MadonnaNation.com Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Suedehead

WHAT ABOUT: "Take a Bow" at the American Music Awards

^ Madpnna actually has 5 American Music Awards

1985 Favorite Female Pop Rock Artist, beating Lauper, although Lauper beat her for new artist and won other awards that night

1987 Favorite Female Pop Rock Video Artist

1991 Favorite Dance Single for Vogue

2003 International Artist of the Year award

2003 International Artist of the Year award, the AMA had 2 ceremoniea during,2003

^ beginning in 2003, they bumped tge ceremony up from January of every year to November, hebce the 2 2003 ceremonies in January and November that year

Madonna won THE TOP AWARD for International Artiat of the Year at both ceremonies, but didnt even bother to,show up,either time.

The AMA also got rid of their dance categories beginning in 1992, imagine if they woukd have kept them, Madonna would have like 15 AMA wins, inatead of 5.

This Takara commercial is priceless. How can I be puuurrreeee... Also Babyface and that banded collar suit, I forget those were popular for a short while in 95-97.

This performance also caused a bit of a fashion moment, if I remember correctly.

Madonna was the first major celebrity to wear a cheongsam (traditional chinese gown) in a major American event, and immediately after this performance, all the major departmental stores in New York started stocking cheongsams. A few years later, Nicole Kidman and Tea Leoni would start wearing cheongsams on red carpets; Anna Wintour would put Charlize Theron in a black cheongsam on the cover of Vogue in 2004.

They hired Terumi Matthews (from Innocence Lost) to reprise her role as Madonna for Dennis Rodman's TV movie based on his book.

They had her dressed in one of these while "Madonna" and "Dennis" break up in a parking garage. :rotfl:

They hired Terumi Matthews (from Innocence Lost) to reprise her role as Madonna for Dennis Rodman's TV movie based on his book.

They had her dressed in one of these while "Madonna" and "Dennis" break up in a parking garage. :rotfl:

TELL ME MORE TELL ME MORE!!!

tumblr_mysl9tm5o41smcbm7o1_500.gif

LINK!?

:lol: It's from 1998 (Madonna was already in spiritual finger-symbol mode). Wish I could find it but am still going through VHS tapes. If I come across it I'll upload.

Here's the cringe teaser commercial:

I like this performance a lot too. She was definitely nervous but that makes it all the better as it shows she really cares about what she is doing. I agree that she really hits her stride in the bridge and shows a lot of emotion throughout. This is a really hard song to pull off live because it's quite quiet and subtle.

This is a really hard song to pull off live because it's quite quiet and subtle.

Maybe that's why she's never performed TAB on tour? It might just be too difficult to properly sing it for 80+ dates on a tour.

Maybe that's why she's never performed TAB on tour? It might just be too difficult to properly sing it for 80+ dates on a tour.

I think that is why. It doesnt seem to lend itself to a large arena but I could see it done in a smaller intimate setting perfectly for a one - off performance

Maybe that's why she's never performed TAB on tour?

It might just be too difficult to properly sing it for 80+ dates on a tour

She has more difficult songs in her repertoire

I think she chooses songs based on how they fit the narrative of any given tour

Maybe she hasn't found a place for it yet or liked another song more, maybe she will do it in the future who knows

Most of the stuff she's sung on Evita and ROL is far more complex than TAB

I like it when she suddenly has some songs back.l I'm sure that TAB will be back on a tour in the future.

Billboard posted this today

http://www.billboard.com/articles/events/amas/8030023/madonna-babyface-best-american-music-awards-performances-1995

Best American Music Awards Performances No. 8: Madonna and Babyface 'Take a Bow' at 1995 AMAs

11/8/2017 by Caitlin Kelley

madonna-amas-live-1995-billboard-1548.jp

In honor of the 2017 American Music Awards, Billboard is counting down the best performances from the awards show’s history. Here is no. No. 8.

Sometimes the hardest act to follow is yourself. 

Throughout the early to mid-’90s, Madonna leaned into the concept that sex sells. But by the time she doled out the 1992 coffee table book Sex -- complete with nude images of herself -- her sexualized image had reached its peak. At the same time, the shock factor of the Erotica era had lost its impact.

Before rebranding became a thing, the chameleon-like “Material Girl” had a way of reinventing her image. This time, she chose to dial it down on her next album, 1994's Bedtime Stories. The autobiographical elements of her poetic balladry exhibited a newfound vulnerability that felt more revealing than her sexual gimmickry. The album’s second single, “Take a Bow,” ended up becoming Madonna’s longest running No. 1 on the Hot 100 with a seven-week run at the top. 

Two months after that song stormed the charts, Madonna and Babyface delivered their only live performance of the track at the American Music Awards on Jan. 30, 1995. The presence of a live orchestra added a lush texture to the song. Madonna’s distinctive vocal colors were given new life through the prism of Babyface’s R&B-style vocal runs.

Looking at Madonna’s sartorial decision from a 2017 perspective, the cultural appropriation of a white woman wearing a cheongsam (a Chinese dress) might not fly -- but it was not entirely random, as the song's pentatonic strings were intended to evoke Chinese opera. The stage production was relatively barren as Madonna and Babyface stood in place while elevated on their respective pillars.

Babyface previously spoke to Billboard about his appearance onstage with Madonna. "I was nervous as hell,” he said. “But you couldn't actually see my legs shaking under the suit. When we finished, she told me she had never been that nervous before. That was crazy to me -- I was thinking, 'You're Madonna, you're on stage all the time!'"

But the stage fright never showed up on Madonna’s theatrical facial expressions, complementing lyrics like, “You deserve an award for the role that you played.”

Watch the entire performance below.

On 14/10/2014 at 8:54 PM, JWBGSU said:

I think so too! Let's hope it's the next tour!

And it was.

*offer applies on selected dates only

15 hours ago, Hector said:

Alllllllllll the world is a stageeeeeee :grr: 

On 13 October 2014 at 3:01 AM, mtzlplk said:

It was after this performance that shot TAB to stratospheric heights in the charts

You took the words right out of my mouth damn you! I wanted to be the one to point out that this performance propelled the track to number one!!! Lol 👍

:inlove:

I love Madonna so much.

She looked great but the song is a bore. Babyface should have given Red Light Special to M.. sexy track.

On 10/12/2014 at 3:01 PM, mtzlplk said:

It was after this performance that shot TAB to stratospheric heights in the charts

On Casey Kasem's weekly show right after this performance aired he predicted that this performance would send it to #1.

16 minutes ago, Like2Watch said:

She looked great but the song is a bore. Babyface should have given Red Light Special to M.. sexy track.

:britwtf: