Is GHV2 Underrated?

5iVe Elements

Do you think GHV2 is underrated?

I notice in my Spotify it's the only album that's not there. I know it's probably because of Celebration but not all songs in GHV2 are in Celebration. I also know of fans' disappointment with GHV2 in comparison to TIC but I've loved GHV2 since the start.

When I was just a casual fan it's the album of M I listened to a lot and the tracklisting is very impressive. People thought the Miami mix of Argentina should've been there but it was good they chose the soundtrack version as it adds to the diversity of the songs.

Thoughts?

I like it a lot, I'm not nerdy about edits, I mean GH collections r 4 the 'radio fans'...they don't notice.

Got it. Well during the 90's the videos were a big part for the songs as well besides the radio (Ray of Light, Frozen...). IMO Human Nature is pointless without the "I'm not your bitch...". :p

she could have made a massive deal and it would have sold shit loads at that time, she was at another peak around 2001. She was also in her 'I hate all my old music' stage aswell and wanting to be an actress again *cue swept away* :lmao:

Guest whatatramp

It's not under or overrated, it's just....there. A missed opportunity in many, many ways.

agreed, sometimes I forget it exists

It was tossed together to earn a few bucks during the holiday season. It was released during her "punk-rock" phase, and a hits compilation by a major artist, with no new tracks, was a ballsy move, I guess.

Shifting 150,000 in its debut week in the USA was pretty impressive, given the circumstances.

Guest Rachelle of London

I quite like the compliation. If you wanna listen to the album version of a song, listen to the album.

and GHV2 is currently £2 in Morrisons! You cant get better than that!

The tracklisting and song selection were kinda shit, although I don't mind the edits. I also didn't really like the packaging. I think the design was rather lazy and so was the whole artwork. The liner notes were funny but didn't really seem to focus on the music.

I don't think it's underrated. I think it's rated accurately.

As with Celebration, the edits ruin it for me. I'm too OCD. I did purchase a bunch of them for family and friends that Christmas though. Didn't it come out the same day as the DWT DVD? I relate GHV2 to being an M overload purchase day (& also M memories attached to the early post-9/11 world). Had this been titled the rumored The Second Coming it would have been genius; a second ironic jab at a religious phrase like The Immaculate Collection before it. As many already mentioned: wasted opportunity.

GHV2 has been underrated since release on 11/13/2001. It spans singles from four of her most essential LPs and has fantastic artwork.

Despite the breadth of material covered, Celebration is an inferior product slapped together by ill-informed idiots, while GHV2 was put together to complement The Immaculate Collection and Something To Remember by legitimately talented people who were originally involved with the original releases and who knew what they were doing. They're long gone now, and retrospectives and vault releases on the WB label are apparently handled by retarded interns now for "credit". :americanlife:

tracklist should have been

The Second Coming

01. Erotica (Album Edit)

02. Deeper And Deeper (7" Edit)

03. Fever (Edit One)

04. Rain ( Video Edit)

05. Secret (Album Edit)

06. Take A Bow (Album Edit)

07. Human Nature (Video Mix)

08. You'll See (Edit)

09. You Must Love Me (Single Version)

10. Frozen (Album Edit)

11. Ray Of Light

12. The Power Of Good-bye

13. Beautiful Stranger (WO Radio Edit)

14. American Pie

15. Music

16. Don't Tell Me

17. New Song

The Second Coming would've been a genius title, indeed. I think they should've simply put another "Music" track (either Impressive Instant or Paradise - because there was already a video ready to promote it) on there and release that as a single backed with the GHV2 Megamix and Time Stood Still or the Orbit Remix of I'll Remember as b-side. Similar to the Holiday Collection.