WHAT ABOUT: "Imagine" from Tsunami Aid (CHARITYDONNA)

Apples388

RIT version with the lovely hairnet was also quite serene. I think JL would have loved M if he were still alive.

I agree. Madonna shows so much respect for what is being said in this song in her performance and John was all about what's being said. I feel so much heart from Madonna's performance of Imagine.

Guest CzarnaWisnia

Curious, why don't you like the song?

I don't know exactly. Maybe because I see it as so naive and utopic as to lose all meaning. I can't help rationalizing while I hear the lyrics. No countries? No religions? That's an impossibility and even if that were to happen, humans would find other ways to divide themselves. There's no solution in that song to me, it's just trippy. Or maybe it's just I've heard it so many times before by various artists I simply don't care anymore.

Or maybe it's just I've heard it so many times before by various artists I simply don't care anymore.

Id say that makes more sense as to why you dont care for it. Your other reason is ridiculous

I don't know exactly. Maybe because I see it as so naive and utopic as to lose all meaning. I can't help rationalizing while I hear the lyrics. No countries? No religions? That's an impossibility and even if that were to happen, humans would find other ways to divide themselves. There's no solution in that song to me, it's just trippy. Or maybe it's just I've heard it so many times before by various artists I simply don't care anymore.

The word Imagine is obviously the key word in the song. John was asking people to "imagine" it. I think he just wanted people to think. Countries, religions as an idea are neither good nor bad. Some attach themselves though and identify themselves through these things. John was removing all distractions, attachments and even the light at the end of the tunnel to get them to focus on what is inside them and the present. Whether you ban something or worship it you are still giving it power and I think John's idea was that people need to focus on their humanity and how we are all essentially one.

John was too open minded to rally for no countries, religions, etc. John wanted people to think and honestly this is a trait that attracts me to Madonna.

Guest bluejean

Firstly, this is my absolute favourite song ever. The original recording by John Lennon only though.

Madonna's version is atrocious.

And I agree with Larkspur. The song isn't suggesting there should be no countries it's just highlighting the fact that different countries, religion, greed etc is where war stems from and suggesting the listener imagine the world without all these things. The lyrics are simple but they pose questions that never stop being relevant.

Covering a popular song is difficult. John practically speaks the first couple of lines of each verse. It's the last two lines of each verse that become more melodic which I believe Madonna does very well as well as the chorus. I think she should have not have tried to create a melody which I think she is trying to do at the beginning of each verse.

It's hard to make something your own when one version is so beloved. Like someone else singing Like A Prayer.