The Madonna movie Adé: A Love Story- UPDATE: Writer Found For the Project

LCD

I'm certainly happy we are getting an album soon, but I am also happy she's directing again. She's a creative beast and she needs to not be limited to musical output. I feel like some fans would put her in a "pop music cow-milking factory" if they could. Just put hoses on her tits and suck out pop songs until she's emaciated and dead.

I would think people who enjoy her work would want her to feel free and creative so that whatever we get - be it music, movies or writing - is a true reflection of where she is. Not just some processed garbage.

that i enjoy with passion everything she delivers with passion...

btw, W.E. isn't a shitty movie, it has its faults but is a good and interesting movie that has madonna vision all over it....

I totally agree

Guest Sweet Tooth

Madonna said in either the Carson Daly or Ryan Secrest radio interview when GMAYL came out, post Superbowl "I would have loved to perform at the Academy Awards, too bad they didn't nominate my song"!

Or something to that effect

Both radio interviews are on YouTube

That statement further proves my point that they were expecting/hoping for Masterpiece to be nominated

It's Guy O's job as her manager to look into the rules for a song to be eligible for a nomination

It reminds me of Jennifer Aniston in the last few years of Friends, her people forgot to submit her for the Emmy and she wasn't too pleased about it.

Masterpiece would've won imo if nominated. Madonna would have an Oscar on her mantlepiece and be labeled "Oscar Winner Madonna".

Whatever happened to her acting career :mellow:

After Swept Away was panned she vowed never to act again

Yet she still gets offers like the recent Valley of The Dolls remake that's gonna star Anne Hathaway and Jennifer Lawrence

Guest Loo Eli

She definitely needs to work with actors that are so experienced that they don't need basic direction, which is a testament in her case to both how unseriously her acting is taken but also how different the skills are between directing and acting. Madonna can guide her characters to the motivations and the emotional honesty of a scene but no one is going to listen if she tries to micromanage or lead them by example.

I'm certainly happy we are getting an album soon, but I am also happy she's directing again. She's a creative beast and she needs to not be limited to musical output. I feel like some fans would put her in a "pop music cow-milking factory" if they could. Just put hoses on her tits and suck out pop songs until she's emaciated and dead.

I would think people who enjoy her work would want her to feel free and creative so that whatever we get - be it music, movies or writing - is a true reflection of where she is. Not just some processed garbage.

AGREE 100% :clap::kiss2::inlove:

I think a real MADONNA fan should never doubt her directing abilities... control freak, an eye for detail, creative mind, thinks outside the box, those are qualities of a good director, right? At least among the singers and the Divas lot, she's the only one who can seriously write and direct apart from singing... hence, the "they can't do what i do' boast...

Everyone of the actors/actresses gave great performances in W.E. Especially Riseborough. In most interviews the cast praised Madonna for her directing and devotion to the film and her appreciation and respect for their work.

Guest Sweet Tooth

After Swept Away was panned she vowed never to act again

Yet she still gets offers like the recent Valley of The Dolls remake that's gonna star Anne Hathaway and Jennifer Lawrence

I smell a future camp classic if Mo was in this VOD remake. She needs to find a role tailor-made for her like Breathless Mahoney and Susan for people not to think of her as MADONNA

Guest Sweet Tooth

I would love to see her appear in a film.

Me too. I miss Madonna the movie star. I support her acting career (as long as it doesn't interfere with the music :laugh: )

"Masterpiece" was included in the "For Your Consideration" material sent out to Oscar voters for "Masterpiece" by Weinstein, so its ineligibility would have been a surprise to him.

I would have thought that the director would be responsible for ensuring the eligibility of various aspects of a film. You don't hear people complaining that Steven Spielberg's manager hasn't ensured that an actor had enough screen time to be considered a Lead Actor rather than a Supporting Actor, do you? The decision to continue with Abel's score once the screen had faded to black and the credits had started rolling was Madonna's. She obviously didn't know about the rule, but we can't blame Guy Oseary for that. I agree that a performance of the song at the awards ceremony would have been sublime.

What's really odd, though, is that "Masterpiece" was NOT submitted for consideration by The Grammys.

"Masterpiece" was included in the "For Your Consideration" material sent out to Oscar voters for "Masterpiece" by Weinstein, so its ineligibility would have been a surprise to him.

I would have thought that the director would be responsible for ensuring the eligibility of various aspects of a film. You don't hear people complaining that Steven Spielberg's manager hasn't ensured that an actor had enough screen time to be considered a Lead Actor rather than a Supporting Actor, do you? The decision to continue with Abel's score once the screen had faded to black and the credits had started rolling was Madonna's. She obviously didn't know about the rule, but we can't blame Guy Oseary for that. I agree that a performance of the song at the awards ceremony would have been sublime.

What's really odd, though, is that "Masterpiece" was NOT submitted for consideration by The Grammys.

she just fucked up.

well, that's not director's job too, but it's on the side of the production/distribution....

for example, you can have all the screen time tht you want, but basing on various factors (like the competion on a given year, or another strong cast member on the same category *cough julia roberts cough*) the distributor can decide to submit a lead actor on the supporting actor category....now probably madonna wasn't aware of that rule, but it was on someone on the producing and releasing department that should have noting to her the rule...

I think that was M's decision, she wanted to support MDNA fully. Between W.E., The Superbowl (which was really just promo for herself), Truth or Dare and MDNA, there was a fuckload of international promotion during the MDNA era, but M being M and loving everything she does equally, wanted to do each set of promo separately. So while someone else would have done an interview where they talked about an album for 20 minutes, the film for ten, the perfume for five etc., she didn't and spent whole interviews talking about one thing.

It would have been lovely if it had won the grammy, although looking at the nominations none of the songs nominated for the grammy that year were also nominated for the globe. Man Or Muppet, which won the Oscar (and was one of only two nominations) was not nominated for a globe, though it was for a grammy. It was a total clusterfuck year.

Guest Loo Eli

well, that's not director's job too, but it's on the side of the production/distribution....

for example, you can have all the screen time tht you want, but basing on various factors (like the competion on a given year, or another strong cast member on the same category *cough julia roberts cough*) the distributor can decide to submit a lead actor on the supporting actor category....now probably madonna wasn't aware of that rule, but it was on someone on the producing and releasing department that should have noting to her the rule...

I agree. The rule was fairly new, changed only in 2009, but the Weinsteins of all people should be on top of Oscar eligibility requirements.

• 7 months later...

en-28019.jpg

The Madonna movie Adé: A Love Story has found its writer

According to the Hollywood Reporter, Dianne Houston (Take the Lead) has signed on to adapt Rebecca Walker’s memoir for the big screen, marking Madonna’s next directing project.

The film centers on a 19-year-old American student raised in a Christian and Jewish home who travels to Africa and falls in love with a young Muslim man on an island off the coast of Kenya. Their hastily made plans to marry, however, get blown away by cultural and political forces. Walker, who also hails from a Christian-Jewish home, is the daughter of The Color Purple author Alice Walker.

Bruce Cohen, Jessica Leventhal and Walker are producing. CAA, which reps Madonna, will be taking the project out to financiers in the coming weeks.

Adé marks Madonna’s follow up to the period romance W.E., which was released by The Weinstein Company in 2011. The book was published in 2013 by Amazon’s Little A imprint.

Houston, who has an untitled Missy Elliott project in the works, is repped by Kaplan-Stahler Agency.

She will start shooting this right after the tour, this will be way more easy than WE because she will have the script ready and she will only shoot it.

If she took 6 months shooting WE, maybe she will take 4-5 months, I guess that tight after the tour she will start with this project, maybe from February to June 2016, to premiere it maybe in May 2017.

And maybe a new album in November 2017 to fulfill the contract with LN.

I just wish she would do a more accessible project. The subject sounds too complicated to find a larger audience. I don't like St. Angelina very much but I think she did the right thing with her new movie. Her last movie flopped (I think even worse than W.E.) because of the story. Yes it was an honorable project but hard to sell to the general audience. So, she took the easy route with her new movie. Involving big players from the industry she and her husband know. And it starts with the script. And if the script is written by the Coen brothers ... about a war hero ... a sportsman ... that's very safe, almost calculated. This is no criticism because I understand the necessity that at some point you will have to prove you are capable to make something profitable wether this is at the box office or when it comes to awards. And here is the problem, Madonna will need to come up with something that pays off first before she continues to make arthouse movies. I mean those arthouse movies are fine but she will need to finance them on her own which will turn them into vanity projects. And once you have this stamp, who is going to take you seriously? Especially in an industry she has a rather bad relationship with.

I have said it before, what she needs is a star vehicle. And if she doesn't want to play the part on her own (because she quit acting for good) she could direct Sunset Boulevard starring Glenn Close. It has all the ingredients. All she needs to do is to put it together. That's what a good director does.