Madonnas downfall in the 90s?

Samo

US radio during the early to mid 90's was dominated by alternative rock and grunge influenced sounds so the music she was making was pretty out of step with US radio sounds at the time. I remember that US magazine article which claimed she was over, suggesting that she get some guitars! I love alternative rock/indie, but that kind of music with loud guitars really doesn't suit her. so good thing she didn't follow that advice. So despite what some say, she doesn't always follow music trends.

She got her some guitars in "Candy Perfume Girl", "Drowned World/Substitute for Love", and of course "Ray of Light" :popcorn2:

Yes, but that was in the late 90's after the grunge fad had passed for the most part. And they don't really have an alternative rock sound.

I knew, I knew. I ate a popcorn there, I wasn't trying to refute your point.

Good Lord. Get some humor, Glinda.

sorry, I guess sometimes it's hard to tell on a forum if you don't see someone's voice and face expression when they are joking. I guess I don't see why it's necessary to make fun of me when I was making a valid point. Why is some people's humor always about putting people down. I have a great sense of humor. You just don't know me.

^ I don't know. I see/remember it differently. I definitely don't recall her saying she wanted to remove herself from the top - and I've watched both of those interviews recently. I also don't see 94 - 96 as artistically free and "fuck it." She was in major damage control after Erotica. Bedtime Stories, regardless of how honest and amazing that album is, was a conscious step away from her more in-your-face image. And STR was an attempt to ride the wave of AC ballads that were popular at the time. She worked with David Foster for chrissake!

I didn't say she said that. In retrospect, it sounds like she knew that everyone that's famous has a shelf life.

None of the rules applied to her, of course. (cue sarcasm here) All she had to do to win people's hearts again was have a baby.

I'm also not saying it wasn't contrived to release an album with a softer image. But i dont think the bedtime stories videos were so soft.

And who cares if she worked with David Foster? Patrick Leonard wasn't knocking down any social barriers with his productions either, yet some of the most provocative moments of her (earlier) career were PL coproductions, for example the videos for Like A Prayer and Open Your Heart.

I actually think it was almost brave to work with David Foster, if for no other reason than for doing a 180 with her previous sounds.

Not to mention that when your business is climbing and conquering mountains, what do you do when you get to the top? I don't think Madonna would have ever been content to have her ass kissed and just receive accolades for the last 30 years. She's too much of a provocateur. She likes pushing buttons, and making people think, and when no one's thinking about your work while listening to it, they forget to like the next "same ol' thing" you put out. Ask Mariah Carey. She knows all about that.

Edited by madryan

I often say how impressed I am that she didn't totally lose her marbles around this time. She was publicly mauled. I mean, the woman was torn to shreds, called every name in the book, and STILL came out on top.

She's a strong woman, that's all.