Theory: MDNA is this decade's DWT, therefore next tour will be like Reinvention

Apples388

I'm torn - I love the classics with the original orchestrations...but I LIVE for the re-inventions.

I though The MDNA Tour was a perfect combination of everything - lots of new material, a few hits re-invented, and a few of the most iconic ones FINALLY done in their (close to) original form.

If she had added Holiday right before Celebration, I would have been dead.

I actually think Sticky & Sweet had the perfect ballance from old and new.

The problem with MDNA was that some songs were not even close to the original. Hung Up was lacking something, Papa Don't Preach was barely there, etc...

I think we might get like 10 new tracks from the new album, but the rest will be big hits. No Human Nature or Candy Shop kinda songs. And i'm praying for a great last section. Noboby Knows Me, I'm Addicted and I'm A Sinner to start the last section was weird for me, IMO. But i did enjoy it all as a show. I can see why casuals wouldn't though.

I actually think Sticky & Sweet had the perfect ballance from old and new.

The problem with MDNA was that some songs were not even close to the original. Hung Up was lacking something, Papa Don't Preach was barely there, etc...

I think we might get like 10 new tracks from the new album, but the rest will be big hits. No Human Nature or Candy Shop kinda songs. And i'm praying for a great last section. Noboby Knows Me, I'm Addicted and I'm A Sinner to start the last section was weird for me, IMO. But i did enjoy it all as a show. I can see why casuals wouldn't though.

This TBH.

Even the reinvented Vogue still felt like the classic one to me. I felt it wasn't that far from the original even if it was.

This TBH.

Even the reinvented Vogue still felt like the classic one to me. I felt it wasn't that far from the original even if it was.

S&S Vogue is an example of a reinvented song that worked brilliantly. Many have, but some fall a bit flat (Hung Up S&S and MDNA).

MDNA Tour had:

Papa Don't Preach

Hung Up

Express Yourself

Open Your Heart

Justify My Love

Vogue

Erotica

Human Nature

Like A Virgin

Like A Prayer

which were all classic staple M hits, so I'm not really understanding this "lack of classics" talk.

Errrrrr, no.

"Hung Up" was morphed beyond recognition.

"Papa Don't Preach" was barely 2 minutes.

"Erotica" was mashed up with "Candy Shop".

"Like a Virgin" was as different as could be from the original version.

And so on and so forth.

Let's not go through this again. MDNA is my 2nd favourite tour of all time, but it was not heavy on the classics. "Vogue", "Like a Prayer" and "Express Yourself" were the only ones that fitted that bill.

Madonna has so many hits that you can never cover them all, but of what you list above, PDP was about one minute long, Hung Up was a very different version, as was LAV, Erotica (was actually Candy Shop mash up), JML was an interlude etc.

We are hardcore fans who love the dark and dangerous stuff.

The reality is that less people are interested in her new stuff (unless she can have another success like COADF). She will always get an audience, but a lot of that audience wants to see a lot of classic hits. Its not unreasonable to expect that.

Exactly my thoughts. Thanks for common sense, Wright!

I don't get the parallels you are drawing tbh

RIT wasn't any more classics-loaded than any other Madonna tour post 1993-2001 hyatus was and certainly not more than an MDNA was. 3/4 of AL were performed on it so I really don't understand this common fan misconception. Also DWT is not a good example to pick as a tour poor in 80s classics since she had three previously untoured studio albums to showcase in 2001 as by that time she hadn't performed in 8 years and Madonna has always been all about "studio album du jour showcasing". I don't know, is it the fact that RIT was not titled "The American Life Tour" or "The Love Profusion Tour" ? :blink:

Waiting for someone to tell me again that RIT was sold as a GH Tour :rotfl:

Guest bluejean

Well it WAS. They referred to Madonna "performing her Greatest Hits" in a press release. And it was reported in the media.

And it featured more hits than any tour since BAT. FACT.

Re-Invention is the closest she has ever gotten - and probably ever will - to a 'Greatest hits tour'. M herself has said in the past that she doesn't want to become a nostalgia-greatest hits act. So no, I don't think Tour #10 will be a Greatest hits one. Also I don't think she should include 'Like a Prayer', 'Vogue', 'Holiday', 'La Isla Bonita', 'Human Nature', etc. They are soooo overplayed.

Well it WAS. They referred to Madonna "performing her Greatest Hits" in a press release. And it was reported in the media.

And it featured more hits than any tour since BAT. FACT.

What are you talking about? BAT and RIT are 14 years apart, how can you compare a range of songs that you could consider a hit to choose from in 21 years vs the 7 years that had elapsed from the start till BAT's moment in her career timeline? It's ridiculous. That last sentence alone makes no sense. Obviously BAT seems more classics filled if by "classics" you only mean her 80s song considering that BAT happened in 1990 :lol:

And I'm sorry but 5/11 tracks is not 3/4. It's less than half.

5/11? On what planet?

7 songs out of a total of 11 utilised on RIT is nearly three quarters of the American Life album being featured in the tour. Certainly not less than half. As it's been the case for EVERY studio album she's released since 1983 unless she had more than one studio album at a time to showcase at that moment in her career and it happened twice, namely: Madonna/LAV (Virgin Tour) and Bedtime Stories/ROL/Music (DWT).

With DWT she had a grand total of three studio albums of unperformed material, no wonder how it's easy to mistake its immediate follower RIT for a GH Tour. Sorry but if that had been a GH Tour she would have just left out AL entirely and she clearly didn't, the AL songs/visuals/concepts were central in the RIT narrative.

Anyway my initial point is that I can't see a correlation between DWT and MDNA at all and what we can be sure about is that her next tour will be centred around her by then newly released work. Look at S&S which was spun by a record who stilll managed to be a year-end Top 15 with no real promotion but that in no way made waves like COADF, yet S&S is undeniably built around HC, so the whole theory of RIT as a GH tour since AL was a flop is a joke really.

Guest bluejean

XXL, please tell me you are not including Intervention as one of the American Life tracks on Reinvention? Honestly. And Hollywood was an interlude but you know that already so I don't even know why I'm saying it.

Why is this even a discussion? RIT WAS sold as a GH tour. It didn't mention her previous album on its title, the main track used to promote the show was Vogue and Frozen from the first section. The show's name actually kinda indicates what it's all about.

The show ended with Into The Groove, Papa Don't Preach, Crazy For You, Music and Holiday.

Music was the 00's track chosen to be among 4 other 80's classics...not Hollywood or any other American Life closing the show. She performed 13 USA top 10 hits there, 5 of them were #1 hits.

The woman performed Material Girl! Seriously!

Now compare it with MDNA. It was THE MDNA TOUR. The performance used on TV to talk about the show was Girl Gone Wild. The album's 2nd single opened the show, her last greatest hits single closed the show (a remix that was not the "main version" on the radios). Many hits were unrecognizable (Hung Up, the Justify My Love interlude, etc...), others were too short (Papa Don't Preach). She used not one, not two, but 3 album tracks as interludes...2 of them mixed and one from her big 00's flop (Best Friend/Heartbeat and then Nobody Knows Me) and even the only hit single MDNA produced, Give Me All Your Luvin' was completely different and incomplete from the album version.

We were lucky to get Express Yourself, Like A Prayer and Vogue as sing-along songs. Open Your Heart was a reinvention well done. You could sing it even if you knew that song from the 80's.

I love MDNA as a show...but it was clearly not a hits-fest kinda show. Let's not even pretend it was at the same level as RIT.

Errrrrr, no.

"Hung Up" was morphed beyond recognition.

"Papa Don't Preach" was barely 2 minutes.

"Erotica" was mashed up with "Candy Shop".

"Like a Virgin" was as different as could be from the original version.

And so on and so forth.

Let's not go through this again. MDNA is my 2nd favourite tour of all time, but it was not heavy on the classics. "Vogue", "Like a Prayer" and "Express Yourself" were the only ones that fitted that bill.

If you want Madonna classics in their original arrangements, then why don't you just sit your ass at home watching the Celebration DVD?

Do some people here actually want a tour full of original versions of classic hits? like WTF?

If you want Madonna classics in their original arrangements, then why don't you just sit your ass at home watching the Celebration DVD?

Do some people here actually want a tour full of original versions of classic hits? like WTF?

One thing is Madonna performing the album versions of her songs. No one is here for that.

Another thing is changing her songs so much you can't even sing them before knowing the new versions.

Open Your Heart on MDNA is a good example of a good re-invention.

Guest bluejean

He didn't say that's what he wanted. He said he has a feeling the next tour will be hit heavy. He said he loves the MDNA tour.

Do some people here actually read what's written on the screen in front of them? like WTF?

Guest bluejean

One thing is Madonna performing the album versions of her songs. No one is here for that.

Another thing is changing her songs so much you can't even sing them before knowing the new versions.

Open Your Heart on MDNA is a good example of a good re-invention.

Well I am actually here for that. I'd love the original version of Into The Groove or Hung Up. Some songs are so perfect in their original form its good to go back to that (eg Vogue, Holiday.)

I think a good mix of reinventions and classic versions is good. ALL original versions would be boring of course but I doubt she would do that.

Well I am actually here for that. I'd love the original version of Into The Groove or Hung Up. Some songs are so perfect in their original form its good to go back to that (eg Vogue, Holiday.)

I think a good mix of reinventions and classic versions is good. ALL original versions would be boring of course but I doubt she would do that.

THIS. :clap: :clap: :clap:

She's been saying since 1993 how she needs to re-invent her songs as she doesn't want to repeat herself. So because of that, I still think MDNA had a decent amount of hits performed, some of her biggest.

With that said, I don't think she's going to go back to a previous tour style from the past. I think she's gonna continue what she's been doing for the past tours: do a bulk of the new album, add in a few classics, and a few not so classic.

Guest bluejean

Well considering how much more she's put into this new album compared to MDNA you are probably right. She'll be so excited about this album she'll perform the majority of it live. She's done with the past 3 albums.

You kind of have to wonder about Re-invention, how much arm twisting went on to see her do so many hits let alone Material Girl and very few tracks from her then current album. Imo that whole period around American Life had a very un-Madonna vibe. Pulling the video, the duet with Britney, using (and butchering) an old song Into The Groove for those Gap ads, the children's books.... Surely this was the start of Madonna menopause?