The PERFECTION that is the Erotica video

Barbie

Amazing video, the song, the video, the album made me a hardcore Madonna fan.

It is really interesting than since then I don't know of any other video that came even close to the quality, imagery, and sexiness that Erotica has.

Recently watched Anaconda and Booty, Oh god, these two need to take lessons from M

Guest Rocco Papa

I remember when I first saw the Sex book 55-minute film, I was so disappointed that it didn't include any footage of the shoot in The Gaiety with all the boys. It was definitely filmed, as we see in the Erotica video, so hopefully more footage from that will see the light one day.

I remember getting a VHS bootleg of the original/promo 93:99 (that included Erotica before it was replaced w/ Fever I believe).....back before the official was released. It was the first time I saw Erotica in it's full glory as my only previous views of it where highly edited and cut MTV versions they played during Madonnarama's, All Madonna Weekends, etc. OMG, it was like finding the Holy Grail. I would replay it over and over and over and over. Still one of her most stark, dark and striking videos to date. It's complete artistic perfection for one of her grittiest singles.

I had NO idea the original version of that collection was supposed to have "Erotica" on it, and there were bootlegs of it! Wow, that must have been quite the find for you.

I always wanted Madonna to do an X rated music video release at some point or another in her career, especially since her videos were getting banned. I know JML was a major smash as a video single, but I would have loved a follow up collection say on VHS/DVD, Madonna 'X' or "banned" or something along those lines with her sauciest material - another copy of JML (heck with even more nudity edited in), Erotica X rated version, more footage from the Sex book remember to that French music or even over her other songs (I love a version of "Waiting" I once saw to the same footage...

Now THAT's a video collection I would have bought!

Anyway, I was so happy that the music station in my country did a special on the weekend "Erotica" video was released and showed it, and I taped it and watched it over, and over and over and over, haha.

Guest Rocco Papa

Was the uncensored version ever played on TV? Or she basically banned herself like she did with AL?

I remember reading that it aired on music channels outside America, but I don't know how true that is.

This video is perfection. I love how dark and dreamlike it is, and it really works with the song and it's theme.

Exactly. I remember that was my initial reaction when I first saw it. I love how it's dark and untreated. It reminded me of an old Hammer Horror film.

It's a masterpiece.

I had NO idea the original version of that collection was supposed to have "Erotica" on it, and there were bootlegs of it! Wow, that must have been quite the find for you.

I always wanted Madonna to do an X rated music video release at some point or another in her career, especially since her videos were getting banned. I know JML was a major smash as a video single, but I would have loved a follow up collection say on VHS/DVD, Madonna 'X' or "banned" or something along those lines with her sauciest material - another copy of JML (heck with even more nudity edited in), Erotica X rated version, more footage from the Sex book remember to that French music or even over her other songs (I love a version of "Waiting" I once saw to the same footage...

Now THAT's a video collection I would have bought!

Anyway, I was so happy that the music station in my country did a special on the weekend "Erotica" video was released and showed it, and I taped it and watched it over, and over and over and over, haha.

Yup, I was in high school at the time and OH so excited for this release as it was the very first time much of her 90's videos were available commercially....then it changed at the last minute and though I was still thrilled, I was bummed that Erotica was getting the boot. At the time, I had an online fan friend who had some pretty awesome connections and he was able to get a couple promo copies of what was originally 92:99.

Here is the full history of the release:

On September 2, 1999, Warner Bros. Records announced the release of the video album, then titled as The Video Collection 92–99.[1] Released in VHS and DVD, the collection featured 14 videos, including "Drowned World/Substitute for Love", which was not released in the United States as a single, hence was not commercially available prior to the release of Video Collection.[1][2] The videos in the collection was selected personally by Madonna, who felt the 14 videos to be her best work.[3] The collection had included the 1992 song "Erotica", but it was later omitted due to the sexual content present in the music video; instead the song "The Power of Good-Bye" was added and the collection was renamed as The Video Collection 93:99.[1][4]

The video release was supposed to be in mid-October, but was pushed to November 2, 1999.[5] The DVD release was to also include an accompanying compact disc with the audio to the videos as a dual-disc Greatest hits album, but was cancelled and the release only included a DVD. The original plan was to have the release coincide with the 1999 world tour which Madonna mentioned in an interview with Larry King the same year. This was also cancelled and postponed until 2001, Madonna instead releasing an audio greatest hits collection GHV2 and embarked on the Drowned World Tour that same year.[6][7]

wow, i had no idea! I can understand that they didn't include Erotica, if they wanted to avoid any kind of bad press or remembering the Sex era. But why on Earth didn't they want to include POG?

Is there an unwritten law that says that you can't include all? Or are they simply happy trolling the fans?

I recall once, in a Suzanne Vega forum years ago, another compilation was about to be released. And they didn't include a certain video. One fan moaned and ask "do they keep that video out so they will release another compillation in the future and we all end up buying it" and Suzanne HERSELF wrote into the forum "i'm tired of moaning, don't buy it if you don't like it". I was so shocked, hahahaha. Because the fan was right.

I did not know they planned to include an accompanying CD. That would have been a very meek collection. No Playground? No You'll See? No Deeper and Deeper? She must have really liked the a Fever video :lol:

Exactly. I remember that was my initial reaction when I first saw it. I love how it's dark and untreated. It reminded me of an old Hammer Horror film.

It's a masterpiece.

I agree, and it really ties nicely together with the SEX book. That whole album/book cycle was really well executed.

Here's the uncensored version:

Oh

My

God

Thanks so much for posting this ! I have NEVER seen the uncensored version !!! The naked bicycle riding scene is LIFE !