New Album thread: Guy O talks rubbish; M&M cover art rumours?

Rebel Heart

Living For Love

Unapologetic Bitch

Wash All Over Me

Messiah

Joan Of Arc

Bitch I'm Madonna

Iconic

Holy Water

Inside Out

Veni Vidi Vici

Heartbreak City

Two Steps Behind

Addicted

Illuminati

Body Shop

Autotune Baby

Devil Prays

Beautiful Scars

S.E.X.

Trust No Bitch

Score

Borrowed Time

Hold Tight

oh i m so excited when i reed this

:tigger: :tigger: :tigger:

Guest CzarnaWisnia

i think if it was published in post bush era it would be a bigger hit...

but since it was to early...in a time where bush administracy, pro war propaganda and burst of usa patriotism was on its peak it was impossible to push it comercialy more than it was....

I disagree completely. It was not impossible to push it commercially more successfully. The album is not political yet she insisted on presenting it that way, thus what happened. She could have chosen another angle to publish the album and talk about it, with a different single too. It was her choice, she wanted to be controversial, people weren't on board with the single, it didn't take.

i think if it was published in post bush era it would be a bigger hit...

but since it was to early...in a time where bush administracy, pro war propaganda and burst of usa patriotism was on its peak it was impossible to push it comercialy more than it was....

uk was under blair....bush num 2

AL has real quality of conceptual artistic pop album.

it is underrated by fans, by critics and media.

i would dare to say that itsher rol numb 2. and in some things even better. as it sounds still fresh and its sound it equal then and now....orbit cant match with mirwais. rol was really good but it sounds like 90' album. that is orbit failure.

See I really think that her speaking up about the war hurt the album and even the single a lot more. Unfortunately AL arrived at a really bad time, and given that it didn't resonate with the public as well as RoL & Music did, it was largely dismissed by many fans too.

I was just listening to Intervention. What an incredible track! :)

All one has to do is LISTEN to AL and the mystery as to why it didn't connect should be solved. Whether you like or dislike the song, agree or disagree about video being pulled, find the rap hilarious or cringe, I just don't see how anyone could hear that song and think it's a guaranteed hit and then be surprised that it wasn't. I mean.......LISTEN TO IT for goodness sakes lol. It is NOT an easy song to digest for even some of her most diehard fans. Blacklisted or not, that song was never going to do much Stateside.

The first time I listen to a Madonna album I can normally tell what songs could be potential future singles. After listening to AL album, there were no songs that sounded like surefire singles to me. Not one. If I were forced to pick one I would've said Hollywood, but even that was stretching it a bit. While it had an easy chorus to sing along with, it just didn't have that "oomph" factor that a single should have, something was missing to put it over into that "mass appeal" category. While understandable, I think Madonna fans sometimes mistake what they like and what actually has mass appeal. Nothing on AL does. Period. That doesn't make it a bad album either.

All one has to do is LISTEN to AL and the mystery as to why it didn't connect should be solved. Whether you like or dislike the song, agree or disagree about video being pulled, find the rap hilarious or cringe, I just don't see how anyone could hear that song and think it's a guaranteed hit and then be surprised that it wasn't. I mean.......LISTEN TO IT for goodness sakes lol. It is NOT an easy song to digest for even some of her most diehard fans. Blacklisted or not, that song was never going to do much Stateside.

You can say exactly the same about MUSIC or about FROZEN or about DAD. You have no point.

No risk, no glory. She took a chance and missed it. That's it. Nothing else to add.

Anyone saying AL the album is bad, is deaf and/or dumb and/or has bad taste

AL did well here. It didn't bomb at all. Especially when you look at the WW stats

I'm primarily talking about US. I agree, overall, worldwide it isn't 100% accurate to call AL a "flop". Selling 4-5 million copies of an album is far from being a flop. I feel like AL is to the U.S. what MDNA is to the UK. I also wouldn't call MDNA a worldwide flop, but there is no denying it underperformed in the UK. In the US, AL was the first time Madonna was totally ignored on radio and also consider that during its run, it only sold about 100-150k more than MDNA would 9 years later. If Madonnas upcoming album sells 600-700k in the States, that will actually be a decent sized success. Those same figures back in 2003 though?? Not so much.

You can say exactly the same about MUSIC or about FROZEN or about DAD. You have no point.

No risk, no glory. She took a chance and missed it. That's it. Nothing else to add.

Anyone saying AL the album is bad, is deaf and/or dumb and/or has bad taste

I didn't say it was bad, I said it wasn't as digestible for the general public. Its true that Frozen, Music and DAD were all risks as well but I think all of those songs are easier to relate to thematically for the general public than AL. This is why Madonna fans should never have a say on her single choices. You people would have her leading off AL with XStatic Process and MDNA with Falling Free and SWEAR they are huge hits. Gorgeous songs, but Top 40/lead single material they are not. Again, doesn't mean they are bad but the purpose of a single is to try to appeal to the masses.

I didn't say it was bad, I said it wasn't as digestible for the general public. Its true that Frozen, Music and DAD were all risks as well but I think all of those songs are easier to relate to thematically for the general public than AL. This is why Madonna fans should never have a say on her single choices. You people would have her leading off AL with XStatic Process and MDNA with Falling Free and SWEAR they are huge hits. Gorgeous songs, but Top 40/lead single material they are not. Again, doesn't mean they are bad but the purpose of a single is to try to appeal to the masses.

Agreed. Good song ≠ Hit single (all the time).

Enough with AL already.

We have this discussion since 2000. There's nothing more to say.

I don't recall talking about AL in 2000. So the rest of us have at least three more years worth of discussion to catch up.

The first time I listen to a Madonna album I can normally tell what songs could be potential future singles. After listening to AL album, there were no songs that sounded like surefire singles to me. Not one. If I were forced to pick one I would've said Hollywood, but even that was stretching it a bit. While it had an easy chorus to sing along with, it just didn't have that "oomph" factor that a single should have, something was missing to put it over into that "mass appeal" category. While understandable, I think Madonna fans sometimes mistake what they like and what actually has mass appeal. Nothing on AL does. Period. That doesn't make it a bad album either.

Agreed. I think "Hollywood" and "Nothing Fails" were the most likely to be hits. But AL, there was really no chance.

THANK YOU!

You're the voice of reason. AL failed on its own merit. Failing on the charts is not indicative of a bad song, it just wan't single material (aka smaller commercial appeal). Now GI2M's total shut out in America was unjustified especially when it's version 2 spent months in the #1 spot a few years later.

The beauty of AL is just in the overall message itself.

An album that pretty much condemns what is materialist and commercial failed to have commercial success. And personally i'm happy with the results.. listening to AL is like getting lost in the middle of a crossroad.. there's no sure path to take but one thing is for sure any path will lead you somewhere.. and Madonna chose the path of Love.

American Life is definitely her most introspective album to date and beginning with the lines "Do I have to change my name?" uttered by the most famous woman on the planet and finishing with "I am home" does show the journey of an individual who was indeed full of questions and in dire need of answers and explanations but ends up realizing only love will matter in the end and once you know that you won't need to ask anymore.

What was truly problematic for AL was the war controversy. The album is far from political but it was kind of promoted as an anti war album.. Surely if you believe in Love you wouldn't want to go war but the point is once the video controversy is removed the album just stands as a true masterpiece. It's just a special album and if people can't or don't want to get it it's their prerogative but the lack of its commercial success validates the core of the album theme even more in my humble opinion.

I don't recall talking about AL in 2000. So the rest of us have at least three more years worth of discussion to catch up.

Agreed. I think "Hollywood" and "Nothing Fails" were the most likely to be hits. But AL, there was really no chance.

It's called irony.

Natalia Kills Talks Working With Madonna, New Music In ‘Paper Magazine’

http://www.idolator.com/7566731/natalia-kills-madonna-new-music-in-paper-magazine

Natalia Kills may be a real problem, but not if you ask her newest BFF, Madonna.

In a new story for Paper Magazine, the Trouble dark-pop princess revealed how the Queen Of Pop first tapped the songstress to hop into the studio for the MDNA follow-up, as well as providing some insight into their studio time together — and Madge’s studio demeanor. “She writes incredible lyrics, sings beautiful melodies, but most of all she is so fucking funny,” Kills told the magazine.

Natalia also revealed that together they, along with Cherrytree Records label head Martin Kierszenbaum, wrote 8 songs in just one week. That’s some serious musical chemistry! And, surprisingly, she’s got a troupe of dancers to thank for being involved in the upcoming project. “Madonna’s dancers play my music during her rehearsals and workouts every week,” she revealed. And now we know where Madonna gets her inspiration.

Not that Madge’s project is the only thing Kills is working on the moment: She’s got her own tunes coming down the pipeline soon! “I’m really excited for my new music. It’s funny, but cowriting songs for world-renowned pop stars has allowed me to be more obscure and inappropriate with my own sound,” she explained, while refusing to give away too many details about her latest solo sounds. “It’s coming out all this year…all really soon, really really soon, wink wink, very very soon.”

What a tease. To quote her very famous friend: Time goes by…so slowly!

Are you excited for new Natalia — and new Madonna? Sound off in the comments below.

your taste sucks..you can't tell shit.

Nothing Fails screams for no.1 position on the charts.

The beauty of AL is just in the overall message itself.

An album that pretty much condemns what is materialist and commercial failed to have commercial success. And personally i'm happy with the results.. listening to AL is like getting lost in the middle of a crossroad.. there's no sure path to take but one thing is for sure any path will lead you somewhere.. and Madonna chose the path of Love.

American Life is definitely her most introspective album to date and beginning with the lines "Do I have to change my name?" uttered by the most famous woman on the planet and finishing with "I am home" does show the journey of an individual who was indeed full of questions and in dire need of answers and explanations but ends up realizing only love will matter in the end and once you know that you won't need to ask anymore.

What was truly problematic for AL was the war controversy. The album is far from political but it was kind of promoted as an anti war album.. Surely if you believe in Love you wouldn't want to go war but the point is once the video controversy is removed the album just stands as a true masterpiece. It's just a special album and if people can't or don't want to get it it's their prerogative but the lack of its commercial success validates the core of the album theme even more in my humble opinion.

i love this personal review of an album that has been truly misunderstood. My only wish is that the new album is an extension and bravely introspective as AL.

your taste sucks..you can't tell shit.

Nothing Fails screams for no.1 position on the charts.

lol_anchorman.gif

This post screams delusional.

Quality is not equal to no. 1 position on the charts.

lets-get-real-for-moment.gif