Madonna's role in history of electronic music?

SOS

Prodigy, Fatboy Slim, Chemical Brothers, all very popular in the US..., in 1997. Madonna came right on time, but I wouldn't say she brought it the forefront. It certainly wasn't used by any commercial artists at the time, but lets face it, it was leaving the scene once 1999 came around. She made the right decision of working with Mirwais.

And I'm sorry but I have to laugh my ass off to anyone who thinks Bjork is even remotely at the level of being a worldwide massive success of a mainstream artist who is known by all and seen by all. She's basically an oddity.... A has been. A very small blip in the history of pop culture.... And Madtv? Really???! It's like the generic younger 4th cousin of SNL from wAaaaaaay back in the day!

NEXT

Bjork WAS a mainstream act in the 90's though. Just because she wasn't a superstar doesn't take away the fact that she helped bring electronic music to the mass. Not trying to shade the Queen, but Bjork's records in the mid 90's managed to sell close to 5 million copies worldwide, which wasn't that far off from Madonna's sales at the time. Bjork, along with a bunch of electronic artists that were brought up in this thread, sparked public interest in electronic music. Madonna just happened to capture the brewing trend and became the first female pop star with a successful electronic record. And guess what? Fast forward one year and you see pop stars releasing bubble-gum pop music and dominating the world.

Madonna started this path mostly with Vogue.Then the remixes and all number ones in dance club charts were evidence. If you look back at the beginnig of the 90's, the eurodance was hitting the top charts wordwide and it took not too long to Madonna make her moves. Junior Vasquez, Club 69, and other DJ's and producers helped her to climb it higher too.

Guest bluejean

Madonna started this path mostly with Vogue.Then the remixes and all number ones in dance club charts were evidence. If you look back at the beginnig of the 90's, the eurodance was hitting the top charts wordwide and it took not too long to Madonna make her moves. Junior Vasquez, Club 69, and other DJ's and producers helped her to climb it higher too.

Nope. That is house music and it existed and was in the mainstream before Madonna did it. Ride on Time by Black Box was the biggest selling song in the UK in 1989. Of course Vogue was equally as massive but it did come later.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_music

I don't mean to discredit Madonna in anyway but in my opinion her brilliance isnt so much in setting trends but in changing with the times. A lot of pop artists try to do that but it doesn't work because they're not versatile the way Madonna is. And they're not on the pulse of it.

And unlike others Madonna has never tried to recapture her glory days. She's always inspired by what is current. I think it works because it's usually a genuine inspiration more than a calculated move. She clearly gets into the latest sound and what's fresh in music.

Nope. That is house music and it existed and was in the mainstream before Madonna did it. Ride on Time by Black Box was the biggest selling song in the UK in 1989. Of course Vogue was equally as massive but it did come later.

I don't mean to discredit Madonna in anyway but in my opinion her brilliance isnt so much in setting trends but in changing with the times. A lot of pop artists try to do that but it doesn't work because they're not versatile the way Madonna is. And they're not on the pulse of it.

And unlike others Madonna has never tried to recapture her glory days. She's always inspired by what is current. I think it works because it's usually a genuine inspiration more than a calculated move. She clearly gets into the latest sound and what's fresh in music.

What I meant is that she had this feeling to approach to electronic music at this time when she recorded Vogue. William produced remixes for JML. Curiosity : All the lead vocals of the singles by Black Box are from Martha Wash! That girl on the video is a model! Like happened to various other eurodance groups, like Technotronic (I think they opened Blond Ambition concerts) and Corona.

Speaking of changing with time, I believe she stopped renewing her looks and profile in 2005 with COADF. Then she turned the same blond sexy powerful woman for the past 9 years.

Guest bluejean

What I meant is that she had this feeling to approach to electronic music at this time when she recorded Vogue. William produced remixes for JML. Curiosity : All the lead vocals of the singles by Black Box are from Martha Wash! That girl on the video is a model! Like happened to various other eurodance groups, like Technotronic (I think they opened Blond Ambition concerts) and Corona.

Well since it's before my time I only found this out recently but it's an interesting story.

"The song sampled Loleatta Holloway's 1980 disco hit "Love Sensation" and attracted some controversy for the uncredited use of Holloway's vocals from that song. Holloway's counsel engaged in a press attack on Black Box, successfully securing a settlement that paid the singer an undisclosed sum; the group had legally cleared the samples with Salsoul Records, who had released the original track, but Holloway was in arrears for advances from the label and thus was not recompensed by Salsoul.

A re-recording of the song with uncredited vocals by Heather Small was released as "Ride on Time (remix)" (later released as "massive mix") in the second week of September 1989, and the original Holloway version was discontinued from distribution."

FYI Heather Small went on to become the lead singer of M People!

Martha Wash (Weather Girls singer famous for the song 'It's Raining Men') sang on the follow up singles as a "session singer" for a small fee and was not listed on the releases and did not receive performance royalties. She eventually sued and won.

She also sang on that C&C Music Factory hit 'Gonna Make You Sweat.' Same deal.

"The rap was performed by Freedom Williams and the vocal "Everybody Dance Now" by disco/house music artist Martha Wash.

The official music video features Zelma Davis lip-synching to the actual Martha Wash vocal parts.

Wash, perturbed by the fact that her image had been labeled "unmarketable" due to her weight, successfully sued to receive proper credit (and royalties). Wash's courtroom efforts spurred legislation making vocal credits mandatory on CDs and music videos."

I know that's not Madonna related but I just found it interesting!

When i found this I got shocked! Also about Corona (the vocals are from Giovanna Bersola, who sang The Rhythm of The Night, and Sandy Chambers and the rest is Sandy Chambers !

So basically you're saying Madonna never set any trends but is good at jumping into bandwagons and be successful with it? Ok, that's not discrediting her at all...

Guest bluejean

Pretty much. But I don't like the description "jumping on bandwagons."

I think Madonna is a trendsetter but not in the way you want to believe she is. Electronic music and house music were popular before Madonna did them. I don't know why that's so hard to believe?

Pretty much. But I don't like the description "jumping on bandwagons."

I think Madonna is a trendsetter but not in the way you want to believe she is. Electronic music and house music were popular before Madonna did them. I don't know why that's so hard to believe?

You don't like the description but that's basically what you're saying, only with different words. For you Madonna doesn't have any originality and only do what others people are doing. That's what her haters have been saying for years.

I know Madonna didn't created electronic music or anything like that. But saying she didn't played a role in popularizing it is ridiculous.

It's really hilarious to see how even Madonna's own fans are constantly discrediting her. Is it really THAT hard to give the woman some credit?

Guest bluejean

What you're saying is YOUR interpretation of things I've said, not what I've actually said.

Where did I say "Madonna doesn't have any originality." Quote it. You can't though. Because you just made it up.

Maybe in USA she seems more like a pioneer, but in Europe is different. Bjork was MASSIVE in Europe. Pet Shop Boys had been releasing their albums through the 90s, and there were Massive Attack (they had this big hit with Teardrop) or Fat Boy Slim. Chemical Brothes, Prodigy...

Madonna DIDN'T popularized that kind of music in Europe. Maybe in USA, though. But she DIDN'T jump any bandwagon either.

You don't like the description but that's basically what you're saying, only with different words. For you Madonna doesn't have any originality and only do what others people are doing. That's what her haters have been saying for years.

I know Madonna didn't created electronic music or anything like that. But saying she didn't played a role in popularizing it is ridiculous.

It's really hilarious to see how even Madonna's own fans are constantly discrediting her. Is it really THAT hard to give the woman some credit?

And giving others in the 90's credit when the music existed before them as well. Artists are inspired by others and music evolves.

This is what I don't get: He and others can not accept that Madonna reaches more people than other artists they like. Instead of including Madonna they get defensive. She deserves to be included in what she brings to the popularity of music. How can they not see that and be a fan? No one knows why each individual is a fan but some things just don't add up.

Maybe in USA she seems more like a pioneer, but in Europe is different. Bjork was MASSIVE in Europe. Pet Shop Boys had been releasing their albums through the 90s, and there were Massive Attack (they had this big hit with Teardrop) or Fat Boy Slim. Chemical Brothes, Prodigy...

Madonna DIDN'T popularized that kind of music in Europe. Maybe in USA, though. But she DIDN'T jump any bandwagon either.

And as like Europeans like to say America is not the world but neither is Europe, (which I love even though I have never been there.)

Of course, but I think that Madonna was heavily inspired in Eurpean trends in the late 90s and early 00s. At first with the British trends, and later with the French ones (with Mirwais). French techno was popular before Music came out, with people like Daft Punk.

But she was so creative and worked so good with Orbit and Mirwais that she created her own style and in fact Orbit's sounds became really trendy afterwards.

Ok. Been a few days, but I took some time to research this topic. I listened to a lot of the other artists you guys mentioned and read news clips and other information from the 90s. Of which I was well into the age of being able to understand pop culture myself. So some of you young'uns tryng to tell ME who was actually alive at that time how it went down just GET OUT. :) but I did the research and yea, some of those artists were technically "electronic". But quite frankly their music sounded NOTHING like ROL. Nothing I fiund even came class to matching the type of electronic dance/mysticism/spiritual/and at times club sound of ROL. Sorry. ROL was a unique sound, was definitley a departure from the mainstream norm, and ushered in a brand new, more electronic, more dance oriented era of pop music. THE END. CASE CLOSED. No need for further discussion

Guest bluejean

And giving others in the 90's credit when the music existed before them as well. Artists are inspired by others and music evolves.

This is what I don't get: He and others can not accept that Madonna reaches more people than other artists they like. Instead of including Madonna they get defensive. She deserves to be included in what she brings to the popularity of music. How can they not see that and be a fan? No one knows why each individual is a fan but some things just don't add up.

What are you even talking about?

What I don't get is why people twist my words and then suddenly someone else (you) is referring to what I didn't even say like it's a quote. I never said any of those things. I just stated a fact. Which is: Electronic music was mainstream before Madonna did it. Fact. The things you're saying I never said or anything close to it.

I'm not even a Bjork fan either.

What are you even talking about?

What I don't get is why people twist my words and then suddenly someone else (you) is referring to what I didn't even say like it's a quote. I never said any of those things. I just stated a fact. Which is: Electronic music was mainstream before Madonna did it. Fact. The things you're saying I never said or anything close to it.

I'm not even a Bjork fan either.

I have no time for you right now.

Guest bluejean

Well everything I think I've already said it. And it's been misinterpreted, twisted and misquoted. So I'm not bothering anymore.

What you're saying is YOUR interpretation of things I've said, not what I've actually said.

Where did I say "Madonna doesn't have any originality." Quote it. You can't though. Because you just made it up.

Don't play that game. You said that Madonna always did what others people were already doing, that's basically saying she wasn't original. So no i didn't "made anything up".

I think M will definitely be noted as someone who contributed to the commercialization of electronic music although she certainly took her cue from the likes of Bjork in terms of really experimenting with sound and vocals.

Guest bluejean

You said that Madonna always did what others people were already doing.

Well once again that isn't a quote and it isn't what I meant.

I don't know why you feel Madonna needs to have invented her own genre of music in order to be great. I just feel the BEST thing about Madonna's music is not the production or style/genre of music but the songwriting itself. Personally I think that's a compliment to Madonna since that's the part that she's probably contributed to her music more than anything else. Great melodies, hooks, lyrics, personal meaning etc. I also feel, and I've said this before that Ray of Light would have been a great album if produced by someone totally different and you know, maybe even in a different genre.

I kind of agree with bluejean

Of course she helped popularising eletro with ROL/M but it existed and began to be popular before...

Bjork usend ti be huge, but not a single single of her made it to the top. Frozen did !

The thing that Madonna makes the best (beside from the incredible good tunes) is her ability to change/evoluate. She's been changing her voice, her looks, the production, the messages... what's what keeps the world and pop idolators entertained and sometimes fascinated, because her ability is fascinating.

And she's always herself through it all...

Guest bluejean

I kind of agree with bluejean

Of course she helped popularising eletro with ROL/M but it existed and began to be popular before...

Bjork usend ti be huge, but not a single single of her made it to the top. Frozen did !

The thing that Madonna makes the best (beside from the incredible good tunes) is her ability to change/evoluate. She's been changing her voice, her looks, the production, the messages... what's what keeps the world and pop idolators entertained and sometimes fascinated, because her ability is fascinating.

And she's always herself through it all...

So what you're basically saying is that Madonna isn't talented and that she just copied everyone else and doesn't write her own songs and is manufactured? :D

Guest Rachelle of London

So what you're basically saying is that Madonna isn't talented and that she just copied everyone else and doesn't write her own songs and is manufactured? :D

:dead: