Devil Pray Appreciation Thread

I really like it.

I only heard the one minute sample with the drug lines and thought it sounded dumb. I kept thinking, what the fuck are people hearing with this???

I finally listened to it today, and thought, WOW.

It does remind me of House of the Rising Sun, though.

I like more the demo version, this one lacks the folk vibe that the demo had, It felt kinda Celtic or something from The Legend Of Zelda and now the annoying voice of the man on the chorus and the bridge are weird being too EDM.

I like more the demo version, this one lacks the folk vibe that the demo had, It felt kinda Celtic or something from The Legend Of Zelda and now the annoying voice of the man on the chorus and the bridge are weird being too EDM.

Wrong.

I love both versions but I wish someone would edit that little Zelda INTRO from the demo into the finished version so I could play it along that and songs like messiah and revolution, Joan of arc.

I'm tempted to ask how you ONCE AGAIN manage to twist someone's words into being some sort of question/reflection on Madonna's contributions to her own songs. But I already know the answer. What it indicates in fact, is that now the song is out there commercially, they can confirm their involvement in the production of this particular Madonna song. The news is no longer 'hush hush', if you will....

Has it ever occured to you 1) that English isn't everyone's first language and 2) that some phrases are ambiguous, the perceived meaning depending on the context in which they're read?

I would love to see a video trilogy with this song, Ghosttown and Rebel Heart. A western themed video set, since Ghosttown evokes an abandoned old west town (to me), and the other two songs have a country tinge to them, Maybe start with Ghosttown (the desolation of abandonment), then Devil Pray (the search for spiritual meaning), and end with Rebel Heart (joyous fulfillment of finding your place in the world).

Savan Kotecha @Savan_Kotecha

well @carlfalkmusic @TheRamiYacoub , i guess we can now add Madonna to the credits! #devilpray

A comment by Savan Kotecha on Instagram further indicates that he, Carl Falk and Rami Yacoub haven't been officially credited for co-writing "Devil Pray" and that he's quite pissed about it.

Don't shoot the messenger...

It seems like there was a major re-write since these lyrics don't mention the "Matrix" line they talked about in the Interview mag piece. But there are also complaints from the supposed co-writers of Ghosttown so I have no idea. It could be a simple mistake from rushing everything to Itunes.

This song has become my favorite from this era so far (thoug I'm in love with the other 5 too), i love the lyrics, the vocals, the melody, the production, everyhting is just perfect.

I would love to see a video trilogy with this song, Ghosttown and Rebel Heart. A western themed video set, since Ghosttown evokes an abandoned old west town (to me), and the other two songs have a country tinge to them, Maybe start with Ghosttown (the desolation of abandonment), then Devil Pray (the search for spiritual meaning), and end with Rebel Heart (joyous fulfillment of finding your place in the world).

My god, yes. Directed by Madonna.

I'm glad to see much love for Devil Pray . It is an amazing song. Fuck I am writing this same thing on every song's thread!...lol...speask a lot about the quality of them.

Devil Prays proves to me something that I have always thought. People may laugh but Madonna would make an amazing country singer as well. She puts so much empathy and feeling in the way she sings and would amaze country and western fans with her crystal clear and emotive voice. She really is an exceptional singer and does not need to shout or screech. Who else can sing pop, dance, ballads etc - so many genres - with such ease and class. Forget the divas with the huge vocal ranges - they might have bigger voices but can never match her as a singer.

Devil Prays proves to me something that I have always thought. People may laugh but Madonna would make an amazing country singer as well. She puts so much empathy and feeling in the way she sings and would amaze country and western fans with her crystal clear and emotive voice. She really is an exceptional singer and does not need to shout or screech. Who else can sing pop, dance, ballads etc - so many genres - with such ease and class. Forget the divas with the huge vocal ranges - they might have bigger voices but can never match her as a singer.

I actually did laugh out loud involuntarily, but you make a really good case for this!!

I agree! I would love to hear M's take on country-pop or country-rock music. I love all of her country sounding songs thus far