Madonna's saddest songs?

StrawberryBounce12

What are M's saddest songs? Which Madonna songs get you all in your feelings?

My list:

-Take a Bow (aka the greatest song ever!)

-Love Don't Live Here Anymore

-Live to Tell

-Crazy for You

-Falling Free

-Oh Father

-This Used to Be My Playground

-Don't Cry for Me Argentina (yes I'm aware it's a cover but she really made the song her own)

-Miles Away

-You'll See

Mer Girl, In This Life, Promise to Try for me - no question about it.

Falling Free is up there as well, but one of the chorus versions pulls me out of the mood a bit. The one with all the overlaid vocals, "Deep and pure, our hearts align..."

What about Gone from Music? When i first heard it i thought it was the saddest thing she's ever done in terms of melody and sound.

Promise To Try, In This Life, Inside of Me, Something To Remember, Lament from Evita OST are also great tearjerkers.

The only M song to ever make me cry: 'X-Static Process'

Hmm

Has To Be I have a special connection to, so in the past on my down days, it would get to me.

I can hear her pain in Promise to Try, Oh Father, and In This Life.

There's a lot of melancholia in Something to Remember, which is a fantastic song.

Was going to compile a little top 10, but these are the 11 that get me waters flowin'

1) Promise To Try
2) This Used To Be My Playground (Will listen to this when I'm old & grey & cry my heart out)
3) You Must Love Me
4) Live To Tell ("If I ran away...")
5) Easy Ride ("What I want, is to live forever" gets me every time)
6) I'll Remember
7) The Power of Good-Bye
8) Time Stood Still
9) Something To Remember ("We weren't meant to be, at least not in this lifetime")
10) Oh Father
11) The Look of Love (That Bridge)

Honourable mentions to X-Static & You'll See...

Bad Girl always takes me there. Her vocal delivery feels like it's so honest, as if she's really the character portrayed in the song (the character is most likely loosely based on M, to an extent).

Oh Father is one of the only songs ever to make me cry. So relatable.

Promise to Try <3

Then there is the emotional behemoth that is Live to Tell. No one else could have sung this song. Idc if you would have hired the best technical singer in the world. No one can match that emotion.

She has so many others too. It's mind boggling.

Edited by Shan

This will sound odd I'm sure, but to me there is something sad and longing about her vocals on Each Time You Break My Heart.

Live To Tell obviously has a sad quality, but the grandness and overall dramatic feel of this song have always overrode the sad quality to me.

The "my conscious is clear...." verse in TLOL.

Promise To Try

STR has always been very sad and melancholic to me. The end after her last note and it's just the piano always gets me.

TUTBMP........the way she sings the closing "wishing you were here with me" chokes me up!

I'll Remember

Lyrically TAB is heartbreaking.

TPOG

Easy Ride......as mentioned in an above post, her delivery of the "what I want is to live forever...." line has always been very melancholic to me.

And finally, for whatever reason Falling Free has become her one song that can make me cry almost every time I listen to it. The song is absolutely beautiful. All this talk of MDNA is all fluff......GTFOH with that shit.