Theory: MDNA is this decade's DWT, therefore next tour will be like Reinvention

Apples388

I think so. I have a hunch the next tour will be hit-heavy and shamelessly so.

There was a reactionary element to Reinvention being the way it was, not just because American Life under-performed but also because Drowned World Tour's reviews praised the theatricality but bemoaned the lack of hits and as such there was a fear of slow ticket sales etc.

We won't go back to talking about MDNA's underperformance of nor (zzzzz.....) but there's no doubt about the fact that the tour did fantastic business but there were also some 'slower' sales and critiques about the setlist.

So it follows that my gut feeling is that the 2015 tour will have its fair share of hits. Meaning mostly '80s and '90s, Music and Confessions.

MY THEORY OKAY. You can kill me later.

:wow:

I actually agree with you. I feel that the next tour will feature more hits than the MDNA tour :)

But i don't think it's a bad thing, she can still do a tour as spectacular/theatrical as the MDNA tour with more well-known songs in the setlist!

I don't know about that... The MDNA Tour was one of the few tours to feature at least a handful of her most iconic hits - with at least the three big ones performed pretty damn close to their original orchestrations (though edited) - I mean, who thought we'd ever get that again? This idea that MDNA wasn't hit heavy is kind of weird to me, as it pretty much follows the pattern she always uses...and I have a feeling that the next tour will be pretty much the same, particularly if the record is a hit. If not, perhaps then she'll do more hits....as at this stage in her career, if a record goes through the American Life treatment again, that seems to be the only situation I see her falling back on the hits.

My theory is that this time she'll only start two hours late, instead of three!

Or maybe she'll just have surprise day - just show up and announce on Facebook:

"Dublin, are you with me? Show TONIGHT. Tickets on sale NOW. #yaaaaaaaassssss"

On a more serious note, I absolutely agree. If she does go on a big-scale tour - and there's no reason to believe she won't, although I'd love if she scaled it back a bit - then it makes sense to sell the show as a "return to roots" or some bull like that and bring out the 80s hits - whether or not the album does well would not matter, just like with Confessions. And this is an important distinction, in my opinion: to reeeallly bring in the dough, she'd be smart to pull the 80s ghosts out of the vault. Essentially: old and new, and very little in between.

I have always said Madonna could have the highest grossing tour ever if she actually done a greatest hits tour with the right marketing. People would come who have never seen her before and she would fill stadiums the world over. But none of your rock versions of Hung Up, a proper greatest hits!

That would be awesome for Australian audiences if she comes here next tour - and we want Like A Prayer after 25 years

Greatest hits + overlooked territories = record breaking tour. Dyke's record in OZ would be smashed in no time.

So, Re-invention had the hits so that the tickets would sell? I don't think the setlist was known at the time most tickets were sold.

I don't think Madonna will ever have trouble to sell a tou and I don't think she will change her setlist that much. She has the some amount of classics every tour from 2006 onwards.

As a fan i take everything:)

So, Re-invention had the hits so that the tickets would sell? I don't think the setlist was known at the time most tickets were sold.

I don't think Madonna will ever have trouble to sell a tou and I don't think she will change her setlist that much. She has the some amount of classics every tour from 2006 onwards.

As a fan i take everything:)

She has no trouble selling a tour but a tour marketed with greatest hits would bring many man casual fans out who would not normally go to her concerts.

I want to see Like A Prayer, Vogue, La Isla Bonita, and Human Nature again. :yes:

No offense to anyone at all, but I'm so sick of hearing these same songs & several other songs over & over again. :sick:

The MDNA setlist sucked to me on paper, but the tour wind up being one of her most creative & darkest ever!

MDNA Tour had:

Papa Don't Preach

Hung Up

Express Yourself

Open Your Heart

Justify My Love

Vogue

Erotica

Human Nature

Like A Virgin

Like A Prayer

which were all classic staple M hits, so I'm not really understanding this "lack of classics" talk.

MDNA Tour had:

Papa Don't Preach

Hung Up

Express Yourself

Open Your Heart

Justify My Love

Vogue

Erotica

Human Nature

Like A Virgin

Like A Prayer

which were all classic staple M hits, so I'm not really understanding this "lack of classics" talk.

This. Except for HN being a staple hit. In what universe did that happen? I need to see the receipts please. Hung Up was a hit an

I don't think you can compare DWT and MDNA at all. DWT had three associated albums, Bedtime Stories (eventhough she only performed two songs of it), Ray of Light and Music, which were all commercially succesful. And she only performed songs from those albums as well as some non-album songs and LIB and Holiday. MDNAT was only in association with one album and included numerous hits and some "surprises", while MDNA the album didn't produce any major hit singles. (AL for example did much better in Europe than it did in the US, but of course the US in the only country worth looking at. :nails: )

I don't think Madonna herself sees RIT as a greatest hits tour. After all, it did feature most of the AL album and you can't really say that all the songs included were hits or rather her "greatest hits". I think RIT was mainly seen as an opportunity to perform some of the old songs again after not touring for 8 years and then coming back with a tour that only had two oldies included.

Guest eroticerotic

i definitely think it will be hits heavy and fan favorites if she's touring australia!

Edited by eroticerotic

MDNA Tour had:

Papa Don't Preach

Hung Up

Express Yourself

Open Your Heart

Justify My Love

Vogue

Erotica

Human Nature

Like A Virgin

Like A Prayer

Madonna has so many hits that you can never cover them all, but of what you list above, PDP was about one minute long, Hung Up was a very different version, as was LAV, Erotica (was actually Candy Shop mash up), JML was an interlude etc.

We are hardcore fans who love the dark and dangerous stuff.

The reality is that less people are interested in her new stuff (unless she can have another success like COADF). She will always get an audience, but a lot of that audience wants to see a lot of classic hits. Its not unreasonable to expect that.

Madonna has so many hits that you can never cover them all, but of what you list above, PDP was about one minute long, Hung Up was a very different version, as was LAV, Erotica (was actually Candy Shop mash up), JML was an interlude etc.

We are hardcore fans who love the dark and dangerous stuff.

The reality is that less people are interested in her new stuff (unless she can have another success like COADF). She will always get an audience, but a lot of that audience wants to see a lot of classic hits. Its not unreasonable to expect that.

Thanks for saving me the time to write this. Only LAP, EY, and Vogue were the only global hits performed close to the original version.

I loved it when Papa Don't Preach started, it worked so well, it tied current Madonna with classic Madonna, it's a shame the song was only a minute long.

It would be great if she included more hits, but I loved what she did with the tracks from MDNA, the dark opening section was fantastic.

I wish she'd stop messing with classics like OYH and just play the original or the version from BAT.