REBEL HEART - the new album. 6 songs OUT NOW on iTunes. QUEEN is No. 1 everywhere

OMFG. I know everyone is excited and has an opinion. But I'm dying over here. I love these songs so much. At first listen, UB didn't grab me - I don't know why???

On my second listen, it hit me between the eyes. THIS SONG FUCKING RULES.

I'm beyond happy!

I've listened to LFL a few times now and it's really not sticking for me. It feels neither instant nor instinctive, in the way that one hopes a Madonna lead single will be. There are elements in there which are good - though I'm sorry to say that doesn't include Madonna's voice which alternate between croaky and screechy - but overall, it doesn't come together to make the cohesive pop anthem I would have liked.

Clean Bandit's Rather Be has set the bar extremely high when it comes to 90s-inspired pop house, and unfortunately, LFL falls quite a long short, in my opinion.

OMFG. I know everyone is excited and has an opinion. But I'm dying over here. I love these songs so much. At first listen, UB didn't grab me - I don't know why???

I'm beyond happy!

Me too!!!!

Love everything so far

tumblr_lwy60slr4Q1qlycwjo1_400.gif

I'm not crazy w/ LFL either. It's good, it's a Madonna song, it'll probably grow on me but here's the thing. It's reminiscent of LAP and Nothing Fails. First and foremost, it ain't no Like A Prayer so let's get that outta the way right now, and, second, it might only be better than Nothing Fails. Maybe.

We'll see how this one develops but as of right now... it's ... uhm, LFL and that's it.

I'm beyond happy!

Yes, this has been a great weekend. The songs are fantastic.

My rating of the six so far...

1. Unapologetic Bitch (LOVE THIS SONG MORE THAN MY SOUL)

2. Ghosttown (why did she spell it like that?? Should be two words).

3. Devil Pray (love love love love love)

4. Living For Love (love love love love love)

5. Bitch I'm Madonna (only four love love love loves)

6. Illuminati (hasn't grabbed me yet)

I've listened to LFL a few times now and it's really not sticking for me. It feels neither instant nor instinctive, in the way that one hopes a Madonna lead single will be. There are elements in there which are good - though I'm sorry to say that doesn't include Madonna's voice which alternate between croaky and screechy - but overall, it doesn't come together to make the cohesive pop anthem I would have liked.

Clean Bandit's Rather Be has set the bar extremely high when it comes to 90s-inspired house, and unfortunately, LFL falls quite a long short, in my opinion.

THIS

I felt like I was the only one who has problem with the scratchy verses. It's not even just about the vocals but the sloppy mixing is also responsible for the distorted sound. Praying that this will be fixed once the album is mastered. Living For Love has huge potential to be a modern day club anthem!

Yes I'm ready for some supreme elitist members to drag and flush me.

The mix on LFL is fine. The kick drum is nice and punchy, yet soft. It's the overall .. idk.. song. I think I'm sick of the whole choir thing.

I didn't like the demo of L4L THAT much but I'm LOVING the final version. It's classic Madonna imo. I'm also loving MNEK's background vocals. Devil Pray, however has improved SO MUCH from the somewhat mediocore demo. Avicii's songs have MAJOR potential but I can see them being reworked by other producers.

Clean Bandit's Rather Be has set the bar extremely high when it comes to 90s-inspired pop house, and unfortunately, LFL falls quite a long short, in my opinion.

It's a great track, but pre-Evita Madonna voice does come up to the fore. The notes are not hard to sing down an octave, so I am puzzled why Madonna's PDP bleat has returned.

People harping about her vocals, the crow effect etc are missing the point. One of the reasons Madonna is such a great singer is her versatility. She sounds different on every song and has multiple styles she likes to employ. If you don't like her voice on the verses, just hold on, because she will showcase another range on the chorus. Listen to "Ghosttown," her vocals are flawless. The "crow" voice, as some of you call her style on "4 Minutes" and the verses of LFL, is not a bad vocal take that "needs to be fixed." It's simply one of her styles that she employs WILLINGLY, and if you don't like it, never fear, her smoother vocals are just around the corner. She is a wonderful vocalist.

Exactly, she does it on purpose and I wish she would stop! I don't know if she thinks she sounds "cool" or whatever, but I was also reminded of 4 minutes. And on the majority of MDNA, that was a big reason I didn't like a lot of it. And some songs on Hard Candy, but like you said, she proved she could sing nicely again on Miles Away.

I don't remember hearing IT on anything on Confessions or American Life.

Guest CzarnaWisnia

what crow effect? It's not here at all, I don't hear it. She's singing that way to fit the style of the song (during the verses; the chorus voice is completely different).

I agree, ive heard it a few times and still cant remember how it goes. I like the idea of her doing a 90s throwback (a sound which she didnt even do IN the 90s) but it lacks a melody to me.

^ Yeah, but similar vocals on BIM, UB, or Illuminati don't bother me. It depends on the song.

I thought that, too, why doesn't it bother me on UB?

Did she do it in the 80s/90s? I'm thinking CAC.

Would we consider Erotica vocals "crow"? There again, it depends on the song.

what crow effect? It's not here at all, I don't hear it. She's singing that way to fit the style of the song (during the verses; the chorus voice is completely different).

Yes. Exactly.

I'm really not getting all this hate for the vocals on LFL?! I don't hear anything wrong with them?

I didn't hear anything wrong w/ them on 4 Minutes. The only time I've heard crow vocals from her was live (specifically, Sticky & Sweet). The albums are always fine imo. Some ppl's ears, man :dazed:

I agree, ive heard it a few times and still cant remember how it goes. I like the idea of her doing a 90s throwback (a sound which she didnt even do IN the 90s) but it lacks a melody to me.

I was watching the Bedtime Story video and a poster said it was a "deep house" song. I never really thought about it, but I can see that one. Maybe Deeper and Deeper?

Wasn't much of Erotica house music? How did she not do house in the 90s?

I dont agree about her vocals, they sound amazing, reminds me of Rescue Me. Best her vocals have sounded in a long time.

I think her vocals on RM (deep, sultry, soulful) and LFL (higher pitched, nasally) are completely different. Her vocals on Rebel Heart, Joan of Arc, Devil Pray, Ghosttown, etc. are all deeper and fuller in comparison.