Rebel Heart Reviews

markm

Given the sound and themes of songs like Rebel Heart, Messiah, Joan of Arc, Wash All Over Me....Rebel Heart is what American Life should've been.... :s703:

No, American Life is American Life and Rebel Heart is Rebel Heart. No need to bash old albums, girl :madgemanson:

Well I have to agree with their opinion, considering how perfect original JOA, WAOM and RH were.

But then again the leak is so low quality, it's impossible to judge properly. The latter half of WAOM is just a big indistinguishable noise to me.

those were low quality demos..the new ones are MUCH BETTER and SUIT THE ALBUM unlike the old euro trash demos that were jumping on Avicci bandwagon truthfully.

I like the new Joan of Arc better than the demo. I'm not a fan of overly stripped down acoustic or piano stuff. I like some drums and beats on ballads.

+1

and there is still the acoustic version coming with super deeper deluxe

After a few days of playing the songs (although not overplaying at all really, because most songs make me too sad, lol) I find myself being much more critical all of a sudden. I love practically all the ballads and mid tempo's, but the dance heavier tracks like Iconic, Iluminati, BIM, UB, and maybe even holy water and s.e.x are the weakest of the album (some because the production is a bit over the top and others because she can do better lyrics imo)

although all of the songs I find a bit weaker have so much potential though, but they sound great in the beginning and have interesting production but it sometimes goes a bit over the top

(like, I love the intro sounds of s.e.x and feel of it but it's obviously such a joke song when you listen to the lyrics, lol, and that kinda clashes with the nice dark intro, IMO. it's little things like this that I now see)

Living for Love

Devil Pray

Ghosttown

Hold Tight

Joan of arc

Iconic

heartbreakcity

bodyshop

inside out

wash all over me

best night

veni vidi vici

messiah

queen

borrowed time

addicted

and both the demo and album (more acoustic) of rebel heart

^^ that Spin article is insane! Their revised tracklist leaves off so many amazing songs.No "Devil Pray"? No "Ghosttown"?!

Agreed. They eliminated too many of the Heart more introspective type of songs.

well, just the fact they include 2 Steps behind me in this 'review" annihilates any credibility or objectivity....why are these stupid people so prompted to do this with her? it is just simply unacceptable.

I'm confident REAL reviews will be much better.

I agree, I'm not a fan of Illuminati, BIM. Or any of first six tracks that were released, to be honest. They are growing on me, though.

Isn't it crazy, though, how that STILL leaves like twenty tracks I do love to listen to??

I'm confident REAL reviews will be much better.

I agree, I'm not a fan of Illuminati, BIM. Or any of first six tracks that were released, to be honest. They are growing on me, though.

Isn't it crazy, though, how that STILL leaves like twenty tracks I do love to listen to??

you don't like any of the first 6 tracks?? That can't be right.

Oh shut up

Why? Cause you have no taste in music? Its my oppinion. Should I now educate you on freedom of expression? Has being a Madonna fan thought you 0? Very very obviously it did. Irritating. If you dont like smth just move on. Or better yet immigrate to Islamic State. You ll feel at home there where people with different views are forced to "shut up" for all eternity.

GREAT review of the latest tracks from the biggest urban music site COMPLEX

http://uk.complex.com/music/2015/02/madonna-pop-queen?utm_campaign=complexmag%2Bsocialflow%2B02%2B2015&utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social

Madonna Is The OG Queen Of This Pop Sh*t

Today Madonna dropped off two heat rocks, reminding us all that she is the OG Queen of this pop thing, the MJ of this shit, whichever one: Jordan or Jackson. One features Chance the Rapper and Mike Tyson ("Iconic"), and the other features Nas ("Veni Vidi Vici"). Back in December she let loose "Bitch I'm Madonna" featuring her heir to the pop throne, Nicki Minaj, and the Diplo-assisted "Living for Love." And I must say, she's back like she never left.

"Iconic" and "Living for Love" feature hard-hitting dance beats. They'll make you want to go hammer with some glow sticks and tongue a stranger down on the dance floor. "Bitch I'm Madonna" and "Veni Vidi Vici" are more of the traditional pop variety one would hear on a Top 40 station, a tactic that she's perfected. Nicki, Chance, and Nas spit nothing but fire on their respective features. It's dope that she has rappers on her upcoming project because it's a show of respect to a genre that, over the course of her career, has gone from a "fad" to the driving force in popular culture.

Never one to shy away from controversy, Madge found herself in one with her Rebel Heart online marketing campaign. She replicated her album cover by placing the various "rebel" faces of Nelson Mandela, Martin Luther King Jr., Bob Marley, and Jesus Christ in bondage or whatever you want to call it. I'm still trying to figure out the point of that album art. She tried to compare herself to those icons and then she apologized for doing so. This made me skeptical of the whole project at first. The aforementioned online campaign was sketchy at best, and she's also 56 now and hasn't made a great album in nine years, which made it feel forced (don't hate on my opinion!). But I digress.

WE'RE IN OUR LATE 20S, EARLY 30S NOW, AND MADONNA'S MUSIC WAS JUST AS FAMILIAR TO US BACK THEN AS SAY WU-TANG'S MUSIC.

Once upon a time my friends and I would get lit to various Madonna albums. Mind you, we were street kids from North Jersey. We're in our late 20s, early 30s now, and Madonna's music was just as familiar to us back then as say Wu-Tang's music. We would pregame to 2005's Confessions on a Dance Floor or a mix of her greatest hits with various drugs in our systems. Play drunk Twister with a group of pretty girls while listening to Madonna before you judge the kid. These new tracks remind me of those times. I'm writing this as "Sorry" plays, and I'm feeling froggy. I wish I had some 'shrooms or some acid, to be honest. Roc-A-Fella, Dipset, Max B, Madonna, piff, and Henny got the god through college in one piece, feel me?

Accept no duplicates. Lady Gaga can't wash the Queen's throne. She's a hack at best, a shock jock. Not to say Madonna isn't, but she manages to come across as original while Gaga comes across as trying too hard—she's already washed up. The only ones who come close are Onika, Azealia Banks, Rihanna, and Beyonce. "Truffle Butter" samples the deep house cut "What They Say" by Maya Jane Coles, and Broke With Expensive Taste is a brilliant mixing of genres, something Madonna does very well. Rihanna is a hit-making machine, and Beyonce was born to perform. Madge birthed them all, and we must honor and respect that legacy. I'm expecting Rebel Heart to go platinum in like two weeks. "Bitch I'm Madonna" and "Living for Love" have a combined 5,253,598 Spotify streams.

Let us all bow our heads because we are not worthy. I for one can't wait to turn up to Rebel Heart when it drops. Thugs fuck with poppy, dance bullshit sometimes too, lord. Only God can judge me. I'm going to play some 2Pac after this, though, for sure. I'm sounding kind of crazy, but fuck it, it's the truth. 'Pac used to fuck with Madonna, and so should you.

Why? Cause you have no taste in music? Its my oppinion. Should I now educate you on freedom of expression? Has being a Madonna fan thought you 0? Very very obviously it did. Irritating. If you dont like smth just move on. Or better yet immigrate to Islamic State. You ll feel at home there where people with different views are forced to "shut up" for all eternity.

:lol:

Motherfuckers best be giving this amazing reviews. It's not going to effect my joy, but seriously, Madonna deserves this! I pray that writers like Ann Powers, Jim Farber, Rob Sheffield, and Elyssa Gardner write the reviews, not some lame ass haters who know nothing. We should be seeing them #soon. First major MDNA reviews appeared three weeks before release.

I've just created my Rebel + Heart playlists according to that Brazilian article - brilliant. Thanks, Brazilian article!

I'm going to do that also when the album is released :)

Don't shoot the messenger: :shy:

Mediocre Madonna releases 3 new songs

Madonna's new album, Rebel Heart, is scheduled for release in March. And I must admit that I had probably raised my hopes too high.

The six songs released by Madonna last December were decent, without impressing. And the three new songs released a few days ago are in the same vein.

With its tight chorus, the danceable and well-produced "Hold Tight" is the best of the three new songs.

"Joan of Arc" is well-produced, too, with a decent melody. The lyrics, however, seem forced and the final result is forgettable.

"Iconic", featuring Chance The Rapper and Mike Tyson, is a plain disaster. It's as forgettable as it's weird. The intro by Mike Tyson is nice, but after that it's all downhill. The 'song' is a mediocre sonic mutant, which is neither fish nor fowl.

As the proved at the Grammy Awards, Madonna is still able to shock. But the only shocking about the three new songs is how mediocre they are.

Rating of the three new songs: 3/6

Original article (in Danish): http://www.bt.dk/musik/middelmaadig-madonna-udsender-tre-nye-sange

Madonna's new album, Rebel Heart, is scheduled for release in March. And I must admit that I had probably raised my hopes too high.

The six songs released by Madonna last December were decent, without impressing. And the three new songs released a few days ago are in the same vein.

With its tight chorus, the danceable and well-produced "Hold Tight" is the best of the three new songs.

"Joan of Arc" is well-produced, too, with a decent melody. The lyrics, however, seem forced and the final result is forgettable.

"Iconic", featuring Chance The Rapper and Mike Tyson, is a plain disaster. It's as forgettable as it's weird. The intro by Mike Tyson is nice, but after that it's all downhill. The 'song' is a mediocre sonic mutant, which is neither fish nor fowl.

As the proved at the Grammy Awards, Madonna is still able to shock. But the only shocking about the three new songs is how mediocre they are.

Original article (in Danish): http://www.bt.dk/musik/middelmaadig-madonna-udsender-tre-nye-sange

Well, everyone is entitled to their opinion. And my opinion is this person is wrong and clearly biased. That review was already written......they just added the song titles. What does "the lyrics seem forced" mean anyways?? The only thing "forced" here is the criticism because it makes no sense, it's criticism to get attention and nothing more, nothing to do with the music.

What a bullshit review. It even claims Mike Tyson quotes Mussollini in the songs intro....that's just bad journalism.

Guest HaveASit

In the mean time, as promised, the Queen of Pop follows up a fairly stellar performance of Rebel Heart lead single "Living for Love" on the Grammys last night with another partial-release following the sequential pattern of the last one, offering up Rebel Heart tracks seven through nine. The best of these is arguably the standout of the whole over-blown affair: "Joan of Arc" sounded like a highlight even in its more acoustic demo form, but the album version is a full-on stunner, compensating for a loss of some of the leaked incarnation's ethereal haze with a new beat that lifts the BPMs considerably, but preserving the gorgeous, string-laden bridge and acoustic denouement. With its hushed, vibrato-tinged vocal and confessional lyrics, the song sounds a bit like a Cardigans leftover circa Long Gone Before Daylight. It's the strongest (anti-)ballad of Madonna's last few albums, and a strong argument for artists responding to the denigration of their art through the more considered medium of the art itself, rather than snap public statements (just posting this song would've been a more powerful response to the leak of her demos last year than calling the act "terrorism" and "artistic rape" on social media).

More than any of the previously released songs, "Joan of Arc" also establishes one of the foundational themes of Rebel Heart, albeit one not always evident when wading through the poorly sequenced album. Loosely, that theme is introspection, though not so much of the self-critique variety as obsessive self-regard. Rebel Heart, ironically enough, mirrors its bumpy launch, with genuine statements of personal and careerist reflection scattered among the posturing of "Bitch I'm Madonna" and "Unapologetic Bitch." Another of today's newly released tracks crosses these wires. "I worked hard and sweated my tears," Mike Tyson goofily barks through a wall of chintzy applause during the intro to "Iconic," a song that otherwise boasts Rebel Heart's toughest, weirdest beat (think Kanye and Jay-Z's "H-A-M" arm-wrestling Skrillex), not to mention a show-stopping Chance the Rapper verse and a pretty disarming message from the singer herself: "There's another part of me no one sees." It's unclear if Madonna means to embrace her iconic status or fight her way out from under its oppressive expectations, especially since the song sounds like such a waking nightmare. It's that kind of discontent, uncommon for a pop star pushing 60, that makes Rebel Heart occasionally sound like Madonna's most committed work since 2003's underrated American Life.

Plenty often, though, the new material sounds as plainly work-for-hire as the worst of her last decade of uneven albums. "Hold Tight" is perfectly acceptable album filler: innocuous, lyrically platitudinous pop that briefly works itself up into something exciting when it threatens to become a gospelized stomp. It wouldn't be particularly lamentable were it not for the fact that there are so many better choices for the standard edition of the album that have been relegated to bonus tracks (like the title track itself!). And that might be one of the most damning results of the Rebel Heart leak cycle: It's shown us the extent of what Madonna's capable of at her best to the point that it's unclear why she (or we) should settle for the second best.

http://www.slantmagazine.com/house/article/madonna-releases-three-more-songs-from-rebel-heart-joan-of-arc-iconic-hold-tight

Well, everyone is entitled to their opinion. And my opinion is this person is wrong and clearly biased. That review was already written......they just added the song titles. What does "the lyrics seem forced" mean anyways?? The only thing "forced" here is the criticism because it makes no sense, it's criticism to get attention and nothing more, nothing to do with the music.

The reviewer thinks that the lyrics of "Joan of Arc" is an example of Madonna trying too hard to convince the world that she's only human :huh: