Do u expect solid songwriting on the new album?

Thank you. Surely everyone here has been fans of Madonna for long enough to know she changes up her music and image with each album. Just look forward to what she is releasing and don't over analyse or predict anything. Also, perhaps if people did not keep concentrating on songs they don't like, they would be more excited. There is plenty of thoughtful deep and personal songs on MDNA but the lighter songs that some seem to hate, keep getting quoted and used as evidence over and over.

Always speaking the truth Jazzy!!

Gang Bang

I'm Addicted

I Don't Give A

I'm A Sinner

Love Spent

Masterpiece

Falling Free

I Fucked Up

Best Friend

Beautiful Killer

All of those are immature and/or unsophisticated pop songs?? That's ten tracks......same length as Music album and longer than her first 3 albums.

Well, to be fair...out of the ones you've listed the only well-written tracks in terms of melody and rhyme schemes etc. are Love Spent, I'm Addicted, Masterpiece, Falling Free, Beautiful Killer, I'm a Sinner and parts of Best Friend imo.

I Don't Give A apart from the bridge is a lyrical disaster and I Fucked Up is just plain dreadful. Gang Bang is amazing but really not a lyrical masterpiece, lol.

Well, to be fair...out of the ones you've listed the only well-written tracks in terms of melody and rhyme schemes etc. are Love Spent, I'm Addicted, Masterpiece, Falling Free, Beautiful Killer, I'm a Sinner and parts of Best Friend imo.

I Don't Give A apart from the bridge is a lyrical disaster and I Fucked Up is just plain dreadful. Gang Bang is amazing but really not a lyrical masterpiece, lol.

Receipts? What musical expert proved this or did Madonna say it herself?

Don't turn your opinions into facts.

Receipts? What musical expert proved this or did Madonna say it herself?

Don't turn your opinions into facts.

Never said it was a fact, not sure if it's my way of writing (I'm not a native speaker) that made it look that way. :/

I was simply responding to Kurt's statement by by giving him my opinion on what he said, just like Kurt's opinion was that those were THE most sophisticated songs from MDNA. We could go on and on about opinions and what is valid and what isn't and the outcome would be the same because pretty much everything is seen from a subjective point of view.

Edited by JimmyJimmy

Wait. What songs have "fuzzy dream" in them besides Miles Away?

I'm So Stupid (2003) ("I'm so stupid, 'cause I used to live in a fuzzy dream...")

Miles Away (2008) ("I just woke up from a fuzzy dream, you never would believe the things that I have seen.")

Broken (2009) ("I've woken from a fuzzy dream. You never would believe the things that I have seen")

Edited by JimmyJimmy

I'm So Stupid (2003) ("I'm so stupid, 'cause I used to live in a fuzzy dream...")

Miles Away (2008) ("I just woke up from a fuzzy dream, you never would believe the things that I have seen.")

Broken (2009) ("I've woken from a fuzzy dream. You never would believe the things that I have seen")

Ok so two. Broken hardly counts since it is so obscure and was never officially released. I'll give her a pass on that one. :). However, the whole waiting/anticipating/hesitating and celebration/hesitation rhyme needs to be retired.

Ok so two. Broken hardly counts since it is so obscure and was never officially released. I'll give her a pass on that one. :). However, the whole waiting/anticipating/hesitating and celebration/hesitation rhyme needs to be retired.

But what about the gun/shoot you down references. There's been quite a lot of that recently too, lol.

White Heat (lol), Revolver, Broken, Gang Bang, Beautiful Killer

The point is, people keep saying she doesn't sing about anything substantial on MDNA and GGW, GMAYL and fucking Birthday Song are trotted out AGAIN as evidence. I don't particularly care for IFU very much either, but it's very personal lyrically. Probably one of the most honest and straight forward songs she's ever done about a relationship. Same could be said for IDGA. "I tried to be a good girl. I tried to be your wife. Diminish myself and swallow my light" could've easily been a lyric on LAP album. Those songs are not about "Tangueray" and "I'm a happy girl in a happy world", there is "substance" to them. Gang Bang is more about atmosphere than just the lyrics. That song is like an audio movie. The almost cinematic quality of its live performance match it's sound perfectly.

And just a friendly reminder this IS the same woman that wrote "star light star bright" and "ring ring ring goes the telephone". TUTR, GMAYL are no worse than those songs lyrically. Personally, I don't find that TUTR has the "oomph" factor of the aforementioned but lyrically they aren't far off. Why does EVERYTHING have to be Live To Tell, Oh Father, DW/SFL or Mer Girl to be good?

I stand by my opinion that if any of the single releases from MDNA had taken off, the tune sung around here would be completely different. Especially GGW with that accompanying video that is classic M. Likewise, if HU hadn't been accepted by the masses the way it was, it wouldn't be as beloved as it is. I don't say that because I think everyone are sheep either. It's only natural to get more attached to songs that you hear out and about with friends etc because it creates memories that make the song more special.

Thank you. Surely everyone here has been fans of Madonna for long enough to know she changes up her music and image with each album. Just look forward to what she is releasing and don't over analyse or predict anything. Also, perhaps if people did not keep concentrating on songs they don't like, they would be more excited. There is plenty of thoughtful deep and personal songs on MDNA but the lighter songs that some seem to hate, keep getting quoted and used as evidence over and over.

Exactly this!and furthermore, I would give Madonna all my goddamn motherfucking love if she asked for it again

The point is, people keep saying she doesn't sing about anything substantial on MDNA and GGW, GMAYL and fucking Birthday Song are trotted out AGAIN as evidence. I don't particularly care for IFU very much either, but it's very personal lyrically. Probably one of the most honest and straight forward songs she's ever done about a relationship. Same could be said for IDGA. "I tried to be a good girl. I tried to be your wife. Diminish myself and swallow my light" could've easily been a lyric on LAP album. Those songs are not about "Tangueray" and "I'm a happy girl in a happy world", there is "substance" to them. Gang Bang is more about atmosphere than just the lyrics. That song is like an audio movie. The almost cinematic quality of its live performance match it's sound perfectly.

And just a friendly reminder this IS the same woman that wrote "star light star bright" and "ring ring ring goes the telephone". TUTR, GMAYL are no worse than those songs lyrically. Personally, I don't find that TUTR has the "oomph" factor of the aforementioned but lyrically they aren't far off. Why does EVERYTHING have to be Live To Tell, Oh Father, DW/SFL or Mer Girl to be good?

I stand by my opinion that if any of the single releases from MDNA had taken off, the tune sung around here would be completely different. Especially GGW with that accompanying video that is classic M. Likewise, if HU hadn't been accepted by the masses the way it was, it wouldn't be as beloved as it is. I don't say that because I think everyone are sheep either. It's only natural to get more attached to songs that you hear out and about with friends etc because it creates memories that make the song more special.

+1

Salem Al Fakir is a great songwriter, his collaborations might turn out to be very strong. I'm afraid the Diplo stuff will end up being half arsed as he is not really a songwriter but a DJ/ producer and Madonna often tends to let herself get away with cliches and throwaway lyrics. Diplo's production style can be a bit abrasive and needs flesh in form of great songs to work for Madonna. Otherwise it will just be a case of empty cans - noise without substance. If the Avicii tracks don't sound like Avicii tracks he might actually get a pass. A couple of tracks co-written with Patrick Leonard wouldn't hurt anyone, I don't know why she seems to be so reluctant about it.

Ahhhh now I understand what you meant. Yes, I agree. It can't be denied that there are a lot of very personal lyrics on MDNA, whether the songs they belong to are any good is another story but the personal input is much more visible on this album than it was on HC, for example.

I think the problem with this album and it's reception is that it contains many gems but also a whole lot of crap songs. More than on any of her other albums and I think that's mainly because of it's length and the way this album has been made. Usually Madonna makes great albums with only one or two bad songs but this album...I don't know...it's like an album full of stand-alone songs some are rather good, a few are really great and then some are really horrible.

But then again that's just my opinion and I'm 100% sure there's always a few people who like this song or that song. It must be the extreme diversity of this album that makes it such a sensitive topic and so difficult to discuss.

Ahhhh now I understand what you meant. Yes, I agree. It can't be denied that there are a lot of very personal lyrics on MDNA, whether the songs they belong to are any good is another story but the personal input is much more visible on this album than it was on HC, for example.

I think the problem with this album and it's reception is that it contains many gems but also a whole lot of crap songs. More than on any of her other albums and I think that's mainly because of it's length and the way this album has been made. Usually Madonna makes great albums with only one or two bad songs but this album...I don't know...it's like an album full of stand-alone songs some are rather good, a few are really great and then some are really horrible.

But then again that's just my opinion and I'm 100% sure there's always a few people who like this song or that song. It must be the extreme diversity of this album that makes it such a sensitive topic and so difficult to discuss.

Oddly, I think Madonnas "generosity" by including bonus tracks etc, hurt the perception of the album. Many tend to lump the bonus tracks as part of the actual album......and many feel some songs on actual album should've been just bonus tracks. I guess that's the nature of an "iTunes era" release.

I know I'm in the minority here, but as much as I adore Confessions (it's prob my fave 00's album from her), lyrically, even when it was new, I felt she was retreading the same topics she covered on AL (arguably topics she started exploring with ROL). My first impression after hearing COADF was "this is AL with more glossy production". Its like she was determined to get her message heard one way or another! So, for me the more personal songs on HC like MA, SNM and Incredible were sort of a breath of fresh air from the "Estherdonna" songwriting we had gotten on the prior couple of albums. HC also of course had the "frivolous" tracks like CS, BGO, D2N etc and even that was a breath of fresh air for me because it harkened back to her early years style of songs which she hadn't really done arguably since pre-LAP years. People like to dismiss it because the Timbo sound wasn't fresh at that time, but after 10 yrs of primarily "electronic" music and lyrically covering many of the same subjects (fame ain't all it's cracked up to be, joys of being a mother and wife) it was refreshing to something different, even if it wasn't the next big sound. It was different FOR HER. I'm an old school fan, she doesn't have to create a completely new sound that's never been heard before for me to be satisfied. That's more the "ray of lighter" mentality. ;)

Promotional idea:

She drops an album full of Hey Yous, Superstars and Birthday Songs for free on youtube, no first single of course, collects awful reviews, fan meltdowns and when all attention is on her she reveals it was a hoax and then drops the real album.

Oddly, I think Madonnas "generosity" by including bonus tracks etc, hurt the perception of the album. Many tend to lump the bonus tracks as part of the actual album......and many feel some songs on actual album should've been just bonus tracks. I guess that's the nature of an "iTunes era" release.

I know I'm in the minority here, but as much as I adore Confessions (it's prob my fave 00's album from her), lyrically, even when it was new, I felt she was retreading the same topics she covered on AL (arguably topics she started exploring with ROL). My first impression after hearing COADF was "this is AL with more glossy production". Its like she was determined to get her message heard one way or another! So, for me the more personal songs on HC like MA, SNM and Incredible were sort of a breath of fresh air from the "Estherdonna" songwriting we had gotten on the prior couple of albums. HC also of course had the "frivolous" tracks like CS, BGO, D2N etc and even that was a breath of fresh air for me because it harkened back to her early years style of songs which she hadn't really done arguably since pre-LAP years. People like to dismiss it because the Timbo sound wasn't fresh at that time, but after 10 yrs of primarily "electronic" music and lyrically covering many of the same subjects (fame ain't all it's cracked up to be, joys of being a mother and wife) it was refreshing to something different, even if it wasn't the next big sound. It was different FOR HER. I'm an old school fan, she doesn't have to create a completely new sound that's never been heard before for me to be satisfied. That's more the "ray of lighter" mentality. ;)

I actually like her Estherish sogs because they tend to be more political and philosophical. I see COADF as more of a retrospective album. She pays tribute to herself and reflects on her previous work, her career and even goes as far as sampling herself. Many songs on that album are sequels to some of her 80's tracks. Hung Up = Love Song 2.0 / Get Together = Holiday 2.0 / Jump = Keep It Together 2.0 / Push = Borderline 2.0

You know what? I actually LOVED Timbo's tracks. I wasn't to keen on 50% of Pharrel's tracks because to me they sound like demos as most of his music does. He did a really good job on BGO, SNM and HB imo but the rest sounded too unpolished for my tatste, but again that's just my personal preference and you don't have to agree with it. I didn't care if Timbo's sound was fresh or not but that was the music I loved listening to at that time and I was extremely thrilled when i heard he was going to produce her new album. Pala Tute, Animal and Acroos the Sky are real gems and I prefer them to some of Pharrel's tracks to be honest.

Anyway...I actually really loved HC and I think it will gain more and more appreciation over time. It adds such diversity to her catalogue and it really was really a refreshing album after all the electronic stuff we got during the late 90's and 00's. I think the Celebration songs and parts of MDNA are really the only time Madonna didn't focus on making good music. She had so much shit going on at that time, I can totally see why Music wasn't her priority at that time. However, as uninspired as she seemed during the past few years the more enthusiastic and hyped she seems to be about this album and that is really something that we can all be excited about. :)

MoZella hasn't been mentioned once in this thread and she's been Madonna's main co-writer other than Natalia and the Avicii crew. She has been close to Madonna throughout the recording process. She seems to be a co writer for a lot of the Diplo, Ariel, Toby Gad tracks

It seems to me that we are almost assured to get better lyrical content and a more organic sound. Madonna writing the songs from the ground up in an intimate way as opposed to the demo heavy MDNA.

I've been listening to MoZella for a few months and I enjoy some tracks from her solo album.

I'd prefer to see more songs like Beautiful Killer and none like Gang Bang.

I agree! I do like Gang Bang though, but I reckon Beautiful Killer could sit with Causing a Commotion, they both have that catchy energy. It's the Madonna of old!