Scotland independence

ADUSTIO

@jazzyjan / @Kim -- she's spirited darlings.

Well that's that then. I was leaning for No the whole campaign but once the polls opened funny enough my heart was rooting for Yes. Probably Auld Lang Syne playing in the back. Anyway it would have been a remarkable shake to the system and fascinating to see Scotland grow in independence, land-usurper England bluffing and Scotland calling it being the ultimate kii. (Sorry :england:) :rotfl: Overall it hopefully won't feel like such a loss, it certainly isn't for democracy, and Scotland, keep your tuition free please and thanks I'll be there next year xx. :scotland:

Goodnight!

I'm sorry NO won. I think Scotland may have helped other countries like mine where this independence thing is still considered taboo and some kind of horrible sin.

Anyway, my hope is that now you can still live together and there's no kind of hungover. It's kind of dangerous to fuel a climate of division, it's difficult to work together again afterwards.

even if i knew the results it has been exciting and thrilling to read all these pages, thanks to kim, chelle and jazzy....

from the outside it seems so strange that NO won...i wonder what are the Noer reasons.....fear? something else? and reding previous pages Kim said that in case of indipendence SCotland would have remain a kingdom...is it so? i gave for granted that would have become authomatically a republic...

thanks everyone

From what I can gauge, there's a certain OH WELL feeling about the whole thing, like a big party's been cancelled or something (and we do love a party) Certainly no rioting in the streets or anything (this is Scotland afterall, not England :bad: )

it seems so strange that NO won...i wonder what are the Noer reasons.....fear? something else? and reding previous pages Kim said that in case of indipendence SCotland would have remain a kingdom...is it so? i gave for granted that would have become authomatically a republic...

The NO campaign was extremely sinister and scaremongering, as was the London-based media reporting in the newspapers and the BBC. One would think the four horsemen of the apocalypse were saddled-up and ready to ride into Scotland should a YES vote win. There was also a fixation on the issues of currency and the EU, on which both sides had conflicting "what if?" arguments that were never resolved. Once the YES vote took a lead in the polls, new powers for the existing Scottish parliament were promised by the other 3 main UK political leaders in a published "vow" to the people as some sort of compromise, so that may have swayed some voters away from a YES.

As for the monarchy, the SNP aren't a republican party, they proposed keeping the Queen as head of state just as she is in Canada, Australia etc. Which isn't to say a republican party wouldn't take power at some point in the future and propose changes.

Have you guys seen the results of this poll? Very interesting, 71 percent of young people voted Yes!

Interestingly, this was the first ever UK election in which 16 and 17 year olds were given the vote, (still only a very small percentage of the vote though) and contrary to fears that most of them were too young or inexperienced, they appeared to have a better grip on current socio economic issues than the older entrenched generation, probably due to still being in education.

As that older generation dies off, next time this issue comes up (as it'll never go away) in say, 20 years or so, I predict a YES vote, it's just a matter of time. Especially if other parts of the UK continue their rapid decline into the more extreme right wing.

I'm sorry NO won. I think Scotland may have helped other countries like mine where this independence thing is still considered taboo and some kind of horrible sin.

Anyway, my hope is that now you can still live together and there's no kind of hungover. It's kind of dangerous to fuel a climate of division, it's difficult to work together again afterwards.

I actually dion´t have an opinion about thye YES winning. The important fact, for me, from the Basque country, is that they have had the right to vote, without killing anybody, legally, democratically...although it could have been interesting to see what would have happened with a country that becomes independent (you know, the euro, the banks...)

Alex Salmond resigns as First Minster of Scotland. -

"I am immensely proud of the campaign which Yes Scotland fought and of the 1.6 million voters who rallied to that cause by backing an independent Scotland. I am also proud of the 85% turnout in the referendum and the remarkable response of all of the people of Scotland who participated in this great constitutional debate and the manner in which they conducted themselves.

We now have the opportunity to hold Westminster’s feet to the fire on the ‘vow’ that they have made to devolve further meaningful power to Scotland. This places Scotland in a very strong position.

I spoke to the prime minister today and, although he reiterated his intention to proceed as he has outlined, he would not commit to a second reading vote by 27th March on a Scotland bill. That was a clear promise laid out by Gordon Brown during the campaign. The prime minister says such a vote would be meaningless. I suspect he cannot guarantee the support of his party.

But today the point is this. The real guardians of progress are not the politicians at Westminster, or even at Holyrood, but the energised activism of tens of thousands of people who I predict will refuse meekly to go back into the political shadows.

For me right now , therefore there is a decision as to who is best placed to lead this process forward politically. I believe that in this new exciting situation, redolent with possibility, party, parliament and country would benefit from new leadership.

Therefore I have told the National Secretary of the SNP that I will not accept nomination to be a candidate for leader at the Annual Conference in Perth on 13th-15th November.

After the membership ballot I will stand down as First Minister to allow the new leader to be elected by due Parliamentary process.

Until then I will continue to serve as First Minister. After that I will continue to offer to serve as Member of the Scottish Parliament for Aberdeenshire East.

It has been the privilege of my life to serve Scotland as First Minister. But as I said often during the referendum campaign this is not about me or the SNP. It is much more important than that.

The position is this. We lost the referendum vote but can still carry the political initiative. More importantly Scotland can still emerge as the real winner."

CNS6Qpa.jpg

Some people don't even understand why they vote. Or worst: they can't explain their choice because they don't have any arguments.

And it happens from both side.

Very true, though it's clear that many people, in response to Project Fear, went for the easy option with the status quo, and now shame and guilt are eating away at their little cowardly hearts :bad:

• 2 years later...

Time to reactivate this thread...

Sturgeon announces plan for 2nd Scottish independence referendum

58c685f2c4618873668b45b0.jpg

First Minister Nicola Sturgeon has announced plans for a second Scottish independence referendum in a key speech in Edinburgh on Monday. It comes as Prime Minister Theresa May prepares to formally launch Brexit negotiations.

Sturgeon told a press conference in Bute House, Edinburgh, she will stand up for Scotland’s interest and make sure the Scottish people have a choice at the end of Brexit negotiations.

Claiming the government’s plan for a ‘hard Brexit’ will “damage the economy and change the very nature of our society and country,” Sturgeon announced her intention to go to the Scottish Parliament in Holyrood next week to ask it to approve a second Scottish independence referendum.

Sturgeon said another referendum is inevitable as she cannot “pretend” a “compromise agreement” will be reached with the government.

“Whatever path we take, it should be one decided by us, not for us,” Sturgeon said.

The PM had failed to move “an inch in pursuit of compromise or agreement,” she said, instead putting up a “brick wall of intransigence," despite 62 percent of Scots voting against Brexit.

She had pledged to hold a referendum ever since the UK voted to leave the EU if Scotland is denied access the single market. She said the chance for a second independence vote is “highly likely” after May failed to include access to the single market in her list of priorities to negotiate with the EU.

Sturgeon told the BBC last week that an independence vote should be held in autumn 2018, the “earliest point at which a referendum would be appropriate,” as the terms for the UK to leave the EU will be clearer by that time.

“Within that window, I guess, of when the outline of a UK deal becomes clear and the UK exiting the EU, I think would be common sense time for Scotland to have that choice, if that is the road we choose to go down,” she told the BBC.

Her appearance at Bute House coincides with the final vote on the Brexit bill passing through the House of Commons on Monday evening. If the bill is passed, PM May will be able to trigger Article 50 as early as Tuesday, formally launching Brexit negotiations with the EU.

The bill had been voted down by the House of Lords, which called for two amendments last week: the guarantee for EU citizens in the UK of their right to stay, as well as allowing Parliament to vote on the final Brexit deal once EU negotiations come to a conclusion.

It is thought the PM aims to trigger Article 50 as early as possible to avoid clashing with the general election in the Netherlands on Wednesday and EU celebrations of the 1957 Treaty of Rome.

Sturgeon must have Westminster’s approval to hold another independence referendum.

Although May has not clarified her stance on the issue, Defense Secretary Michael Fallon said “there is no need” for a repeat of an independence vote after the “clear-cut” result of the past one in 2014.

Speaking to BBC Radio Scotland, Fallon said: “Brexit negotiations haven’t started yet and they are going to be complex.

“I have seen estimates that they might last for a couple of years, so I can’t comment on what might be known in autumn 2018,” Fallon said.

“But let me be very clear we don’t see any need for another referendum we had one just two-and-a-half years ago, it was accepted as a clear-cut result at the time and there is plenty of other business for the Scottish government to be getting on with.”

The latest Ipso MORI poll shows half of Scotland’s population would favor independence.

https://www.rt.com/uk/380507-sturgeon-brexit-scottish-independence/

2 hours ago, karbatal said:

I hope Brussels supports Scotland full force! If any other country wants to get out of the EU, they will know what to expect.

yes! Brussels should make all it could to simply keep Scotland WITHIN EU if it decides to leave UK. If Theresa May is so keen on respecting the will of the ppl, she should be content to agree on this: 62 percent of Scots were pro-EU.