GHOSTTOWN appreciation!

IN a perfect world (ie. the 90s) this would be second/third single.

Her best ballad since the 90s.

Too bad ballads aren't chart toppers unless its an Adele. Not that M should be factoring in charts at this point in her career, although good chart performance is important.

Oh of course YOU would be the first one to serve up something negative about this sublime song. BOLT!

:rotfl:

I believe this is her chance to score N1 throughout the world... WHY ISNT she making her best songs singles anymore???????????? Sorry but there is no way this isn't a hit, if its a single.

A soul?

:dead:

That's like saying that Live to Tell isn't strong enough because it resembles [insert 80s song here].

Who cares? It's a good song. It's a great song. The lyrics have that mystical quality that's only Madonna's. And she's singing it like her life depends on it.

That's the connection right there.

thanks

Does anyone else think the way she sings "I know you're scared tonight" is the best thing of our lives.

:dramatic::dramatic:

Oh of course YOU would be the first one to serve up something negative about this sublime song. BOLT!

:chuckle:

This song seems to illustrate the special tone of the album so far, to me, that mix of disappointment and hopeful/confident longing for the future, like the look she has on the album cover: she's wrapped and constrained (with the past/present) but perfectly calm, looking up in a kind of daze to some kind of knowledge that it'll all be ok.

great description!!!

how anyone could not love and being moved by this song?? how anyone can say...this could be in a "flop anyone insert" album.....anyone else wouldn't be able to sing this song and give the thrills and tears madonna give... classic (but totally new) madonna

only her!!!!

What am I missing here? I'm listening right now and I'm still not into it. I can hear the Ryan Tedder sound - maybe that's what's bothering me. Sounds like something Beyonce or someone else would do. I do think it would make a good single for that reason.

Oh what a surprise.

Debbie downer in all his glory.

Didn't realize my post would be so controversial! I was genuinely asking what I'm not hearing in this one. I like the vocals, but find the production a little generic, like someone else said. I like songs that others don't (like "Revolution"), but I don't personally attack them. I'm not going to apologize or "go away" because some mean girls don't like my opinion. :rolleyes:

Didn't realize my post would be so controversial! I was genuinely asking what I'm not hearing in this one. I like the vocals, but find the production a little generic, like someone else said. I like songs that others don't (like "Revolution"), but I don't personally attack them. I'm not going to apologize or "go away" because some mean girls don't like my opinion. :rolleyes:

Thought I belong to a different tribe

Walking alone, never satisfied, satisfied

Trying to fit in but it wasn't me

I said, 'Oh no, I want more

That's not what I'm looking for'

So I took the road less travelled by

And I barely made it out alive

Through the darkness somehow I survived

Tough love, I knew it from the start

Deep down in the depth

Of my rebel heart

:kiss2:

and so you shouldn't your opinion is as valid as everyone else :kiss2:

Everyone has right to express their opinion. For Example I have never liked "Erotica" album. There, I said it. Deal with it.

it reminded me of a Coldplay song. (ie dreadful).

Of course. It's very unfortunate that Madonna did not record a Yiddish death ballad with human skulls played as instruments instead. What a horrible POP artist she is. Perhaps everyone of us should lie the fuck down for a few days to recover from this tragedy.

:manson:

On second listen - yeah the produciton is awful.

Shame as her vocals are lovely.

It's a cross between a Coldplay/Rihanna/other generic popstar effort.

I can see it on X-Factor - ie the general public will love it, which is a good thing.

I find the song in no way generic and think it sounds like a classic Madonna ballad more than it sounds like any other artist.

It is also holding up very well to repeated plays and I FORCED my whole family to listen to it at our holiday party yesterday lmao. Thumbs up from even my brother.

I find the song in no way generic and think it sounds like a classic Madonna ballad more than it sounds like any other artist.

It is also holding up very well to repeated plays and I FORCED my whole family to listen to it at our holiday party yesterday lmao. Thumbs up from even my brother.

Madonna, keeping families together since 1983 :inlove:

To quote the RS review of LAP back in 1989 this is "as close to art as pop music gets." Amazing lyrics that are like nothing top 40 has seen in ages, fantastic bridge, flawless vocals, fantastic melody and chorus. When Falling Free came out, I thought I would never again hear a Madonna ballad that was so pristine. Well, here it is. Thirty plus years into her career, and the best is still coming!

LOL at the usual suspects. No-one's saying people aren't "entitled to their opinion" but I'm guessing the meaning of an APPRECIATION thread is lost on some people. I'm thinking we should have a little combined depreciation thread where the deludes can congregate and type endless bile at each other about these WONDERFUL new songs.

At the end of the day, I just care about what I think of her music. That said!, other Madonna fans' opinions are interesting to me. But, they also live different lives than I do. We all connect to Madonna's music in different ways.

When I first heard Ghosttown...(fuck, I hate that it's spelled like that)...I thought of my cousin who died in 2006. No one here cares or relates to that.

But, maybe along the way, I can find a friend or two who can...

My immediate impressions -

1. 80's movie soundtrack..ish (nostalgic feel - good thing)

2. But today I more associate this sound with music I don't really like in the charts

Due to the latter, I couldn't get into it...to the good stuff. But I'm more a music first, lyrics later person (explains why I often don't even know the words to songs...or if I do they are completely wrong :lol:)

NOW - it's clicking for me. The layers are coming off. It's very beautiful and I love to hear her story behind it too.