Collecting Madonna 12" and 7" singles

Guest bluejean

Guest bluejean

Okay, so....

As I grew up in the age of cassingles and CD singles I don't really have many of these but recently I've started collecting them. I want to try and get a 12" and/or a 7" of every single.

But I'm wondering what are the most rare to find and how much should I be paying for them? I only really want them if the covers are in good condition.

I saw the Borderline 12" (I believe it was the Australian print) for around $23 US. That is good value yeah?

Guest whatatramp
The Lucky Star U.K. sunglasses sleeve has gone for crazy prices in the past, here's an article about how to spot a fake: http://www.madonna-decade.co.uk/lucky-star.html

I've seen anywhere from £70 to nearing £400+, but I can't say if the £70 one was real and the bidder had a lucky moment or it was fake so nobody was bidding

140605236138.jpg

The original Erotica picture disc also fetches HUGE numbers the rare time the real deal is on sale somewhere

Madonna_toes.jpg

7. $3,053.90 — Madonna “Erotica” 12-inch picture disc. Purists argue that Madonna has no business in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, but one bidder was happy to pay a Hall of Fame price for this rare picture disc, which shows Madonna sucking someone’s toes. Yup, you read that right.

It took 62 bids before a winner was declared on this Warner Bros./Sire/Maverick rarity. The seller bought the album (catalogue number WO138TP 9362-40662-0) from a dealer after learning they weren’t supposed to be released. Warner Bros. reportedly pressed 50,000 copies of the disc before recalling them due to a “related” foot/toe scandal involving Sarah Ferguson, Duchess of York. Only 138 copies were unaccounted for. The disc is in Mint condition, and the package retains its double-sided insert and original plastic sleeve.
Over and Over Italian 12" with poster
This doesn't attract the big number of the first two but still a respectable amount, there's one for sale on discogs right now for £175, it says the last time a copy was sold on there was 2009!
$(KGrHqEOKpYFG8uwGz)vBRyIUs!nbg~~60_1.JP
You Can Dance 'Single Edits of Album Remixes' Promo + various other YCD promos
Madonna-You-Can-Dance---S-20495.jpg
424784b.jpg

There's so many different promos, different sleeves, different mixes you'll love it!

MadonnaUnderground's catalogue can be useful to look at: http://madonnaunderground.com/MUreloaded/madonna-music/

I didn't know that Over and Over had been released in Italy!

I do think that 32 dollars for Borderline is very expensive!

You have this one with the "other cover" for less than 1 euro here

http://www.discogs.com/Madonna-Borderline/release/103397

And this other one for 8 pounds

http://eil.com/shop/moreinfo.asp?catalogid=5510

12" Vinyls are far more cheaper than cd singles (except those rarities that whatatramp posted). So you won't have many problems.

Don't know about 7" though. Are they hard to find????? I have that Secret 7" picture disc and i wished it were incredibly expensive and i could sell it or feel very lucky!

$32 dollars for the Australian Borderline is a very good price! It's really rare if we're talking about this cover:

R-2216631-1270391458.jpeg

Burning Up and Holiday are also great Australian covers to have and go for approx £30 - £50 in excellent condition!

The thing is with Madonna, she has hundreds of rare versions to collect! As I said, I've been collecting for thirty years and there's still so many items left to get.

Basically, to start, you search out the picture sleeves that are different to the standard UK and US versions. Then there are the limited editions including picture discs and coloured vinyls. Then there are the promos with exclusive sleeves or mixes.

Other rarities are the early Japanese singles for the first three albums with many different sleeves to the European ones. Not massively expensive but nice to have.

The German versions of Secret and the US version of You'll See and I'll Remember are also getting quite rare because vinyl was in a real slump at the time so pressings were limited.

The best way to check for prices is look on the 'sold' items on ebay and look discogs which has a lowest / highest / average sale price for previous sales.

Oh it's the UK cover I think. I'm in New Zealand atm so maybe they used the UK cover?Madonna-Borderline-5510.jpg

I've always hated this manky cover. Look at her left arm.

:bad:

I've always hated this manky cover. Look at her left arm.

:bad:

I've never liked it either lol. The actual photograph looks better. The illustration looks like she was caught off guard while dressing/undressing

I'm actually in the process of collecting the singles too. I have the slbums on vinyl, thanks to my parents, but they never had any 12" singles. They did have a few 45 singles, but some of the covers are missing. Over the past year I've started collecting the 12" singles, I looooove hunting for them. When I was down at the shore this summer, this used record shop on the boardwalk had a slew of M singles on vinyl, especially a big amount from the early 90s! I've never seen Bedtime Story, Erotica. And JML in person, but they were kinda pricy!! I've bought Angel and Who's That Girl for like $4 dollars each, yet Beftime Story and Erotica were up to about $40 dollars. Are the vinyl singles from the 90s much rarer than the ones from the 80s? I sometimes regret not buying them that day, but I also think that I could find them cheaper online...

I've never liked it either lol. The actual photograph looks better. The illustration looks like she was caught off guard while dressing/undressing

I'm actually in the process of collecting the singles too. I have the slbums on vinyl, thanks to my parents, but they never had any 12" singles. They did have a few 45 singles, but some of the covers are missing. Over the past year I've started collecting the 12" singles, I looooove hunting for them. When I was down at the shore this summer, this used record shop on the boardwalk had a slew of M singles on vinyl, especially a big amount from the early 90s! I've never seen Bedtime Story, Erotica. And JML in person, but they were kinda pricy!! I've bought Angel and Who's That Girl for like $4 dollars each, yet Beftime Story and Erotica were up to about $40 dollars. Are the vinyl singles from the 90s much rarer than the ones from the 80s? I sometimes regret not buying them that day, but I also think that I could find them cheaper online...

Yes, vinyl was in decline in the early 90s. The erotica and bedtime stories maxis are actually hard to come by in great condition compared to her earlier releases. I'll remember and you'll see US maxis also go for a higher price owing to their rarity along with BS and STR albums. Later maxis from ROL onwards are easier to find.

Fyi many US singles often just came in a plain paper sleeve. Sometimes there wasn't a picture cover or it was limited.

Guest bluejean

A plain paper sleeve? How awful.

That's the problem though, I don't know what release to stop at. I got Rescue Me and also saw Erotica and Bad Girl. And of course I want them! But plain sleeves do not interest me.

Is any of those US versions different in the cover from the German versions? I bought mine in Spain back then, when they were released, so i guess I have the German ones.

OK, assuming you have German releases, the following are completely different covers for maxi singles that were issued in the US or UK:

Everybody - never released in Germany but Spain did and it's quite rare. UK has a plain black sleeve. US version same as Spain version but has a colour pic on the back.

Lucky Star - UK sunglasses sleeve - very rare!

Borderline - check which you have as Germany released both the US and UK variants

Like A Virgin - UK version

Material Girl - US version

Crazy For You - Netherlands and US released a maxi version

Dress You Up - UK version

La Isla Bonita - UK different text layout

Who's That Girl - extra text for the maxi with Dub

Like A Prayer - Germany had a second maxi single with yellow sleeve

Keep It Together - US, not released in Germany

Justify My Love - Germany released a second maxi with powder blue sleeve

Rescue Me - Germany released a second maxi with grey sleeve

Rescue Me - UK - unique picture sleeve with M in silver top

Erotica - Germany released a second maxi with a gold rim round the cover

Bye Bye Baby - Germany only released a maxi single

I'll Remember - US

Secret - German standard and remix maxis are very rare. US release was white titled sleeve

TAB - Rare German maxi

Human Nature - UK and US different to original German version

Bedtime Story - UK limited sleeve

You'll See - US version very rare

On rare occasions though, Spain did release maxis themselves for some reason so check your records!

It's best to check websites like discogs and ebay to be sure what you have and what you're buying as there are so many versions!

^ oooh, i just discovered that my Secret 12" is being sold at 32 euro! And my You'll See 12" is like 25 euro! I feel very rich!

I will look at my collection when i get back home, maybe i have some kind of raritie!

Once i found Oh Father 7" Spanish single, but i gave it away as a present to a friend of mine. And now it's being sold at 38 euro!!!!! :(

I have UK Lucky Star 12" sunglasses sleeve. Is is worth much? Surely it can't be worth more than the UK non-picture sleeve US Remix 12" (which I never saw anywhere)?

I have UK Lucky Star 12" sunglasses sleeve. Is is worth much? Surely it can't be worth more than the UK non-picture sleeve US Remix 12" (which I never saw anywhere)?

It can sell for around £75!

It's the original release from 1983 which failed to chart so it's very rare although I imagine most people own the repress version that came out for a limited time in 1986 which is what I have. It doesn't affect the price. The US remix sells for less.

As for the Spanish Oh Father, does that have a cover? There us a French version with a KIT style sleeve which is rare.

Yes, it was the KIT one. So it would be the french one. It cost me 50 cents!!!! And silly me i always give presents to people and some friend was in awe at the single and i gave it to him.

To be fair i'd rather have the pleasure of his face when he got the single than having 40 euro.

Is there a reason for WB US not to release any 12" pic disc?

The only 12" PD released by WB US was 4M.

Didn't they release one for Get Together?

Didn't they release one for Get Together?

Nope. Only from UK.

I've just gone through the entire 12" PD catalog, apparently there's only 2 PD released in US so far:

- 4 Minutes

- Give It To Me

Why didn't WB US release any PD back in the 80s like UK?

Nope. Only from UK.

I've just gone through the entire 12" PD catalog, apparently there's only 2 PD released in US so far:

- 4 Minutes

- Give It To Me

Why didn't WB US release any PD back in the 80s like UK?

I think it's a chart thing. In the UK, at one point all limited editions counted towards the chart so it was a good way of bolstering sales. Everyone did it. Vogue had two poster and two pic disc limited editions on top of standard formats. It got stopped in the nineties I think as it was getting ridiculous and only a second remix CD single was permitted. Airplay never counted in the UK unlike the US where it is very influential.

So, I think it came down to what would support the success of a single. It's odd that so few other countries did limited edtions though even in the eighties. Japan had LP pic discs and there was the odd poster edition but the UK makes up the bulk of the limited editions for collecting.

Oh how I wish physicals were still released now. It would be amazing if we were still getting maxi singles, 2/3 trackers, 12" picture discs etc. Nothing beats the feeling of going into a record shop, and finding Madonna stuff to add to your collection.

Not as much as they used to though. Now we are lucky to have even a 2 track cd and even those formats were very generous which presumably were mostly aimed at the collectors. I wonder how the nest single will be released, even if they release one exclusive to her official site.

I missed those CD single limited edition.

Don't think there will be any in the future... or worse, not even a 2 tracks CD single. :(

The CD singles for GMAYL and GGW are available on amazon pretty easily.

I'm not so sure she'll relinquish the physical format. GGW sold more on physical than download, at least in the first week, I think :(

^ that's because record companies were too stupid to let go of the physical copies. They just saw the opportunity to sell "empty air" through itunes and save money, but in the end they lost big big big fanbase that were buying even multiples copies. In the early 00s, GGW would have sold like 10 times more.