Devil Pray Appreciation Thread

Not sure which is my favourite from the six, this is definitely one of them. I've been out with my family a few times today playing these songs in the car and my dad asked me to put the "madonna sniff glue song" on, he likes it ahhaha

This was the first one I played...tears were coming. Beautifully crafted song...exquisite sounds and gorgeous story telling. I think it's about to over take my #1 LFL :o

Marge! :dramatic::bow::cries:

Is this song she wrote with Ryan Tedder? On Madonnarama it had the songwriters for each of the 6 songs and it has Madonna and Ryan Tedder as the writers of this song.

Those credits were fake.

Madonna wrote the song with Avicii, Savan Kotecha, Carl Falk and Rami Yacoub.

Ryan Tedder didn't touch it at any point.

Still my favorite. What a killer track.

Love her voice, love the bass, love the auto-tuned vocals in the background of the chorus and the "gasping/moaning".

Hoping there are more songs on the album in this style. Definitely hoping for an EPIC performance of this too!!

Is it just me or does anyone else get Dolly Parton vibes from this? Surprisingly I think this would've been a great collaboration for them!

This song grabbed me immediately. I really liked the demo version, but the final album version is just amazing.

On a personal level, the lyrics and country vibe of the song could be a chapter of my life story. I've been sober for almost 6 years and everything she's talking about; saving your soul, substituting substances for getting closer to God, or the Light, or just numbing your senses... It's very close to home for me.

And the way she says 'whiskey' makes me melt. It's like being back in the Smoky Mountains in Kentucky where I was born and where my Dad still lives. She's got a definite Loretta Lynn vibe going on in some of the songs, but this one has a magically bluegrass/Nashville sensibility that makes it that much more genuine and honest. I can't wait to see this one LIVE!!!!

This song grabbed me immediately. I really liked the demo version, but the final album version is just amazing.

On a personal level, the lyrics and country vibe of the song could be a chapter of my life story. I've been sober for almost 6 years and everything she's talking about; saving your soul, substituting substances for getting closer to God, or the Light, or just numbing your senses... It's very close to home for me.

And the way she says 'whiskey' makes me melt. It's like being back in the Smoky Mountains in Kentucky where I was born and where my Dad still lives. She's got a definite Loretta Lynn vibe going on in some of the songs, but this one has a magically bluegrass/Nashville sensibility that makes it that much more genuine and honest. I can't wait to see this one LIVE!!!!

:yes: :yes: :yes:

:inlove: MadRyan, What a beautiful post. It always feels rewarding and special when a song totally reaches you and feels like it was written for you.

:inlove: MadRyan, What a beautiful post. It always feels rewarding and special when a song totally reaches you and feels like it was written for you.

I know! and for some reason that bitch can DO IT EVERY TIME!!! LOL..

I would say 'get outta my head!', but i'd feel so lonely if she did! LOL

I liked the demo but the final version is everything and then some. That outro is fucking amazing. This is shaping up to be one of her strongest albums ever.

^ I LOOOOOVE that song. I don't hear it, but it's a similar vibe. Did they say specifically what's sampled?

I hear it. It lasts for a couple lines and then changes throughout. That gives me a sense of "remembering" and then coming back to the present. I don't know if it's a music sample or even enough to be a sample but I hear it in her voice and I wonder if it is tied in to what she is saying in the song.

I love that song as well. Devil Pray has a similar feeling and theme about allowing weakness and empty temporary fixes ruin your life. I think Madonna wholeheartedly believes in the qoute "tell the truth and shame the devil."

I believe Madonna speaks her truth as well as her experience with others.

So it gives a late sixties vibe and I can't help but think of her brother Anthony when I hear this song.

So touching! Thanks to share!

I love how she can connect with each and everyone of us in different way...

Savan Kotecha @Savan_Kotecha

well @carlfalkmusic @TheRamiYacoub , i guess we can now add Madonna to the credits! #devilpray

A comment by Savan Kotecha on Instagram further indicates that he, Carl Falk and Rami Yacoub haven't been officially credited for co-writing "Devil Pray" and that he's quite pissed about it.

Don't shoot the messenger...

the finished version is a killer! no other words! a club banger...

wow, i honestly would not beleive she was capable of such a track again where infectious melody meets sound production on lyrics that make you think... (which is what she used to deliver in the early days e.g. LAP and ROL)

i have been listening to that track all day long.... woohoo, can't wait to hear it in clubs

i just hope she will release it as a single and play it on tour... she would be a fool not to...

Savan Kotecha @Savan_Kotecha

well @carlfalkmusic @TheRamiYacoub , i guess we can now add Madonna to the credits! #devilpray

A comment by Savan Kotecha on Instagram further indicates that he, Carl Falk and Rami Yacoub haven't been officially credited for co-writing "Devil Pray" and that he's quite pissed about it.

Don't shoot the messenger...

I'm tempted to ask how you ONCE AGAIN manage to twist someone's words into being some sort of question/reflection on Madonna's contributions to her own songs. But I already know the answer. What it indicates in fact, is that now the song is out there commercially, they can confirm their involvement in the production of this particular Madonna song. The news is no longer 'hush hush', if you will....

Anyway, wonderful inspiring song with Madonna stamped all over it. Loved.