"Push" - Appreciation Thread

JimmyJimmy

I want to dedicate my first thread to the mesmering and terribly underrated "Push". There's already been a few of us who have "outed" themselves as Push-fans but I think it's time we discuss this wonderful song and express our love for it in detail. :wow:

One thing I've always found fascinating about COADF in particular is that it seems like Madonna is paying tribute to herself, reflecting on her career and making several references to some of her earlier work. Mainly, Like a Prayer and the first album. I read somewhere that this song is a sequel to Borderline but I'm not sure if that's been confirmed somewhere. Hung Up clearly samples Love Song (very unexpected choice tbh) and Jump is pretty much a Keep It Together 2.0 while Get Together has a striking similarity to Holiday.

Push is quite different from the rest of the album, it's a mid-tempo song but features a more trip-hop production while the rest of the album is rather upbeat and EDM. I love the "Every Breath You Take" sample and the arabesque feel this song has. I think this song is a true gem and very different from what she's done before. From what I have experienced, people who are casual fans or non-fans really like this song and have complemented on it's production, while many fans on this forum seeem to have a great dislike for this song, which to this day is beyond me.

Push%2520%25288%2529.png

This is hands down my favorite track off of Confessions. It's a really beautiful song. And I love the ending with the overlapping vocals. I'd kill for her to perform a live version of this song.

YES YES YES YES

I remember when COADF was released and PUSH was SOOOOOOO hated. I WAS SHOCKED. I was in college at the time. I am in Canada. COADF was a HIT. and I KNOW PUSH was a big favourite amongst the casual Madonna fans that purhased the album.

So when I logged into a Madonna forum and saw SO MUCH HATE for PUSH, I was shocked. I LOVE PUSH. I always have and always will...

This is BY FAR HER MOST UNDERRATED SONG

GOD I LOVE THIS SONG!!! I am so glad to see some appreciation for it. Always, since the first listen, it's been a favorite.

Ugh, what a great album and era.

In the beginning I didn't like this. But it grew on me. It's like a pre-cursor to LION. I like the beat and that tingly sound I do not know what is that :lol:

I think it's severely underrated. And that final chorus!! :drama: She needs to do this on tour and dedicate it to her fans.

Not only is this my favorite song from COADF but it is my second favorite Madonna OF ALL TIME. Second to Frozen.

Let me start with my first listening. I was visiting my family in the US, from London, when COADF was released. I was contemplating getting a divorce from my, then, husband. I had a lot to think about and a million thoughts going through my head. It was one of the toughest times in my life. Also, I was having a fabulous time with my family and really re-connecting with them. The two songs that really stood out for me and helped me with my decision where Jump and Push. I label Jump as my 'divorce song' to this day. My whole life I've had a problem with striving to be the best I could be. My father continued to remind at every corner that I was never good enough. That has stayed with me until adulthood. Push describes my feelings towards this subject. Madonna has managed to write a song that scripts a conversation with herself. I finally realized, after forty-odd years, that it's not my dad pushing me to be the best...it's me!

Let's get to the actual structure of the song...

It starts teasing in with a cord progression of D.C.E.D. (I could be wrong). This style is an example of classic 80's techno (for lack of a better example). The sustained vocals in the beginning are continued on through-out the whole song. (I noticed that when I first heard it). It's obviously influenced from classic Indian music with its use of sustained pitch and Tanpura (Isaac does this too). How genius is that? A fusion of techno with ancient Southwest Asian!!!!

The song is slightly purposely miss-tuned. This is what makes the song pure art. The whole song is out of tune!! Again, genius! It resembles The Beatles - Tomorrow Never Knows and Led Zeppelin - Kashmir. The same idea was used here. Then, BAM!, the chorus completely changes tempo and shift. Life a knife in the heart. This is song writing at its best.

The lyrics...

Classic Madonna. She's having a conversation with herself. She's pushing herself to strive to be the best she can be. It's a silent killer. (A lot like Robin Williams' agony). She cannot turn herself off. It's pure hell. The part where she sings "Keeeeep on puuushin', like no other"....she's tired. She wants to stop but she can't. You can hear that she's exhausted.

This song is not a love song. It's not a description of your "personal best". It's a confession. It's an anthem of sadness and struggle. A lifetime of force, drive and effort.

It's her personal Opus.

This is why I love this song so much.

....another Martini, please.

I find it overproduced. A strategic remix could really help because the lyrics are quite good. I just feel under seige when I listen to it, so I don't.

Exactly the same feeling. I love the song but I can't with the schizophrenic verses and how every element of the song is equally loud.

Not only is this my favorite song from COADF but it is my second favorite Madonna OF ALL TIME. Second to Frozen.

Let me start with my first listening. I was visiting my family in the US, from London, when COADF was released. I was contemplating getting a divorce from my, then, husband. I had a lot to think about and a million thoughts going through my head. It was one of the toughest times in my life. Also, I was having a fabulous time with my family and really re-connecting with them. The two songs that really stood out for me and helped me with my decision where Jump and Push. I label Jump as my 'divorce song' to this day. My whole life I've had a problem with striving to be the best I could be. My father continued to remind at every corner that I was never good enough. That has stayed with me until adulthood. Push describes my feelings towards this subject. Madonna has managed to write a song that scripts a conversation with herself. I finally realized, after forty-odd years, that it's not my dad pushing me to be the best...it's me!

It starts teasing in with a cord progression of D.C.E.D. (I could be wrong). This style is an example of classic 80's techno (for lack of a better example). The sustained vocals in the beginning are continued on through-out the whole song. (I noticed that when I first heard it). It's obviously influenced from classic Indian music with its use of sustained pitch and Tanpura (Isaac does this too). How genius is that? A fusion of techno with ancient Southwest Asian!!!!

The song is slightly purposely miss-tuned. This is what makes the song pure art. The whole song is out of tune!! Again, genius! It resembles The Beatles - Tomorrow Never Knows and Led Zeppelin - Kashmir. The same idea was used here. Then, BAM!, the chorus completely changes tempo and shift. Life a knife in the heart. This is song writing at its best.

The lyrics...

Classic Madonna. She's having a conversation with herself. She's pushing herself to strive to be the best she can be. It's a silent killer. (A lot like Robin Williams' agony). She cannot turn herself off. It's pure hell. The part where she sings "Keeeeep on puuushin', like no other"....she's tired. She wants to stop but she can't. You can hear that she's exhausted.

This song is not a love song. It's not a description of your "personal best". It's a confession. It's an anthem of sadness and struggle. A lifetime of force, drive and effort.

It's her personal Opus.

I never looked at that song this way. This is briliiant! :clap:

The lyrics...

It's her personal Opus.

Mind = Blown

The lyrics...

It's her personal Opus.

Ummm......this is one of the best posts I've ever read on this forum! Love your interpretation.

Push has got to be one of her most underrated. I've always loved this song! Definitely one of her trippiest songs. :)

Guest whatatramp

TO GO THE EXTRA MILE

WHEN ITS DIFFICULT TO SMILE

A BETTER VERSION OF MYSELF, ONLY YOU AND ONLY YOU AND ONLY YOU

SEE THE OTHER POINT OF VIEW

WHEN THERE'S NOTHING ELSE TO TO

WHEN I THINK I KNOW IT ALL, ONLY YOU AND ONLY AND ONLY YOU :drama:

I loved WeboGirl's post! For me when I listen to Push it is my song to Madonna if that makes sense, a thank you for leading by example, over the years her dedication, ambition, drive and discipline have inspired me in numerous cycles, again and again.

I'm inspired by her self empowerment, her model lifestyle, her constant need for self evaluation and more knowledge.

More recently infact I do find myself thinking of her when there's something I don't want to do but needs to be done, I'll think "Madonna would just do it and get it over with" and I do it.

She tells me if you want to achieve anything, first I have to want it more than everybody else, secondly I have to be prepared to work harder and harder each time putting in the effort I want to see replicated in the results and lastly there is no easy way but there always is a way.

I don't know if I'm coming off as pathetic but we're all on this board for some personal reason or another and after everything at the core this is mine.

Guest Rachelle of London

TO GO THE EXTRA MILE

WHEN ITS DIFFICULT TO SMILE

A BETTER VERSION OF MYSELF, ONLY YOU AND ONLY YOU AND ONLY YOU

SEE THE OTHER POINT OF VIEW

WHEN THERE'S NOTHING ELSE TO TO

WHEN I THINK I KNOW IT ALL, ONLY YOU AND ONLY AND ONLY YOU :drama:

I loved WeboGirl's post! For me when I listen to Push it is my song to Madonna if that makes sense, a thank you for leading by example, over the years her dedication, ambition, drive and discipline have inspired me in numerous cycles, again and again.

I'm inspired by her self empowerment, her model lifestyle, her constant need for self evaluation and more knowledge.

More recently infact I do find myself thinking of her when there's something I don't want to do but needs to be done, I'll think "Madonna would just do it and get it over with" and I do it.

She tells me if you want to achieve anything, first I have to want it more than everybody else, secondly I have to be prepared to work harder and harder each time putting in the effort I want to see replicated in the results and lastly there is no easy way but there always is a way.

I don't know if I'm coming off as pathetic but we're all on this board for some personal reason or another and after everything at the core this is mine.

:clap:

only you and only you and only you

I find as the rest of Confessions has aged, Push has matured, and it's such a real M song on an album of very good pop songs that aren't necessarily classic Madonna. I used to love Hung Up, Let It Will Be and Jump, as time's gone on I find myself far more drawn to Forbidden Love and Push, they are brilliant and very underrated

I had always thought it was about Guy, but Webogirl's understanding is magnificent, it really is a confession.

*goes off to listen to Push on repeat*

The lyrics...

It's her personal Opus.

Very interesting analysis, I wouldn't have said it better :thumbsup: