How do you react to "Madonna is overrated"

drunkbysix

When someone says this to you, do you just automatically smack them in the face in disgust? Or do you try to disprove them with facts? Or do you just say fuck it?

The other day, a friend of mine simply said "madonna is overrated" and I asked them why. They said "oh because she can't sing all that well and she relies on big production in her shows. She's just hiding that she does not have much talent"

So I replied with countless videos of madonna without any production moving the audience and sounding exceptionally well, her dance abilities, song writing skills, etc.

"She still can't sing, she's overrated"

is it impossible to get through to these people, even with facts/proof?

It depends in which mood I am, and on the person. Sometimes there's just no point in trying to argue with someone who has already made up their mind.

I am quite frankly sick of people saying that Madonna can't sing though. Just because she's not singing like Mariah used to do, doesn't mean she can't sing.

Regarding her big productions: Do they not realize it takes a lot of talent to pull those kind of shows off? To plan and execute them? It's much easier to just stand and sing. Meanwhile Madonna gives us dancing, singing, theatrics - the whole experience.

Guest Rachelle of London

I used to get miffed but life's too short. Everyone's got an opinion. Madonna didn't become the biggest selling female artist of all time by accident. She ain't worried, why should I be.

I have heard it a couple of times and never reacted. If people think she is overrated then thats their opinion. They are wrong, but its their opinion. If people are not willing to look further than their own nose, its not my job to enlighten them.

People can have whatever opinion of whoever they want. However, you can take advantage of situations where you're in control of the music and play the everliving hell out of her records.

It will either (A) educate them, showing them the error of their way or (B) drive them up the wall. The Madonna fan wins in each scenario.

If she was over rated as they think how come she's been called all sort of names under the sun.. when she was huge in the 80's selling more than any singers out there she was considered as a big marketing ploy. They even accused her of not singing her own songs and just pose for pictures and videos!

In the 90's when she started to reveal a more intimate and artistic side she was deemed a slut, a whore.. again she had no talent. When she did Ray Of Light everybody was praising William Orbit. It looked like as if he was the star of the show. Again, Madonna's biggest talent was to find the right collaborator at the right time.. in short Madonna was for once praised by critics but not for being talented but for being smart!

American Life was considered a failure although she chose to tap personal and artistic venues. Confessions On A Dancefloor was the fruit of labor conceived thanks to Stuart Price. Again, he made the record not Madonna according to the critics!

Hard Candy and MDNA are considered low points in her career because she did not set trends but she followed them. Surely, they never said a word about MJ or The Beatles or Celin Dion or Mariah Carey or even Beyonce who have always given us the same sound and music and lyrics throughout their whole careers.. but somehow Madonna must find the sound of the future every two minutes if not she's seen as a failure!

Her shows are huge and successful but as someone else pointed out it's because they use big productions NOT because it's actually Madonna singing and dancing and entertaining for 2 hours in a row.

Usually people say Madonna's over rated because they stan for some other pop bitch out there and they just can't get over the fact Madonna's achieved more than their fave so they just say she's over rated but regardless of this "over rated" concept i just don't get it.. if anything Madonna's far from being over rated. So when these people say Madonna's over rated i would just say just because all these new pop stars are copying her and/or use her career as a template that doesn't mean she's over rated... that means she's duplicated!!

People can have whatever opinion of whoever they want. However, you can take advantage of situations where you're in control of the music and play the everliving hell out of her records.

It will either (A) educate them, showing them the error of their way or (B) drive them up the wall. The Madonna fan wins in each scenario.

I choose option B all the time. Long are the days when I get into some argue and prove some point with ignorant people.

This is going to sound arrogant but fuck it.......people that say Madonna is overrated simply have a very one dimensional view of what it is to be an artist. Some people just are not capable of "getting" her or what she's about. How can someone that literally changed the face of music and pop culture be overrated? You don't have to like how she changed it, you don't have to like the results of her changing it but to call her overrated because you don't like her is ignorant.

I don't really get into the details anymore...I usually just say:

That's nice, but she's the most influential female artist of all time, & it helps if u throw in the words: "historically speaking".

The END.

:fag:

The few unfortunate people I have to deal with rather bash her for age, e.g. "She's so embarassing for her age", "Her face is so plastic", "She should age in dignity"... Like most people here, sometimes I bother to respond, sometimes I don't.

Something which bothers me much more though is when people tell me she tries too hard to be young and then use her last album as an example, since, in regards to this particular point of prejudice, M herself is at fault. We all know MDNA does have maturity and an artistical value, but those damn singles she released gave off the completely opposite impression to the general public. So, in terms of this aspect, M herself could up her reputation again if she doesn't fuck up the single releases for the next album again.

When it comes to that tired "She's embarassing / doesn't age with dignity" shtick though, it's of course pretty hopeless. No matter what I say, many people just remain stubborn and can't accept the fact that M won't give in to whatever society excepts of her and keeps on pushing against the boundaries of ageism. But after all, that has always been what Madonna does. She always pushes boundaries, and that's simply what pisses off narrow-minded people.

nobody ever told me she is overrated but once I was in the gym and listening to Madonna inthe headphones and one of the trainers asked me what are you listening? I replied : Madonna

then he said : I thought she was dead.

You should've chopped his dick off after that comment.

I don't bother replying to those dimwits especially if they're little morons. They can deny it all they want but the facts remain. And them downplaying her success will never affect my enjoyment of her music.

Do you even notice how Madonnas,success and acheivements are downplayed, when Michael Jacksons success and acheivements are always hyped up by everyone

Bizarre

Do you even notice how Madonnas,success and acheivements are downplayed, when Michael Jacksons success and acheivements are always hyped up by everyone

Bizarre

We have discussed this a hundred times before. MJ died an early and tragic death, that's why. He's one of the biggest icons of music, so he absolutely deserves the acclaim he receives now IMO, but if it hadn't been for his death, I'll bet you he wouldn't be hyped by many. If Madonna dropped dead tomorrow (god forbid), she'd be everyone's darling as well. Sad, but that's how it is.

Guest whatatramp

I used to get miffed but life's too short. Everyone's got an opinion. Madonna didn't become the biggest selling female artist of all time by accident. She ain't worried, why should I be.

+1 although I can't remember hearing anybody say anything bad about her in real life

^ which doesnt,even make sense, since any fool with 2 eyes can tell you that Madonna looks MUCH better than Deborah Harry

Some people just love to hate

Most people,I know generally like or at least respect Madonna a nd her contribution to music

I did work with one 60 something asxhole, who just retired this past summer, who always had some negative shit to,say about Madonna

You know the type, a dude in his 60s wh 2 teenage grand daughters that hes clse to, so he goes to a lot of concerts with them and he always talks about taking them to see Taylor Swift, Pink, Lady Gaga and Justin Timberlake

He tells people that they are HIS favorite artists too, lying fuck he probably worships Neil Diamond, to make himseld look all hip and down with the kids

Anyway, I mentioned that Madonna and Justin had,worked together on an album and this idiot looks at me with a straight face and actually says

Madonna NOBODY EVEN KNOWS WHO SHE IS ANYMORE

He then proceeds to tell me that shes a nobody and last century, because his grand daughters dont listen to her amd that I should listen to newer and hipper music like he does

I cant, I just cant!

Most people,I know generally like or at least respect Madonna a nd her contribution to music

I did work with one 60 something asxhole, who just retired this past summer, who always had some negative shit to,say about Madonna

You know the type, a dude in his 60s wh 2 teenage grand daughters that hes clse to, so he goes to a lot of concerts with them and he always talks about taking them to see Taylor Swift, Pink, Lady Gaga and Justin Timberlake

He tells people that they are HIS favorite artists too, lying fuck he probably worships Neil Diamond, to make himseld look all hip and down with the kids

Anyway, I mentioned that Madonna and Justin had,worked together on an album and this idiot looks at me with a straight face and actually says

Madonna NOBODY EVEN KNOWS WHO SHE IS ANYMORE

He then proceeds to tell me that shes a nobody and last century, because his grand daughters dont listen to her amd that I should listen to newer and hipper music like he does

I cant, I just cant!

:lmao: The look on the little girl's face.

Daniel, you always have such wonderful images of Madonna in your signature. The latest one is beautiful as always.

Thanks Jan :), tumblr is a blessing, I don't know maybe somebody of this forum created these, Pud perhaps?

i have never heard anybody say such a thing in real life. my generation, my circle of friends, all acknowledge her greatness. the only time i "hear" that, is from stupid people online. mostly from mimiphant and the gorgon's fans.