Scotland independence

ADUSTIO

LET THEM dammit! who cares bout the damn queen, down with her!

It's not a vote to become a republic. The royals won't be affected.

Will they be wanting to be bailed out when it all goes wrong :lmao:

I so want the yes campaign to win. I wanna see what happens.

Who's They? Be careful what you wish for. While Scotland will become one of the 20th richest countries in the world (a simple fact) who knows what'll happen to the ...rest.

Gordon Brown!

Gordon Brown was talking to some faux-caller on London radio? I was sure he was up here. It's already been confirmed that those who have paid into a British pension will still be entitled to it, just like an ex-pat Brit who's spent their working life here then retires to eg. Spain or France, still gets their pension. Everyone else will get their Scottish pension, obviously.

Guest Rachelle of London

It's not a vote to become a republic. The royals won't be affected.

Who's They? Be careful what you wish for. While Scotland will become one of the 20th richest countries in the world (a simple fact) who knows what'll happen to the ...rest.

Gordon Brown was talking to some faux-caller on London radio? I was sure he was up here. It's already been confirmed that those who have paid into a British pension will still be entitled to it, just like an ex-pat Brit who's spent their working life here then retires to eg. Spain or France, still gets their pension. Everyone else will get their Scottish pension, obviously.

I wasnt referring to Scotland, I was referring to the places Popeline listed. I did say that I want Scotland to become independent.

Gordon Brown was being interviewed and they had callers in. The same with Nick Clegg. Isnt Gordon a key figure in the no campaign? He said the same on Question Time. Hes been all over the media saying that. LBC is now nationwide.

Is Spain a democracy? Why doesn't the Spanish govt let the people of Catalonia decide their fate? The recent huge Catalonian marches have received a blanket ban on mainstream London-based UK media btw...should they "influence" the Scottish vote, as have gatherings of thousands across various Scottish cities, replaced with pics of 5 or 6 people holding placards. Couldn't make it up..

When the kingdom of Spain was made, it was a mix of several kingdoms: Castilla, Aragon and Navarra. But it was because they were absorbed: conquered and that all. Then for almost 300 years it was just a kingdom.

Is far different from UK, where there always have been several kingdoms living together. So a vote is not contemplated by law. I do think, though, that they should either create a new law or whatever. And they should vote.

The funny thing is that after 1975, when our new Constitution was written, those old kingdoms had autonomy, so nowadays Catalonia has the same autonomy as a free country, except in terms of fiscal policy. But they decide their education, they manage their health system, their security... Nowadays it's just a matter of money: they want to get all the money they produce, not give anything to Madrid, so it goes to poorer parts of Spain. Sometimes i feel it's fair, other times I think of how in the last 100 years millions have gone from Madrid to Barcelona, to develope their industry, to make roads, railways... In the end, is that really their money? tricky question.

Anyway, i hope they vote and get satisfied.

Will they be wanting to be bailed out when it all goes wrong :lmao:

I so want the yes campaign to win. I wanna see what happens.

I think the same, hahaha. And those who go independent will later blame their former countries for everything. That's what nationalism always do: find some guilty part, no matter who.

I wasnt referring to Scotland, I was referring to the places Popeline listed. I did say that I want Scotland to become independent.

Gordon Brown was being interviewed and they had callers in. The same with Nick Clegg. Isnt Gordon a key figure in the no campaign? He said the same on Question Time. Hes been all over the media saying that. LBC is now nationwide.

Oh ok. I don't know anything about those other places but if there's a mandate for change then so be it.

Brown seems to have been dragged in at the last minute as some sort of national "no" figure after Alistair Darling's wishy washy leadership of that campaign

And those who go independent will later blame their former countries for everything....

Like who for example?

I don't know Scotland, but the Catalonia case is laughable. Their former goverment, that was nationalist, left the region in bankrupt. Then, instead of asking for an explanation, they said that Spain robs them millions each year and that's why they are bankrupt.Other regions in Spain, like Madrid, give more than CAtalonia each year and weren't bankrupt at all.

It's very easy to have a certain enemy. It's very practical for Madrid too: while many citizens are discussing the catalonian case, they are not talking about the horrible unemployment or the Brussels stupid policy. Win-win.

That's why i'm sure they won't go independent. In Scotland case i don't know if this issue has been used as smoke to hide further problems. It's not casual that this theme has arised precisely when Europe is facing the worst economical situation in the last 50 years. And that's why i think it's not casual either that suddenly Russia is such a big enemy, that muslim fanaticals are gaining territories and becoming a problem...

ok, i know i seem Lucky Guy now, but that's what i think.-

I'm really interested in what happens in Scotland. Can't wait to see the result.

In 1995, the province of Quebec held a referendum to separate from the rest of Canada.

The NO won with 50.58%

The YES lost with 49.42%

The NO won by only 54 288 votes out of 4.7 million votes.

I'll remember this night all my life.

In Scotland case i don't know if this issue has been used as smoke to hide further problems.

It's those further problems that's fueled the issue in the first place not the other way around.

Your Catalonia comparison is interesting, a little like the earlier posts in this thread, "oh all our money is being spent on Scotland's free university tuition" type nonsense, but it's not applicable to this case of a possible complete economic and fiscal separation, then blaming the other party should it go "wrong".

Meanwhile, EU and USA are closing their free-trade contract and NOBODY talks about it, even though it will affect us all in terms of economics, laws and environment.

Well you'd think this independence issue wasn't years in the making the way it's suddenly been pounced upon days before the actual vote, Apart from the UK, it's hardly made waves really. As for hiding the real problems of society and the world with everyday minutiae? Well that's politics for you.

Well you'd think this independence issue wasn't years in the making the way it's suddenly been pounced upon days before the actual vote, Apart from the UK, it's hardly made waves really. As for hiding the real problems of society and the world with everyday minutiae? Well that's politics for you.

That's interesting. You know that it's difficult to understand domestic issues from other countries, loads of information aren't well known.

I have a question. Why did Cameron offered to make that vote? Since then, most of us didn't even know that there were tension between Scotland and England, except the typical ones that are in every other country.

That's interesting. You know that it's difficult to understand domestic issues from other countries, loads of information aren't well known.

I have a question. Why did Cameron offered to make that vote? Since then, most of us didn't even know that there were tension between Scotland and England, except the typical ones that are in every other country.

There's not tensions between the countries per se, It's a political thing. There's just a general unease at the increasing right wing policies from Westminster on a traditionally left wing country like Scotland and the inability to do anything about it. The ideals of self determination and democracy coming into play - in the last UK elections, the Conservatives won ONE seat in the whole of Scotland, in the last Scottish elections the SNP (nationalist) party won an overwhelming majority (not necessarily because of being nationalist, but because of it's standing as the other big left wing party in Scotland after the Labour party whom many are disillusioned with) Such a large majority resulted in there being a mandate for an independence referendum, which had previously been promised should the need arrive, which it has.

Why do Scottish people get free tuition fees anyway? Is there a reason behind it. For someone in England and Wales its £9000 a year

Because it was part of the SNP's election pledge and they stuck to it. Y'know, like Nick Clegg's pledge...which he didn't stick to....?

Guest Rachelle of London

Because it was part of the SNP's election pledge and they stuck to it. Y'know, like Nick Clegg's pledge...which he didn't stick to....?

Nick Clegg :lmao: what a joke.

So unfair though. The worst thing is if an English person wanted to study at a Scottish uni they'd still have to pay. It might aswell be independent. Different laws, education, health etc

So unfair though....

Do something about it then! PEOPLE POWER.

Chances are y'all will vote those Tory pricks in AGAIN as well...and if there's no Scottish vote, it'll be a majority as well!" God help you!

Guest Rachelle of London

Do something about it then! PEOPLE POWER.

Chances are y'all will vote those Tory pricks in AGAIN as well...and if there's no Scottish vote, it'll be a majority as well!" God help you!

I'm moving to Scotland!

Guest Rachelle of London

No English immigrants allowed! y'all might mess up our monuments! :bad:

:dead:

I'll bring the Romanians from marble arch :lmao:

Omg I went to the best chippy in Dumfries when I was about 17. Wanna go back

I'm curious what, if Yes went through, would happen to my UK passport that I have through my mother having been born in Scotland though I'm Canadian. I've read that current passports would go until they're invalid and that Scots in the meantime would have the option of getting their own in addition, so what, I'd have three? :confused::rotfl:

As for EU membership, it's all over the place, first they said they'd automatically join, they won't, then they said they'd be "fast-tracked" through the UK's current membership, is that true? -- they'd get in eventually of course but it takes years to sort out international memberships, ratify basic international treaties, etc. all the shit you have to do to establish functional independent statehood to be eligible to ask to join.

Either way like Kim said I love to see everyone vote. And I don't think Scotland is going down the tubes anytime soon, Norway's doing just fine.

I'm curious what, if Yes went through, would happen to my UK passport that I have through my mother having been born in Scotland though I'm Canadian. I've read that current passports would go until they're invalid and that Scots in the meantime would have the option of getting their own in addition, so what, I'd have three? :confused::rotfl:

As for EU membership, it's all over the place, first they said they'd automatically join, they won't, then they said they'd be "fast-tracked" through the UK's current membership, is that true? -- they'd get in eventually of course but it takes years to sort out international memberships, ratify basic international treaties, etc. all the shit you have to do to establish functional independent statehood to be eligible to ask to join.

Dunno about your passport :rotfl: EU membership would be fast tracked no doubt, despite the usual scaremongering media reports to the contrary, this referendum is constitutionally underwritten by an international agreement that provides for territorial votes on separation (unlike Spain for example) 2016 wouldn't be unreasonable.

I vote YES ;)

:lol: Nessie, I remember when I first joined the forum - you was the first person that responded to one of my posts. You had an avatar of Nessie the Loch Ness Monster and I remember someone referring to you as being Scottish. :chuckle: Even though you talked about being from Brazil, they saw Nessie and ignored your words.

You gotta laugh at this, whatever ur vote :rotfl:

scot4.jpg

:rotfl::lmao: What a scary picture.

:lol: Nessie, I remember when I first joined the forum - you was the first person that responded to one of my posts. You had an avatar of Nessie the Loch Ness Monster and I remember someone referring to you as being Scottish. :chuckle: Even though you talked about being from Brazil, they saw Nessie and ignored your words.

:inlove::kiss2:

I'm a cryptid creature who loves Scotland! My lake deserves to be FREE!!! :D