The Madonna movie Adé: A Love Story- UPDATE: Writer Found For the Project

LCD

I just wish she would do a more accessible project. The subject sounds too complicated to find a larger audience. I don't like St. Angelina very much but I think she did the right thing with her new movie. Her last movie flopped (I think even worse than W.E.) because of the story. Yes it was an honorable project but hard to sell to the general audience. So, she took the easy route with her new movie. Involving big players from the industry she and her husband know. And it starts with the script. And if the script is written by the Coen brothers ... about a war hero ... a sportsman ... that's very safe, almost calculated. This is no criticism because I understand the necessity that at some point you will have to prove you are capable to make something profitable wether this is at the box office or when it comes to awards. And here is the problem, Madonna will need to come up with something that pays off first before she continues to make arthouse movies. I mean those arthouse movies are fine but she will need to finance them on her own which will turn them into vanity projects. And once you have this stamp, who is going to take you seriously? Especially in an industry she has a rather bad relationship with.

I have said it before, what she needs is a star vehicle. And if she doesn't want to play the part on her own (because she quit acting for good) she could direct Sunset Boulevard starring Glenn Close. It has all the ingredients. All she needs to do is to put it together. That's what a good director does.

why does it have 2 b an accessible project!? I just want it to b good, it's cinema...and she's the director.

Based on this review of the book, this has the potential to be an ambitious, epic film.

The adapted script and director go hand in hand.

Ade: A Love Story

Rebecca Walker

Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2013 - Fiction - 112 pages

In this stunning debut novella, Rebecca Walker turns her attention to the power of love and the limitations of the human heart. When Farida, a sophisticated college student, falls in love with Adé, a young Swahili man living on an idyllic island off the coast of Kenya, the two plan to marry and envision a simple life together--free of worldly possessions and concerns. But when Farida contracts malaria and finds herself caught in the middle of a civil war, reality crashes in around them. The lovers' solitude is interrupted by a world in the throes of massive upheaval that threatens to tear them apart, along with all they cherish.

Haunting, exquisite, and certain to become a classic, Adé will stay with you long after you put it down. This is a timeless love story set perfectly, heartbreakingly, in our time.

why does it have 2 b an accessible project!? I just want it to b good, it's cinema...and she's the director.

In can be good. And I'm sure it will. But a good movie that no one saw because no one is really interested because it might be too intellectual? What's the point? She has already released such a movie 3 years ago. And sometimes good is just not good enough. Especially in Madonnas case. With countless critics just waiting to pull their knifes out and rip the whole thing apart. And they can do it and write whatever they want because who's going to see the movie. Sounds familiar?

I just wish she would do a more accessible project. The subject sounds too complicated to find a larger audience. I don't like St. Angelina very much but I think she did the right thing with her new movie. Her last movie flopped (I think even worse than W.E.) because of the story. Yes it was an honorable project but hard to sell to the general audience. So, she took the easy route with her new movie. Involving big players from the industry she and her husband know. And it starts with the script. And if the script is written by the Coen brothers ... about a war hero ... a sportsman ... that's very safe, almost calculated. This is no criticism because I understand the necessity that at some point you will have to prove you are capable to make something profitable wether this is at the box office or when it comes to awards. And here is the problem, Madonna will need to come up with something that pays off first before she continues to make arthouse movies. I mean those arthouse movies are fine but she will need to finance them on her own which will turn them into vanity projects. And once you have this stamp, who is going to take you seriously? Especially in an industry she has a rather bad relationship with.

I have said it before, what she needs is a star vehicle. And if she doesn't want to play the part on her own (because she quit acting for good) she could direct Sunset Boulevard starring Glenn Close. It has all the ingredients. All she needs to do is to put it together. That's what a good director does.

How silly. M is hardly making "arthouse" movies. LOL. W.E. was total mainstream Oscar bait shit.

How silly. M is hardly making "arthouse" movies. LOL. W.E. was total mainstream Oscar bait shit.

When was the last time you saw a movie like W.E. or Filth and Wisdom at a Cineplexx? And in financial terms, every movie made today that doesn't cost north of 100 million is considered "arthouse". Do I like that? No. But I haven't made the rules either.

Its good that she is going for non for the masses stories but it does sound boring and im one of her biggest fans.

Yes if she announced she was doing sunset with Glenn id have a stroke. As long as shes happy, we cant have everything.

WE was not mainstream at all. I thought it was a beautiful film but was not for mainstream audiences who seem to have limited taste when it comes to going to the cinema.

hmm.. mainstream flicks are made to be easily digested, basically. they're never difficult, controversial, or in any way out of the ordinary in their genre.. they RARELY get a mention (if any) at all at the oscars because of that reason.

W.E is by all means NOT a typical mainstream film. not one of the films she has made is in any way the typical sweet, fun or safe hollywood film you watch to cozy up with your friends (with the exception of a group of fans, but that's another thing). a lot of the films she acted in were, though - let's say about half of them

I really enjoyed the book (which was very short). I do worry that she may become 'typecast' with this film because both his and W.E. are "impossible love stories" (whatever you want to call them). And really apart from Filth and Wisdom (which was very much an experimental debut than anything else) she's carving that sort of niche for herself as a filmmaker.

Anyway, I do look forward to this project but I hope that this will kick off on her part after the album and (perhaps more importantly for her in terms of contractual obligations) tour are finished.

I think she learnt her lesson with W.E. and she'll limit her input to directing this time (which is consuming enough.)

Even though it was based on a successful musical, Evita wasn't even a big mainstream movie- it had Oscars in mind, but Argentine politics was going to send moviegoers to the theater? Uh, yeah, sure. And it never appeared in more than 1,050 theaters. Nontheless, adjusted for inflation, it did some $90 million in the USA and Canada, so it was pretty successful.

I don't think she's interested in directing big mainstream fims- if she did, she would cast big-name stars. On the flip side, would many big-name stars would want to start in a Madonna-direcred movie?

^ I guess it depends on what you consider a big name? I'm sure there are plenty of moderately big stars who would love to work with her just because it's her or because they like her work. Glenn Close is a good example.

When was the last time you saw a movie like W.E. or Filth and Wisdom at a Cineplexx? And in financial terms, every movie made today that doesn't cost north of 100 million is considered "arthouse". Do I like that? No. But I haven't made the rules either.

WE was not mainstream at all. I thought it was a beautiful film but was not for mainstream audiences who seem to have limited taste when it comes to going to the cinema.

12 years a slave was not mainstream.
I would rather see a great film like Sling Blade rather than Spiderman.
Many "Oscar bait" films are not mainstream.

hmm.. mainstream flicks are made to be easily digested, basically. they're never difficult, controversial, or in any way out of the ordinary in their genre.. they RARELY get a mention (if any) at all at the oscars because of that reason.

W.E is by all means NOT a typical mainstream film. not one of the films she has made is in any way the typical sweet, fun or safe hollywood film you watch to cozy up with your friends (with the exception of a group of fans, but that's another thing). a lot of the films she acted in were, though - let's say about half of them

I apparently have a different definition of "mainstream" than you guys. I guess you're talking "Spider-Man" and "Dumb and Dumber 2." Do you consider "Gone Girl" a "mainstream" film? Because I do. "W.E." was a historical period piece/romance. How much more "mainstream" can you get? It wasn't experimental or "arty" at all. The script was by-the-numbers. I don't see how it's any different than "The King's Speech." The only difference was that it got a better response and therefore a bigger marketing/Oscar push.

I don't consider F&W mainstream, but then again, M pretends it wasn't even her first film. LOL.

I don't know, I see both raider and acko's points... as long as it's good at the end of the day. Not like she needs the money from box office and her heart lies with arthouse.

W.C. had some big faults but was watchable so was a triumph for a neophyte director.. no Razzie nods there afaik. She doesn't need to go for the oscars (lol) and I don't see Angelyne getting any love there either despite what is said. If she makes a decent film then that's great, she got good performances out of Riseborough and Isaac so must be doing something right with her direction.

Music alone obviously doesn't fulfill her and is a been there done that thing, she's naturally suited to directing.

don't make confusion... Evita was a big mainstream movie....it wasn't a little indie film talking about argentinian politics....it was a movie based on the famed Webber musical...it was supported by great marketing effort before the release of the movie....it only, imo, was badly handled by the distributor that put all, or much, of his strategy, towards oscar noms...when they didn't happen (not the big ones at least) that let it fade...it had great hold in the weeks preceeding the noms (when they should had expanded the movie in the maximum number of theaters), and however it gained great numbers for a musical (a very risky genre...they can have big box office numbers or great flops)...

it's funny how many consider madonna some sort of poison or failure at B.O.

Desperatley Seeking susan 30millions at us b.o. (1985), one of the most successfu comedies of that year

Dick Tracy 103millions of 1990 (9th highest of that year)

TOD 15millions, for years the highest b.o. doc....

ALOTO 107millions of 1992 (10th movie of the year)

a lot of successful actresses only dreams these numbers....

as for F&W it was conceived as a short at first (some sort of "mastering", learning lesson), then, happy with the results she decided dilate the short into a long running movie...this is why she always doesn't consider it her first movie.....

What about her leading roles? She's fine when she's supporting, both performance and B.O..

Evita did well didn't it.

yes indeed it banked way above budget.

55 million budget for Evita

Total Grosses

Domestic: $50,047,179 35.5%

+ Foreign: $91,000,000 64.5%

= Worldwide: $141,047,179

don't make confusion... Evita was a big mainstream movie....it wasn't a little indie film talking about argentinian politics....it was a movie based on the famed Webber musical...it was supported by great marketing effort before the release of the movie....it only, imo, was badly handled by the distributor that put all, or much, of his strategy, towards oscar noms...when they didn't happen (not the big ones at least) that let it fade...it had great hold in the weeks preceeding the noms (when they should had expanded the movie in the maximum number of theaters), and however it gained great numbers for a musical (a very risky genre...they can have big box office numbers or great flops)...

it's funny how many consider madonna some sort of poison or failure at B.O.

Desperatley Seeking susan 30millions at us b.o. (1985), one of the most successfu comedies of that year

Dick Tracy 103millions of 1990 (9th highest of that year)

TOD 15millions, for years the highest b.o. doc....

ALOTO 107millions of 1992 (10th movie of the year)

a lot of successful actresses only dreams these numbers....

as for F&W it was conceived as a short at first (some sort of "mastering", learning lesson), then, happy with the results she decided dilate the short into a long running movie...this is why she always doesn't consider it her first movie.....

I agree with the first part of your post. Evita was mainstream. Not sure I agree with the reasons it didn't do better. You have to remember that there hadn't been a hit musical since, what, Grease? It was a huge gamble and it wasn't the kind of musical that you would expect to do huge business even if the genre wasn't completely dead at the time. It was ALL singing and the subject matter was quite political. It wasn't exactly a modern romance or something. I think it did great for what it was. It had a lot working against it, not least of which was Madonna as the star.

And yeah, I know the story behind F&W, but the shift from a short film to a feature length film didn't just happen in the middle of shooting, as far as I know. I'm not sure that would have even been possible. The feature script would have had to have been written beforehand. So I really don't think it had much to do with that. I believe it had more to do with Harvey Weinstein wanting to market W.E. as her "debut" to drum up more publicity and interest. And I believe M wanted her "first" film to make a bigger splash and I think she thought W.E. would do that. Calling it her "first" film is BS on every level.

One of the producers set for Madonna's next directorial project is an Oscar winner for Best Picture. A huge plus for marketing the film but the adapted screenplay is extremely important for this subject matter to succeed regardless of her passion and obvious skill to direct.

Dianne Houston Tapped to Adapt Rebecca Walker's 'Adé: A Love Story' for Madonna to Direct

By Vanessa Martinez | Shadow and Act

November 18, 2014 at 4:22PM

Madonna is set to direct a screen adaptation of the novel "Adé: A Love Story," based on real life events of its author Rebecca Walker (daughter of Alice Walker). In the novel, a female 19-year old American student - black, white, and Jewish like the author herself - who sets out to travel with her friend to Egypt, and ends in Lamu, off the coast of Kenya. There, she falls in love with a handsome Swahili muslim man named Adé, who names her Farida. Conflict arises when the couple, who plan to marry and live in Kenya, are caught in the midst of a civil war that threatens their union.

Initially announced in March of this year, the project has now found its writer in African American writer/director Dianne Houston, whose resume includes directing episodes of several TV shows, going back many years, including "Strong Medicine," "NYPD Blue," "Crossing Jordan," "City of Angels," and most recently, "Single Ladies." Her writing credits include the feature film "Take the Lead," the 2006 dance drama that starred Antonio Banderas, Rob Brown, Yaya DaCosta, Alfre Woodard and others. She also helmed TV movies "Knights of the South Bronx," and "Run for the Dream: The Gail Devers Story," both in the 1990s.

The film adaptation of "Adé" will be produced by Bruce Cohen, whom you might recall shared a Best Picture Oscar for the film "American Beauty," and also produced the films "Milk" with Sean Penn, as well as the acclaimed hit "Silver Linings Playbook." Cohen will produce through his Bruce Cohen Productions company with Jessica Leventhal, his director of development, and author Rebecca Walker.

This will be Madonna's directorial follow-up to the 2011 feature film "W.E.," about the relationship between British King Edward VIII and Wallis Simpson.

Here's more about the book from the hardcover edition, courtesy of Amazon: "In a fiction debut that is as much a novel of self-discovery and identity as a lucent love story, memoirist Walker brings her background and literary strengths to bear. When the 19-year-old unnamed narrator and her Yale friend, Miriam, start their long travels, arriving in Africa becomes life-changing. In Egypt, the narrator feels she belongs for the first time, with her copper-colored skin and brown, almond-shaped eyes. Then in Lamu, an island off the coast of Kenya, she falls in love with handsome Swahili Muslim Adé, who gives her the Arabic name Farida. As Miriam resumes traveling alone, Farida and Adé live together simply and make plans to marry. But Swahili custom requires face-to-face meetings to ask for parental approval, and political realities strike previously entitled American Farida for the first time. Walker knows whereof she writes. Farida, like the author (daughter of novelist Alice Walker and lawyer Mel Levanthal), is black, white, and Jewish and a child of divorce, and Walker uses this knowledge to good effect here. A brief, sensuous love story grounded in painful reality."

I agree with the first part of your post. Evita was mainstream. Not sure I agree with the reasons it didn't do better. You have to remember that there hadn't been a hit musical since, what, Grease? It was a huge gamble and it wasn't the kind of musical that you would expect to do huge business even if the genre wasn't completely dead at the time. It was ALL singing and the subject matter was quite political. It wasn't exactly a modern romance or something. I think it did great for what it was. It had a lot working against it, not least of which was Madonna as the star.

evita was having great success in the first weeks of release, but distributors waited to expand the theaters waiting for nominations.....but the noms didn't arrived and the film started losing steams....with a more wide release in the first weeks it would have had more b.o. success...