Madonna and the bitch lingo

Guest CzarnaWisnia

I find it thoroughly abhorrent as it goes.

If its supposed to be ironic - there's myriad ways of being better at being ironic.

If its 'reclaiming' the language / label - the context in which she wraps the word actually achieves the opposite.

If its an attempt to be so called 'ghetto', someone should walk her around a ghetto sometime to see that in the face of extreme adversity, people still have regard and care for each other; including with how they speak.

If its to be 'down with the kids', to the kids, she's old enough to be their mother, and musically, the word 'bitch' in a song is clunky and has been done to death in the last ten years.

Oh, and she's a very funny person at times. This is not funny, its embarrassing.

As an extremely successful, influential person in their 50's (and anyone who wants to claim I'm being ageist, then fine, but really, I don't consider it okay at any age, but would hope we each reach a stage where if we have got those habits, we've been able to let them go and move on as we enter adulthood), I'm sad that she appears more reluctant to share her considerable intellect in a positive, constructive, articulate, interesting, insightful way.

Its not just in respect of Madonna however, when I see terms such as 'Bitch, please' being used, I find it embarrassing at best. The thought that the extremely talented artist I've musically held in such high regard all my life is about to deliver something called 'Bitch, I'm Madonna' and 'Unapologetic Bitch' fills me with sadness.

A year ago, Madonna was delivering 'Art for freedom'... well, there are still parts of this world where the word 'bitch' is synonymous with a good beating or sexual assault, so while there are still too many folk who have this association, and would experience Madonna as possibly perpetuating this and wouldn't understand an 'ironic' subtext, I would hope she would not use it and stand up for speaking to / about / with each other in a different [more healthy] way.

That said, like us all, she can do what she likes, and maybe power / authority is a more central theme at play here.

And what happens if it isn't and she just feels like saying/writing BITCH a lot?

What the hell?

What what the hell??? You know exactly what I'm talking about. Guys in here throw around names for women all the time. No one bats an eye. This lot really has a problem when Madonna throws bitch around?

And someone bringing up how words have been used towards women who have been abused and Madonna a woman needs to be educated sbout this???

This thread is a riot considering so many are basically afraid to say anything to anyone in here or that they are perfectly find calling women insulting names.

Women are simply not respected.

Madonna is just having fun on Instagram

Some of you take her writing in teenagese too seriously

Her instagram is the funniest thing she did in years

And this is the first time we can get a "real time" glimpse of the creative process without filters

And the press loves it

I have to agree with you. It's not like she's writing a novel or talking all time like this besides IG.

Can't be as bad as Cher's awful online grammar. I'm enjoying M's attitude, it reminds me of her early 90s self, she became quite serious in the 2000's.

You do realize that she's dyslexic, right? :lmao:

I was always like what is this bitch writing? Does she have a problem with her touch screen? And then I had to endure a presentation about dyslexia and then they mentioned her among other dyslexic celebrities and finally I understood. :lmao:

Guest CzarnaWisnia

I know a lot of people use defamatory names like bitch in a friendly way, or reclaim it for themselves and their "community", thus empowering themselves, etc. But as a gay man I've never reclaimed the word fag and others like it. Maybe it just doesn't correspond to my personality (I'm more introverted). But also I remember having a conversation about it with my cousin's girlfriend who did use the word, with no hatred attached whatsoever, but I told her it bothered me and I don't think she really understood why. On the other hand, I wouldn't condemn someone, let's say another gay man, who did use the word in a friendly way. But such words are filled with this ambiguity, and they can inflict hurt on others. I guess it depends on each person. If a gay man did use the word bitch though, I would at least find it unappealing, especially if used to refer to a woman. As for Madonna using it in future songs and song titles, I guess we really don't know anything yet, it's too early to say anything about it, but I'm sure she can be as crafty and thoughtful about it as she was invested in other things like Art for Freedom, for instance.

Instead of just subjective emotions...what happened to context and intent...?

Instead of just reacting...what happened to rational comprehension?

Not to mention that language and its various meanings change over time...esp. in regards to what context it's being used in.

As for certain groups taking back and reclaiming words/labels....so be it. And sometimes those labels cross various minority 'lines'. I no longer buy into that 'but if we just ban it, all the bad stuff will go away'...no it won't. If you don't like it, don't use it. If you don't like it, don't answer to it. But if you're so affected by something that's not even being used towards you, particularly not in a dehumanizing context....then really, what does it say about you?

And "ghetto speak"...uh, 'bitch' is not exclusive to the "ghetto". Not even.

Of all people, this is Madonna for crying out loud. Were y'all not around in the 80s/90s? If anything, these last few years have been quite old-school Madonna....and I applaud that #unapologeticbitch.

Instead of just subjective emotions...what happened to context and intent...?

Instead of just reacting...what happened to rational comprehension?

Not to mention that language and its various meanings change over time...esp. in regards to what context it's being used in.

As for certain groups taking back and reclaiming words/labels....so be it. And sometimes those labels cross various minority 'lines'. I no longer buy into that 'but if we just ban it, all the bad stuff will go away'...no it won't. If you don't like it, don't use it. If you don't like it, don't answer to it. But if you're so affected by something that's not even being used towards you, particularly not in a dehumanizing context....then really, what does it say about you?

And "ghetto speak"...uh, 'bitch' is not exclusive to the "ghetto". Not even.

Of all people, this is Madonna for crying out loud. Were y'all not around in the 80s/90s? If anything, these last few years have been quite old-school Madonna, if anything....and I applaud that #unapologeticbitch.

Great post! It's almost scary to witness the decline in the ability of people to place intent and context on words. Idk if it's because of internet, social media or what but I've definitely noticed it increasingly the last few years. These hashtags and "ghetto" talk are really getting over analyzed, it's not that serious.

I agree that the Madonna of recent years is more like old school Madonna and I love it!

Guest CzarnaWisnia

But if you're so affected by something that's not even being used towards you, particularly not in a dehumanizing context....then really, what does it say about you?

please, please tell me.

i dont think this thread was starting referring only to the use of the word 'bitch'

all her faux ghetto speak just looks fucking ridiculous, she can still be funny without writing like a child.

I find it thoroughly abhorrent as it goes.

If its supposed to be ironic - there's myriad ways of being better at being ironic.

If its 'reclaiming' the language / label - the context in which she wraps the word actually achieves the opposite.

If its an attempt to be so called 'ghetto', someone should walk her around a ghetto sometime to see that in the face of extreme adversity, people still have regard and care for each other; including with how they speak.

If its to be 'down with the kids', to the kids, she's old enough to be their mother, and musically, the word 'bitch' in a song is clunky and has been done to death in the last ten years.

Oh, and she's a very funny person at times. This is not funny, its embarrassing.

As an extremely successful, influential person in their 50's (and anyone who wants to claim I'm being ageist, then fine, but really, I don't consider it okay at any age, but would hope we each reach a stage where if we have got those habits, we've been able to let them go and move on as we enter adulthood), I'm sad that she appears more reluctant to share her considerable intellect in a positive, constructive, articulate, interesting, insightful way.

Its not just in respect of Madonna however, when I see terms such as 'Bitch, please' being used, I find it embarrassing at best. The thought that the extremely talented artist I've musically held in such high regard all my life is about to deliver something called 'Bitch, I'm Madonna' and 'Unapologetic Bitch' fills me with sadness.

A year ago, Madonna was delivering 'Art for freedom'... well, there are still parts of this world where the word 'bitch' is synonymous with a good beating or sexual assault, so while there are still too many folk who have this association, and would experience Madonna as possibly perpetuating this and wouldn't understand an 'ironic' subtext, I would hope she would not use it and stand up for speaking to / about / with each other in a different [more healthy] way.

That said, like us all, she can do what she likes, and maybe power / authority is a more central theme at play here.

You must be really fun at parties.

So many dumb azz bitches in this thread.