What does each Madonna album mean to you?

mnino

After someone suggested that "Waiting" was a filler track on Erotica, I went on the defense and stated that the song pretty much captures the essence of that album. That led me to wonder what other tracks I personally find to be the best representation of each album. Of course, this is a question of interpretation and what each record means to each individual so.....

1. What does each Madonna album mean to you?

2. What do you interpret as being her overall message in these albums?

3. What song better encompasses what you think she was trying to convey in each album?

Guest bluejean

Well...

I don't think 2 or 3 apply because I don't think her albums have an overall message that she's trying to convey. I think she just writes a bunch of songs that convey what she's feeling and then puts them all together and calls it an album. There are often reoccurring themes which are a reflection on where she's currently at at that time in her life eg. Ray of Light was her soul searching, American Life was her questioning fame etc.

She also gets influenced by the people's she's working with.

Well...

I don't think 2 or 3 apply because I don't think her albums have an overall message that she's trying to convey. I think she just writes a bunch of songs that convey what she's feeling and then puts them all together and calls it an album. There are often reoccurring themes which are a reflection on where she's currently at at that time in her life eg. Ray of Light was her soul searching, American Life was her questioning fame etc.

She also gets influenced by the people's she's working with.

Interesting.

I do believe that for the most part she has had an overall message.

BS was: I will never be an angel and I am still searching for love. I am a survivor and I am not sorry for being sexual. Happiness lies in my own hands.

LAP was: I am not a pop tart, My mother's death, my father, my religious upbringing, my siblings and my ex-husband have shaped the artist I am today. I am not afraid.

ROL was: I am a mother now and I have found a new meaning in life.

Am I the only one that thinks that?

Madonna/The First Album:

To me, her first album remains one of her most perfect albums. The songs aren't too meaningful but they're pure Madonna. They capture her whole persona, her essence like no other songs do, in my opinion. This album is essential.

Overall Message/Key Songs: "Dance and sing, get up and do your thing." - A girl who does her own thing and ambitiously tries to achieve her dreams. She's a boytoy, but at the same time very independent and doesn't let a man get in the way of her dreams.

Everybody / Borderline / Lucky Star are the key songs. They encompass the overall theme of the album the best.

Like a Virgin:

I think this album is a direct continuation of her debut and somehow more of an addition/afterthought.

Overall Message/Key Songs:

"I made it through the wilderness...Didn't know how lost I was until I found you...You make me feel shiny and new" - I think the theme can be applied to both, fame and fortune as well as a guy and that is something you can find on a lot of Madonna songs, Substitute for Love, in particular. The title song obviously, is very tongue in cheek with Madonna, the artist. The name Madonna alone is something most people apply something holy with, but she really isn't a saint although this new way of living (Material World) might make her feel "shiny and new". But in the end, love is what really makes you "feel good inside" rather than money.

Like a Virgin / Angel / Dress You Up - The album is about newly found innocence through love and has a very naive and ironic way of looking at more mature themes such as sex, religious themes and fame/fortune.

True Blue

This album is all about love and everything that comes with it. Dangerous love, true love, troubled/teen love, unrequited love...Every song, except for Jimmy Jimmy and Where's the Party contributes something to this theme. I think you can really tell that she was in love at the time she wrote the album.

Open Your Heart / True Blue / Papa Don't Preach / Live to Tell - Love can really make you blind sometimes. It can lift you up but it can also bring you down.

Like a Prayer

This album was her first really mature album. She touched a lot of really personal themes and again, every song on it is like a puzzle piece that adds substance to theme of the album.

Overall Message/Key Songs: "Life is a mystery, everyone must stand alone...and it feels like home" / "You can't hurt me now...I got away from you, I never felt so good about myself" / "Express yourself, so you can respect yourself!"

I think the overall theme is gaining maturity and independence by letting go of the past and painful memories while cherishing the good things in life such as the family and your home.

Like a Prayer / Oh Father / Express Yourself - These three songs all represent the theme mentioned above. Like a Prayer is the ultimate redemption song, while in Oh Father she gains independence over every form of male authority (God, husband, father). Express Yourself can be interpreted in a very feminist way but i see it more as a song about self-acceptance and bravery.

Erotica

Sexual freedom, introspective and sensuality. I think that's mainly what Erotica is about. It's not ONLY about sex but more about talking about your deepest desires and darkest fantasies, daring to be controversial and being okay with not fitting in.

Erotica / Deeper and Deeper / Bad Girl / Secret Garden - The album is actually quite self-reflective too, especially Secret Garden and Bad Girl. "I'm not happy when I act this way" / "Where my place is, where my face is". It's all about sexual exploration and finally finding your inner truth and maybe yourself while being lost in this world full of boundaries and judgement.

Bedtime Stories

Theme-wise Bedtime Stories is quite similar to Erotica but it's much softer and less "in your face" than Erotica. It's more subconscious.

"Express Yourself, don't repress yourself" / "Until I learnt to love myself, I as never ever loving anybody else." / "Happiness lies in your own hands." / "Words are useless...how could they explain how I feel?" / "Traveling, traveling, leaving logic and reason...in the arms of unconsciousness." These quotes pretty much give it away, already. The album is pretty much about the boundaries of our society and how she (Madonna) is trying to let go of it, trying to find her own way and her place in life. After Erotica she became extremely vulnerable and you can tell she was while listening to BS.

Human Nature / Bedtime Story / Secret - These songs represent the beginning of her spritual journey that was about start. All three of them are intimate but also quite direct and carry a strong message.

...more to follow.

Madonna- I just want to make good pop music.

Like A Virgin- I have style. I also don't want to be put in a box, I'm not a virgin or a whore!

True Blue- I can mature my sound but music can be fun too!

Like A Prayer- Pop can be art, it doesn't have to be a piece of trash.

Erotica- Why do women reject or judge other women who are more sexual than them? You can smart and sexual at the same time.

Bedtime Stories- I have a vulnerable side, I'm not just aggressive and rough all the time. I have mistakes and insecurities just like everyone! But I'm not going to apologize for your lies and hypocrisies.

Ray of Light- I like to be innovative and inventive!

Music- I have grown but I still have my wild side in me.

American Life- Material things don't make you happy!

Confessions On A Dancefloor- Sometimes simplicity is the best thing.

Hard Candy- I'm 50 and I just want to have fun.

MDNA- I'm out for vengeance!

That was a very descriptive piece Jimmy Jimmy. I'm looking forward to the rest.

madgemusic85, I really like your Erotica and BS descriptions. Do you think that any particular song could represent each of these albums by itself?

All of her albums mean a lot to me. This is very hard to do but here goes with firstly her earlier albums.

Madonna - Dance album done Madonna's way. Her message was one of standing up for what you believe in. She had been pressured to do a rock album in the past but stuck to the vision she wanted for her debut.

Like a Virgin - How to become a pop superstar so effortlessly. I know a lot of people think this album is "bubblegum" and full of fillers, but I never agree. This is as near to a perfect pop album that you could wish for. Made Madonna the superstar she deserved to be and is a timeless pop classic album.

True Blue - Sixties style melodies with contrasting themes. True Blue is also an under-rated album. The singles released were sublime and some songs were full of sixties style vocals, harmonies and melodies. Live to tell was a stand out that is still as haunting as ever. Another wonderful pop album with Madonna going for a different sound.

Like a Prayer - personal and amazing album. This album was full of such personal details and had wonderful messages. Express yourself was an anthem, there were heart-breaking songs about her mother's death, pain, neglect and the ending of a violent marriage. The title song was spiritual, epic and an instant classic for all time.

I'm Breathless - The torch album. Madonna showing her diversity and uniqueness. She easily proved she could tackle different styles of music with ease. Plus also including another timeless classic like no other in Vogue.

Erotica - the sex album. Madonna exploring sexuality and all from a women's perspective. Gritty, raw and scorching. Such a brave and risky album to make.

Bedtime stories - the softer sex album. I always consider Bedtime stories to be more of a sensual and dreamy version of sexuality with lots of sadness throughout as well. The song Survival had lyrics that sums up Madonna perfectly.

Ray of Light - the Spiritual album. Madonna's take on spirituality, love, becoming a mother and understanding fame. Such a beautiful and different album.

That will do for now.

I don't agree with Bluejean, i do think that each Madonna has a certain message, it shows what she's feeling at the moment.

First album: Everybody. Let's join together to celebrate music, dance, rhythym and feel free about it.

- Key song: Everybody.

LAV: this is the only album that has so many tracks given to her to build her career that is more difficult, but Into The Groove keeps on given the message above. That was what she was feeling.

- Key song: Into The Groove / LAV

True Blue: She was in love. She wanted to show it.

- Key song: Open Your Heart.

LAP: she was beginning to crack. Her marriage didn't work, she felt alone. She wanted to belong... home.

- Key song: - Like a Prayer, Keep It Together.

Erotica: she used sex as escapism. AS a way to provoke, to fight her demons.

- Key song: - Why's it so hard / Secret Garden.

BS: she felt sad and lonely. She wanted to love.

- Key song: Secret.

ROL: she felt more complete than ever and she began a new path.

- Key song: Swim.

Music: she felt happy. Simply happy and confident.

- Key song: Music, Don't Tell Me.

AL: she had her feelings satisfied and stopped being so self absorbed. She started looking at the world, and the effect that society has on us.

- Key song: Nobody Knows Me/ American Life.

Confessions: she wanted to have fun, she was a mother, but wanted to enjoy THE TOUR and make people dance.

- Key song: Hung Up

HC: the same. She wanted to enjoy herself, but reality knocked. Her marriage was failing.

- Key song: Miles Away

MDNA: she looked at herself and knew that had come full circle. Time to start again.

- Key song: I'm a Sinner.

All of her albums mean a lot to me. This is very hard to do but here goes with firstly her earlier albums.

Madonna - Dance album done Madonna's way. Her message was one of standing up for what you believe in. She had been pressured to do a rock album in the past but stuck to the vision she wanted for her debut.

Like a Virgin - How to become a pop superstar so effortlessly. I know a lot of people think this album is "bubblegum" and full of fillers, but I never agree. This is as near to a perfect pop album that you could wish for. Made Madonna the superstar she deserved to be and is a timeless pop classic album.

True Blue - Sixties style melodies with contrasting themes. True Blue is also an under-rated album. The singles released were sublime and some songs were full of sixties style vocals, harmonies and melodies. Live to tell was a stand out that is still as haunting as ever. Another wonderful pop album with Madonna going for a different sound.

Like a Prayer - personal and amazing album. This album was full of such personal details and had wonderful messages. Express yourself was an anthem, there were heart-breaking songs about her mother's death, pain, neglect and the ending of a violent marriage. The title song was spiritual, epic and an instant classic for all time.

I'm Breathless - The torch album. Madonna showing her diversity and uniqueness. She easily proved she could tackle different styles of music with ease. Plus also including another timeless classic like no other in Vogue.

Erotica - the sex album. Madonna exploring sexuality and all from a women's perspective. Gritty, raw and scorching. Such a brave and risky album to make.

Bedtime stories - the softer sex album. I always consider Bedtime stories to be more of a sensual and dreamy version of sexuality with lots of sadness throughout as well. The song Survival had lyrics that sums up Madonna perfectly.

Ray of Light - the Spiritual album. Madonna's take on spirituality, love, becoming a mother and understanding fame. Such a beautiful and different album.

That will do for now.

Thanks for the explanations, Jazz. I love reading other people's take on her albums and I'm looking forward to read what you think of the newer albums!

I don't agree with Bluejean, i do think that each Madonna has a certain message, it shows what she's feeling at the moment.

First album: Everybody. Let's join together to celebrate music, dance, rhythym and feel free about it.

- Key song: Everybody.

LAV: this is the only album that has so many tracks given to her to build her career that is more difficult, but Into The Groove keeps on given the message above. That was what she was feeling.

- Key song: Into The Groove / LAV

True Blue: She was in love. She wanted to show it.

- Key song: Open Your Heart.

LAP: she was beginning to crack. Her marriage didn't work, she felt alone. She wanted to belong... home.

- Key song: - Like a Prayer, Keep It Together.

Erotica: she used sex as escapism. AS a way to provoke, to fight her demons.

- Key song: - Why's it so hard / Secret Garden.

BS: she felt sad and lonely. She wanted to love.

- Key song: Secret.

ROL: she felt more complete than ever and she began a new path.

- Key song: Swim.

Music: she felt happy. Simply happy and confident.

- Key song: Music, Don't Tell Me.

AL: she had her feelings satisfied and stopped being so self absorbed. She started looking at the world, and the effect that society has on us.

- Key song: Nobody Knows Me/ American Life.

Confessions: she wanted to have fun, she was a mother, but wanted to enjoy THE TOUR and make people dance.

- Key song: Hung Up

HC: the same. She wanted to enjoy herself, but reality knocked. Her marriage was failing.

- Key song: Miles Away

MDNA: she looked at herself and knew that had come full circle. Time to start again.

- Key song: I'm a Sinner.

I love how you pieced every album as chapter in her story. I almost agree with all of them except COADF and HC. I think there was more to them then enjoying herself but your insight is very to the point.