New Album thread: Guy O talks rubbish; M&M cover art rumours?

Well, long doesn't mean better. Some of her best, biggest hits were written/recorded very quickly. I actually think more time potentially means overthinking, uncertainty, and lack of clear vision/direction. Hope I'm wrong though. She's obviously committed.

This is it what I'm worried about.

He sounds very good at branding and marketing.

I've always felt M's success is built on a very old fashioned kind of showmanship, wherein she is the brand, the artist, the star, the selling point. A lot of what strikes me as hollow or unsatisfactory about Guy's management, particularly in recent years, is that M is no longer the product, M is another celebrity hawking another product. Whereas before M's fame was self perpetuating, and people knew her because she was famous, loved her because she was an artist, bought her work because she was a star, this continual investment of it into other ventures feels very insincere and cheap to me.

Well said and very true.

I didn't realize MDNA went on for so long? What's the reason it didn't outsell S&S? Less stadiums?

It went on for almost 7 months and had more shows that the 2008 and 2009 legs of S&S combined.

The reason why MDNA didn't outsell S&S, is mainly, that fewer tickets were sold due to oversaturation of most European markets.

For instance, in 2009, Madonna played 2 sold-out shows at Ullevi in Gothenburg, Sweden, selling 120,000 tickets. In 2012, she did only one show at the same venue, managing to sell only 36,000 tickets.

Similarly, at the Parken Stadium in Copenhagen, she sold 48,000 tickets in 2009, but only 29,000 tickets in 2012.

I don't think it had to do with over saturated markets but more with the universal economic crisis...same thing happened in South America(Argentina Brazil, Chile), it was the second time M played in those countries in 17 years...so i woulsn't blame it on saturated markets

Money is not an issue for northern Europeans. It's just that she had never visited places like Sweden, Finland, Norway etc.. Plus, Confessions on a Dancefloor was so massive in Europe that it had built extraordinary momentum that easily lasted until 2009. In 2012 and 2015 you couldn't and can't just rely on your name and on the Confessions momentum anymore.

MDNA was like it didn't even exist. This new album HAS to be successful if she wants to make a lot of money in Europe again.

Saturation is inevitable though. She tours very often now. It is OK if she plays in arenas and not stadiums. She can't make almost half a billion every time like she did with Sticky.

BTW, if memory serves right S&S had 88 shows versus MDNA's 89...but she took a long break in 2008/2009...

I don't think she'll repeat MDNA's schedule next time...

I think she'll do 2 legs with 2 or 3 months apart...

It went on for almost 7 months and had more shows that the 2008 and 2009 legs of S&S combined.

The reason why MDNA didn't outsell S&S, is mainly, that fewer tickets were sold due to oversaturation of most European markets.

For instance, in 2009, Madonna played 2 sold-out shows at Ullevi in Gothenburg, Sweden, selling 120,000 tickets. In 2012, she did only one show at the same venue, managing to sell only 36,000 tickets.

Similarly, at the Parken Stadium in Copenhagen, she sold 48,000 tickets in 2009, but only 29,000 tickets in 2012.

The Decay.

mmm....more shows in longer time period only....i adored CT couse it was in arenas and each show (thx to Stuart also) was very atmospheric and intimate in a way...there s no point of doing shows like crazy and be tired and/or sick....she needs to be carefull also with her health....she needs to hunt quality instead quantity and by quality i dont mean new money earning record. she can brake records with Greatest Hits tours in the future. but if she wants to promote an album then hunt nice presentation.

hbz-alexander-wang-Diplo-lg.jpg

- diplo @ ALEXANDER WANG X H&M LAUNCH PARTY (NYC)

- the same shirt as in the studio, so before or after partying???

He sounds very good at branding and marketing.

I've always felt M's success is built on a very old fashioned kind of showmanship, wherein she is the brand, the artist, the star, the selling point. A lot of what strikes me as hollow or unsatisfactory about Guy's management, particularly in recent years, is that M is no longer the product, M is another celebrity hawking another product. Whereas before M's fame was self perpetuating, and people knew her because she was famous, loved her because she was an artist, bought her work because she was a star, this continual investment of it into other ventures feels very insincere and cheap to me.

This is exactly how I feel, as well.

I've always thought he is a great business manager for her, but for the creative and artist side, not so much.

It's like he never got the memo that the Material Girl was tongue in cheek.

I know ultimately the decisions are Madonna's. It's not all Guy Oseary, and she trusts his judgement, but it does seem all about commerce first, art second with him.

maybe he's going to make 'selling out' cool. because if the record label isnt making any money, then they'd have to go to sponsors, who in return would give em money upfront, and have exclusive rights to the music and sell the album as well.

oh god, still looking for a producer!??!?! wtf. obviously diplo isnt working out either cuz he's too fuckin lazy. avvicii got sick. like if the songs r all fuckin done - then there ya go - u dont need no producer.

Madonna is looking for a new producer for her album:

http://www.madonnarama.com/posts-en/2014/10/17/madonna-is-still-looking-for-a-new-producer-for-her-upcoming-album/

I guess we'll have her new single in 2015.

WOW now this does surprise me considering Madonna has been recording all year with Avicci, Diplo and working with many other mixers and songwriters.

I know I annoyed a lot of people by my prediction we wouldn't get anything until 2015 (forgive me, I have sinned) but even I AM SURPRISED that there looking for a new producer!?!

Yet Diplo said the first single is done?

Sounds like theres a lot more recording to be done....

Dare I even say it (yes I'll get killed EVEN more) the album might be out next summer and not spring!?!

I just don't understand. Forgive me if this sounds melodramatic or pessimistic, but I think we've officially crossed the line into Trouble. I'm starting to feel like this album could be a hot mess. If she doesn't like the direction the music has taken and is looking for a new producer, fine, that's unfortunate and odd, but if that's the case, why does she need her manager to hire a "consultant" to help them "find" a new producer? Is Madonna so unplugged from music that she can't think of someone she likes and wants to work with? Just find one person you like, lock yourself in a room for a few weeks and be done with it. Whatever happened to "I liked Bjork's album and wanted to work with Nellee" or "Stuart was my tour musical director so I decided to do an album with him" or "William Orbit did remixes for me and now I'm doing a whole album with him"? The only thing I can think is that she actually does still care about album sales/radio and Guy/Interscope/whoever is telling her she doesn't have a "hit." It all sounds like bad news if you ask me. Sorry.