Rebel Heart Reviews

markm

What annoys me the most is that these publications don't recognize the catchy monster that is Unapologetic Bitch and tend to put it in the same group of songs they dislike, like SEX or Holy Water, simply because of the title.

that was expected though. i think we all called it.

Yes, we did predict this. I'm holding out for a handful of stellar reviews, but I think the critical thread this time is going to be that if she had eliminated BIM, S.E.X. and Holy Water (and maybe even UB) she would have had a tight, perfect album. And we will read somewhat stupid commentary along those lines in review after review.

Madonna knows this. She chose to include the sex songs. She gives zero fucks amd even recently has said that reviews are all subjective and what one person likes another might not.

^ Even some fans feel this way, like me. Although HW is growing on me a lot. Just not sure if it fits on this album.

Why do these publications have to review the demos? Just review the album. The comparisons between demos and the final versions are confusing to people who may not have heard the demos such as more casual fans.

And I do wish people could embrace the rebel side. Some people seem to think that because she is older she can't have fun and must just do slower heart stuff.

I love the variety. Albums with too many similar songs bore me.

It was inevitable. The demo leak is part of the story. Just as it's difficult for many of us to "unlisten" to the demos and consider the album without thinking about them, it's the same for the critics. They're people. It's like talking about LAP or AL and not talking about the videos or Erotica and not thinking about Sex. It's part of the story.

From the Q Magazine review:

"While house and disco liberate Madonna to be anything she wants, hip-hop boxes her into a persona that’s metallic, one-dimensional, and, worse, boring."

I really agree with this point.

However, I do think that the three-star rating is a little low given that the review acknowledges that so many of the other songs are outstanding.

I think the problem with RH is that there are so many tracks and so many versions of the album being released that it was always going to put her up for criticism. I don't have a clue what songs are included in the standard version. Albums with so many tracks always get a lot of criticism. Unless you divide it like outkast did with that double album by each one of them:

What annoys me the most is that these publications don't recognize the catchy monster that is Unapologetic Bitch and tend to put it in the same group of songs they dislike, like SEX or Holy Water, simply because of the title.

I agree with you.

"Unapologetic Bitch" is light years better than the likes of "S.E.X. and Holy Water."

So far I don't agree with any reviews.

I only listened to the released songs and they are all amazing! I appreciate each one of them for different reasons and I can also understand the point of view of each song and the crafted production behind it!

Just because these reviewers can't get Madonna's sense of humour that doesn't mean the tracks are bad. For example BIM is bombastic! She clearly went out of her mind doing that track! When people are talking about what's new and edgy in EDM now I can't think any further than BIM! Same thing for Illuminati; it's very effective and simple but very bassy and dark. I think she needed to do a song like that for all those idiots thinking Madonna is some part of a secret Satanic society! It's as ignorant as disgusting! When some people started to say she's this Illuminati pop star after her Grammies performance I told them straight away to go and listen to Illuminati!

Again, Madonna gets lynched for doing what she wants to do; if Rihanna or Gaga did those songs everybody would have said how ground breaking and smart they are but Madonna can't get away with it and that's it's because of her age! These reviews just stink of ageism to me so I'm not even bothered with them! In fact I won't even consider a review that mentions age/youth/56/33 or demos.

^ Even some fans feel this way, like me. Although HW is growing on me a lot. Just not sure if it fits on this album.

It was inevitable. The demo leak is part of the story. Just as it's difficult for many of us to "unlisten" to the demos and consider the album without thinking about them, it's the same for the critics. They're people. It's like talking about LAP or AL and not talking about the videos or Erotica and not thinking about Sex. It's part of the story.

Yes, but how many people have really heard the demos? Us hard core fans on forums like this have heard them, but the majority of people reading these reviews probably haven't. It's very different from videos or the SEX book which a lot more people were exposed to and which Madonna herself approved and marketed to the general public.

I just wonder what they are actually reviewing, as in what version is being sent out. They could have heard the demos, the second demos, the standard version, the deluxe version, the super deluxe ??!! I have no clue. I miss the days of an album with however many tracks and that's it (leaks aside)

I just wonder what they are actually reviewing, as in what version is being sent out. They could have heard the demos, the second demos, the standard version, the deluxe version, the super deluxe ??!! I have no clue. I miss the days of an album with however many tracks and that's it (leaks aside)

Q magazine should be shut down. What a bunch of deaf pricks. I wish them the worst. I ain't taking no shit.

:lmao: who cares? She will sell in the UK based on her performances on the Brits and Jonathan Ross

Yes, but how many people have really heard the demos? Us hard core fans on forums like this have heard them, but the majority of people reading these reviews probably haven't. It's very different from videos or the SEX book which a lot more people were exposed to and which Madonna herself approved and marketed to the general public.

True, but the critics probably DID listen and pay attention to what was going on like us and many people in the industry, so we can't expect them to pretend they don't exist or ignore their feelings about it. For example, I will never be able to listen to "Inside Out" or "Beautiful Scars" without thinking of the beautiful demo versions. It sucks that the leak happened, but we can't pretend it didn't. It's always going to be a part of this era's story. And I don't really think the reviews so far are focusing too much on the demos anyway.

that Gay Times review is ridiculous.Those guys have no sense of humor!! They criticize "Holy Water" and "Bitch,I'm Madonna"...two of the wildest,most fun tracks.Why are they so prudish??

that Gay Times review is ridiculous.Those guys have no sense of humor!! They criticize "Holy Water" and "Bitch,I'm Madonna"...two of the wildest,most fun tracks.Why are they so prudish??

It's a very good review, though! Although I noticed it's absolutely full of typos. The author just seems to think that HW and BIM seem juvenile compared to other tracks, and I think that's could be typical of reviewers. He basically says Joan of Arc, Iconic, Heartbreak City, Messiah, and the title track are some of her all time best. And he loves Devil Pray, Ghosttown and Hold Tight.

I noticed that The Sun and Q showed some love for Body Shop.

True, but the critics probably DID listen and pay attention to what was going on like us and many people in the industry, so we can't expect them to pretend they don't exist or ignore their feelings about it. For example, I will never be able to listen to "Inside Out" or "Beautiful Scars" without thinking of the beautiful demo versions. It sucks that the leak happened, but we can't pretend it didn't. It's always going to be a part of this era's story. And I don't really think the reviews so far are focusing too much on the demos anyway.

Sorry but that is a cop out. These people are supposed to be professional critics and I don't know why people think it is so hard NOT to give in and listen to demos. I don't think it should be part of Rebel Heart's story and find it annoying to the extreme when people continually complain about the official versions because they prefer the demos. There is nothing wrong with people privately loving and enjoying demos if they want to, but they should not be part of the reviews of this album. They were stolen after all and sick of them being treated like some kind of holy grail for Madonna fans.

And for the record I think this is her best work since ROL and Music

:dramatic:

Mouth-watering

I have yet to listen to anything which isn't the 6 officially released tracks and the demos of RH and WAOM

Can't wait to hold the physical CD in my hands

Sorry but that is a cop out. These people are supposed to be professional critics and I don't know why people think it is so hard NOT to give in and listen to demos. I don't think it should be part of Rebel Heart's story and find it annoying to the extreme when people continually complain about the official versions because they prefer the demos.

There is nothing wrong with people privately loving and enjoying demos if they want to, but they should not be part of the reviews of this album. They were stolen after all and sick of them being treated like some kind of holy grail for Madonna fans.

Sing it Jan !!

Movie critics wouldn't review a film and then compare it to a rough draft. Food critics wouldn't rate a prepared dish and then compare it with the raw ingredients. So why would "professional" writers do this with music? It's completely pointless and unprofessional. They can listen to the demos, love them or loathe them, but they should not be a part of an album review. What if different versions of the demos had leaked? That would have influenced and changed their view of the final tracks. Completely silly.

this is how a review is wrote....(even if i disagree with the mdna/hc opinions and i really don't like the sub-title.....less desperate my ass!!!)

I know. Always the back handed compliments or qualified praise ("we know we shouldn't like this but we do") when it comes to M.

Oh well, it's positive yay!