I am thinking I might not see it because I am reading on my phone, and maybe it's a mobile site version.

I know I am the one who posted the link, but where does it show the four star rating? :laugh: is it at the top or the bottom of the review?

I am thinking I might not see it because I am reading on my phone, and maybe it's a mobile site version.

The rating is just above her photo on the left...

Great review, keep them coming. Any news if Mojo reviewed it already?

Great review (though I m also against MDNA and HC bashing), but judging by whats written it should ve been 5/5. And they hate Devil Pray? Really? Its like the first review that slams it. Its a great track and I hope it is a single later.

Guest CzarnaWisnia

"in a butter-wouldn’t-melt sing-song voice."

what the fuck is that?

...folk song Devil Pray, in which Madonna informs us that drugs are bad

:lmao:

A positive review from The Telegraph, but lolz at them pointing to Devil Pray as the example of a mis-fire.

One thing I've noticed about this album is that there is almost no consistency between people's favorites. One song is someone's favorite, and the same song is someone's absolute least favorite. There really isn't some pre-ordained handful of "best" tracks.

http://attitude.co.uk/attitude-reviews-madonnas-rebel-heart/

The jury’s still out on whether the leak of demos for Madonna’s 13th studio album has helped or hindered its success. On one hand it forced a compromised, staggered release, rather than an explosive comeback; on the other hand, the leak – plus the Queen’s newfound love of Instagram – have stirred up a level of public interest that was absent for her past two album campaigns.

Opening with Living For Love – a banger created by the curious mix of Diplo, the London Community Gospel Choir and Alicia Keys – Madonna plays the role of the scorned lover rediscovering her inner strength, (“After the heartache, I’m gonna carry on”) a theme which persists throughout on songs like Unapologetic Bitch. You might be able to rejoice in being fierce and triumphant at some points, but there are few opportunities for a good joyous song and dance. There are a few too many mid-tempo ballads, like Hold Tight (not Ryan Tedder’s finest offering), Wash All Over Me and Messiah, the best of which are probably Ghosttownand the beautiful Joan of Arc – a fresh sounding pop guitar tune treading new territory for her, and which could carry serious currency as a single.

Madonna-Rebel-Heart-Standard-Edition-201

Her work with Avicii is presented best on Devil Pray, Heartbreak City and the title track, while Kanye West’s production makes a real moment of the Yeezus-esque Illuminati. Her anti-Vogue rap of suspected Illuminati members is probably the only time Rihanna and Queen Elizabeth will feature side by side. Other Kanye assisted-numbers like Holy Water and S.E.X. are (dare I say) a little reductive. S.E.X. is Nicki Minaj-worthy, but it should be beneath Madonna in 2015. Inviting a lover to taste her ‘heaven’s door’ on Holy Water, she settles on a hook that – despite distortion – is clearly claiming “Yeezus loves my pussy best”. That’ll be news to Kim.

Clearly more comfortable with looking back these days, on much of the album, the Queen of Pop is surprisingly self-referential; from the sample of Vogue onHoly Water and Justify My Love on Best Night, to the blast of Holiday chords on Veni Vidi Vici – a song which, like the title track, reflects on how she overcame adversity to achieve her destined fame. With songs like Iconic and Bitch I’m Madonna, she also revels in her own status and fame; her own ‘bow down bitches’ moment.

Everyone has their own opinion of what Madonna should do next, meaning inevitably not everyone will be content with this delivery. Regadless, it does sound like she is attempting to tick too many boxes . There are moments where she’s absolutely owning a strong, middle-of-the-road, ‘age appropriate’ style of music that could see her lauded by music critics and the general public; there are modern, relevant tracks like Living For Love that deserve mainstream radio play; and then there are moments where she drags the tone down with a song like S.E.X. –harking back to a dated need to shock that so easily allows her good work to be overlooked.

In a sense, there are probably about two or three very different albums struggling to get out of Rebel Heart. While all of the songs work in their own way, they’re not a convincing set. Plus, with 19 tracks (and that’s not including the extra songs tacked on to the super-deluxe edition), one can’t help thinking this would be a stronger effort if half a dozen lesser tracks had been shaved off. It’s also disappointing – and confusing – that the anthemic title track is resigned to the final spot on the deluxe version. There is pure brilliance when its chorus kicks in and she cries “So I took the road less travelled by/And I barely made it out alive”, but I fear few will have the patience to stick around for it; not to mention that its position here doesn’t hold much promise of a single release for what is arguably one of her best pop songs since Hung Up.

Rebel Heart won’t be joining the ranks of Like A Prayer or Ray Of Light, but it’s fair to say that it’s superior to Hard Candy and MDNA. With a strong promotional campaign, and a few well-selected singles, 2015 could really be a year when the Queen shows her hard earned skill and reputation can still be put to use in a difficult modern landscape. After all: bitch, she’s Madonna.

7/10

It annoys me that the media has such a problem with the variety on the album. I love that its not all the same. And why does the gay media seem to have such a problem with a song like S.E.X.. I thought the gay press was supposed to be sex positive.
And I don't really see the ballads or mid tempo songs as her trying to be "age appropriate" because prior to Confessions she always did a lot of ballads and mid tempos, not just club tracks. So I see it more as her continuing in what her musical styles have always been.

Why the fuck are professional reviews nowadays so poorly written? Do they hire high school interns to do all that crap? The Sun review was stupidly juvenile and this attitude article isn't any better. Did someone from MTribe write it ? Because it definitely sounds like it. And why do these "writers" use "I" all the time in reviews? It's about the MUSIC not about YOU honey,

"There are moments where she’s absolutely owning a strong, middle-of-the-road, ‘age appropriate’ style of music that could see her lauded by music critics and the general public"

tumblr_inline_n39uu2WmxG1sa0fgf.gif

I need this bitch to record a 40-track album next time with BIM/Holy Water/SEX typed of songs smashing all over their face and score 0.5/5 for all reviews

tumblr_inline_n39uu2WmxG1sa0fgf.gif

Thanks for posting! Disappointed in this review but it will not hinder my enjoyment one iota.

Sometimes it's hard for me to imagine what people like this reviewer hear when they listen to Madonna, because just about everything she does blows me away.

Somebody posted earlier that there does not seem to be a clear group of favorite songs emerging. The Sun loves WAOM, the Gay Times says Messiah is one of her best in 30 years, then this dude just lumps them together under the heading of "too many midtempo ballads."

Why the fuck are professional reviews nowadays so poorly written? Do they hire high school interns to do all that crap?

Maybe not interns, but very underpaid freelancers is probably pretty spot on. That profession is pretty close to dead

does it count for metacritic?

Madonna is right where she is supposed to be, with a tasteful, coherent blend of music genres, and introspective writing.
  • It’s been years since Madonna had released some new material, which would be good enough to please both critics and fans. We all remember the sweet, yet underwhelming disco-throwback “Hard Candy” offered us, and well as the carefree euro-dance of “MDNA”. Both of these albums, while containing some good songs, weren’t strong enough as a body of work. On “Hard Candy”, Madonna was often out-shadowed by Pharrell, Justin Timberlake, and Timbaland’s productions. On “MDNA”, she tried too hard to please young fans with basic dance music and generic singles that the rich lyrical layer (mostly treating of her divorce with Guy Ritchie) was put aside in favor of cliché songwriting (remember “Turn Up the Radio”?). These periods were hard to swallow for fans who knew and loved “Ray of Light” or even “American Life” for its lyrical depths and experimental music, or even “Confessions”, for its re-invention of Madonna’s persona.
  • The “Rebel Heart” era will be remembered mostly for its many leaks (all of the songs from the album somewhat leaked in over a month), but it’s a shame. “Rebel Heart” is actually a wonderful addition to Madonna’s discography, and her greatest album of the last decade. While we experienced the first six songs early, as Madonna released them on iTunes back in late December, waiting was required for the other ones. And here they are, after the whole album and its 25 (!) songs leaked. And guess what? They’re actually really good.
  • Those who heard the demos know that Avicii heavily contributed on some of the songs, including the title track. Well, here, his productions are more subtle. Goodbye, good old dance breakdowns, welcome actual melodies. “Rebel Heart” becomes a country song, which would perfectly fit on “Music”, while “Wash All Over Me” is now a symphonic album closer, where Madonna reflects on her loneliness. Of all the demo songs, “Body Shop” is actually the one who transitioned the most successfully. It is now a sweet, guitar-driven song, where Madonna shines as a playful, loving partner for her lover.
  • The album raises the question of Madonna’s identity: is she a revolutionist, a loner, a deluded woman, a fierce diva, …? She’s actually all of that, and she says it herself. Yes, she may have flaws and she may come off as a heartless diva, but really, she’s as much a sucker for love as we all are. “Take me with all my stupid flaws”, she sings, and we happily oblige. This album could easily be compared to “American Life” and its sumptuous, personal ballads, as Madonna delivers here some of her best material in years. “Ghosttown”, an apocalyptic ballad, “Joan of Arc”, a confession of lack of confidence facing the hardest times, and “Messiah” a masterpiece of unrequited love: they are delicate, honest songs, and the proof that Madonna can actually deliver real down-tempo songs with talent and confidence (remember “Take a Bow”?).
  • But let’s not forget the more up-tempo songs: “Living for Love” and its mix between dubstep and “Like a Prayer” gospel-throwback is a winning mix, while “Hold Tight” is a soaring anthem to be. “Iconic” is the most basic song on the standard version and yet its dark, empowering nature makes it all work alright. Plus, how good is self-reference when it’s about playing “Vogue” halfway through your songs? The Natalia Kills-penned “Holy Water” feels straight out of “Hard Candy”, and its futurist production and cheeky lyrics remind us of what the 2008 album could have sounded like. Madonna also reflects on her career on “Veni Vedi Vici”, with a very welcome guest verse by Nas.
  • Madonna offers us her best dance material thanks to eclectic genres mixes and autobiographical exploration, yet she shines the most through her ballads, where the woman behind the persona reveals herself for the first time since 2003. In a world that changes, Madonna stays the same, and we are so much thankful for that “Rebel Heart” in our lives.

Guest HaveASit

<p>

does it count for metacritic?

Madonna is right where she is supposed to be, with a tasteful, coherent blend of music genres, and introspective writing.

Its been years since Madonna had released some new material, which would be good enough to please both critics and fans. We all remember the sweet, yet underwhelming disco-throwback Hard Candy offered us, and well as the carefree euro-dance of MDNA. Both of these albums, while containing some good songs, werent strong enough as a body of work. On Hard Candy, Madonna was often out-shadowed by Pharrell, Justin Timberlake, and Timbalands productions. On MDNA, she tried too hard to please young fans with basic dance music and generic singles that the rich lyrical layer (mostly treating of her divorce with Guy Ritchie) was put aside in favor of cliché songwriting (remember Turn Up the Radio?). These periods were hard to swallow for fans who knew and loved Ray of Light or even American Life for its lyrical depths and experimental music, or even Confessions, for its re-invention of Madonnas persona.The Rebel Heart era will be remembered mostly for its many leaks (all of the songs from the album somewhat leaked in over a month), but its a shame. Rebel Heart is actually a wonderful addition to Madonnas discography, and her greatest album of the last decade. While we experienced the first six songs early, as Madonna released them on iTunes back in late December, waiting was required for the other ones. And here they are, after the whole album and its 25 (!) songs leaked. And guess what? Theyre actually really good.Those who heard the demos know that Avicii heavily contributed on some of the songs, including the title track. Well, here, his productions are more subtle. Goodbye, good old dance breakdowns, welcome actual melodies. Rebel Heart becomes a country song, which would perfectly fit on Music, while Wash All Over Me is now a symphonic album closer, where Madonna reflects on her loneliness. Of all the demo songs, Body Shop is actually the one who transitioned the most successfully. It is now a sweet, guitar-driven song, where Madonna shines as a playful, loving partner for her lover.The album raises the question of Madonnas identity: is she a revolutionist, a loner, a deluded woman, a fierce diva, ? Shes actually all of that, and she says it herself. Yes, she may have flaws and she may come off as a heartless diva, but really, shes as much a sucker for love as we all are. Take me with all my stupid flaws, she sings, and we happily oblige. This album could easily be compared to American Life and its sumptuous, personal ballads, as Madonna delivers here some of her best material in years. Ghosttown, an apocalyptic ballad, Joan of Arc, a confession of lack of confidence facing the hardest times, and Messiah a masterpiece of unrequited love: they are delicate, honest songs, and the proof that Madonna can actually deliver real down-tempo songs with talent and confidence (remember Take a Bow?).But lets not forget the more up-tempo songs: Living for Love and its mix between dubstep and Like a Prayer gospel-throwback is a winning mix, while Hold Tight is a soaring anthem to be. Iconic is the most basic song on the standard version and yet its dark, empowering nature makes it all work alright. Plus, how good is self-reference when its about playing Vogue halfway through your songs? The Natalia Kills-penned Holy Water feels straight out of Hard Candy, and its futurist production and cheeky lyrics remind us of what the 2008 album could have sounded like. Madonna also reflects on her career on Veni Vedi Vici, with a very welcome guest verse by Nas.Madonna offers us her best dance material thanks to eclectic genres mixes and autobiographical exploration, yet she shines the most through her ballads, where the woman behind the persona reveals herself for the first time since 2003. In a world that changes, Madonna stays the same, and we are so much thankful for that Rebel Heart in our lives.
What is the source?