Did Madonna have a 'peak'?

madgemusic85

I think it is relative to what standard of success you are using to measure.

For example::

Commercial success

Artistic Success

Critical Success

General pop culture/public attention/media coverage

Madonna has had many ups and downs in all of these areas, but I would say that the only time all three "peaked" (all-time high in unison) was in 89-90.

Why do people keep forgetting to mention Evita? I was only little back then but i remember she was everywhere! And even radio was playing songs like Don't Cry For Me Argentina.

The Evita and motherhood moment between 1996 and 1997 was definitely a peak in her career!

She had several peaks:

85-86

89-91

98-01

05-06.

Lets hope the next one is around the corner. It has been too long.

Agreed! Bring on a phenomenal album that the world cannot ignore!

She had several peaks

84-85: She personified pop culture and at that moment in time THE 80's. She was the it-girl & peaked commercially.

1990: LEGEND

1998-2001: New commercial peak, at the height of her critical acclaim, respect & admiration from the general public.

...is the way I see it. :fag:

I agree, mostly. 1984 - 1987 was her commercial peak. You could say 1984 - 1992, but she did experience a commercial decline starting with LAP, as she become more controversial and political, which was IMO her creative peak. Then the "renaissance" from 1998 - 2001.

Besides the peaks of 84-85, 89-90, 98-01 her last real GLOBAL peak was in 05-06. Locally for the USA her last peak was 98-01.

So its safe to say that in her 30+ years career she had 4 major peaks, the 05-06 being the lesser one only because the americans refused to acknowledge another peak to an already very long career.

Why do people keep forgetting to mention Evita? I was only little back then but i remember she was everywhere! And even radio was playing songs like Don't Cry For Me Argentina.

The Evita and motherhood moment between 1996 and 1997 was definitely a peak in her career!

I saw Evita in a theater full of 40-50 something year old well dressed snooty looking couples and I thought they were all going to hate it, at the end they gave it a standing ovation. I think that might be the only time I saw that happen at a movie. And this was not her audience at all. Absolutely one of her biggest peaks.

"Peak" undoubtedly IS 1990.

Madonna was the biggest star on the planet hands down.

Blond Ambition, Vogue, The Immaculate Collection...the collection of her biggest hits....half the songs were massive number 1s.

But Madonnas "hay day" will alwys be the 80s.

She really had no rivals in the 80s....she owns it for woman.....her fashion, her iconic songs, her live persona, her personality and her celebrity.

In the 90s many other woman do rival her...but I agree with everybody else ROL was a massive resurgence and her biggest re-invention!

Commercially she was back on top again....and I think for someone who had 15years at that point behind them to be back and in such demand is such a rare thing!

I also agree that 2005, Confessions was the "last" so far....sort of "peak".

It was certainly the last time she was "everywhere" and fully marketed herself on the market....and to the "general public".

1989-1992 was her peak

She was EVERYWHERE and always had new products out, as opposed to nowadays where she takes LONG breaks between releases

In 1991, qhen Oliver Stone was attached to direct

Evita and Madonnas name came,up, he said that,she was TOO,FAMOUS to play Evita and that shes on every magazine cover in the world, , .9/,9 4m 81 c/ c//78 c/ c/ 780 c/ 90

.%

I wouldn't call the Confessions era a peak in her career. It was more like a comeback, which many artists have during their careers. Its like saying Mariah Carey peaked with the Mimi album. She didn't. Her peak was in the mid 90s.

I saw Evita in a theater full of 40-50 something year old well dressed snooty looking couples and I thought they were all going to hate it, at the end they gave it a standing ovation. I think that might be the only time I saw that happen at a movie. And this was not her audience at all. Absolutely one of her biggest peaks.

Evita was no peak in America. It was the beginning of her comeback with ROL. She started getting good press with Lola's birth, then the Golden Globes, etc... her pregnancy was everywhere in the press just like her interview with David Letterman but that doesn't mean it was a peak. The peak of the ROL era was from the VMA sweep to the Grammy recognition.

Did Madonna have a peak in her career? Or is there more than one peak? Maybe her career is leveled out evenly in your eyes? Maybe her whole career is a peak?

What do you think?

Yep, "Confessions on a Dance Floor" was her creative peak in my opinion. She hasn't done anything remotely as masterful as that since... although let's see what the new album delivers. I'm always hopeful before a new release.

Edited by ruey

Do you think her next album's influence will like Ray of Light??

i m not sure do i understand question :D or is this a joke on my english?

but lets say i do...

i m not sure what influence rol had...it was success but influence i dont see. more influence was made by coadf leotard or cowboys from Music album on fashion then rol music did influenced other pop music. electronic music already was part of mainstream at that time. it was major hit as a surprise that madonna did with her reinvention by sound and visual then anything else (ofcours and quality of production, lyrics and melodies)

i think next album must have music/coadf impact couse MDNA, HC lost it. (HC was a hit but....)

she needs to jump again everywhere to continue her line....i need it and i think world needs it

i m not sure what influence rol had...it was success but influence i dont see. more influence was made by coadf leotard or cowboys from Music album on fashion then rol music did influenced other pop music. electronic music already was part of mainstream at that time. it was major hit as a surprise that madonna did with her reinvention by sound and visual then anything else (ofcours and quality of production, lyrics and melodies)

Hmmm, I dare say that Ray Of Light may have singlehandedly introduced electronica into the mainstream :)

Guest bluejean

She had several peaks:

85-86

89-91

98-01

05-06.

Lets hope the next one is around the corner. It has been too long.

Yes. Those are the peaks I would have said.

I feel like the biggest was 89-91 but I know some people say it's 85-86.

I guess in actual fact every music project from 1984 to 1991 was huge. 98-01 was also huge but in a very different way.

It was an eight-year-peak... from 1984 to 1991... she was on top... at least musically and commercially... it all started to fall apart in 1992 with Erotica... after that she has never been that successful anymore... she was successful, but not that crazy level she had from 84 to 91... at least in the US... after 1992 she had peaks with Evita, ROL, Confessions...

For me it was the Evita-ROL-Music phase. I wasn't a fan then but she was everywhere. I knew her songs. She's always on MTV. I couldn't choose the TB era because I was too young then. I wasn't into music and TV yet.

It was an eight-year-peak... from 1984 to 1991... she was on top... at least musically and commercially... it all started to fall apart in 1992 with Erotica... after that she has never been that successful anymore... she was successful, but not that crazy level she had from 84 to 91... at least in the US... after 1992 she had peaks with Evita, ROL, Confessions...

Pre-1992 was on a completely different plane than anything after that. It was the closest any female artist has gotten to a Beatlesesque level of fame/ hysteria/adoration before or since. I think that kind of thing can only happen to someone new, young and completely unique to the world. I would also consider 1998-2001 a peak but it wasn't quite the same. It was more about finally showing her respect as an artist/musician. I can't connsider 2005-2006 as a peak because the U.S. just wasn't as into it as the rest of the world. Stupid Americans. :)

i m not sure do i understand question :D or is this a joke on my english?

but lets say i do...

i think next album must have music/coadf impact couse MDNA, HC lost it. (HC was a hit but....)

she needs to jump again everywhere to continue her line....i need it and i think world needs it

I'm not making fun of your English. Nice response.

I would say that even in any point you could call a career low Madonna has managed to keep her ultimate respect within the industry.... and at this point I think she will ALWAYS have the whole icon status! Just my opinion.

I have to say I think one definite "peak" would be the Ray of Light era leading into the hype around Music album