Scotland independence

ADUSTIO

If they want to go, let them go. I have strong connections with Scotland, I even live with a Scott. Its pretty even in the polls but if they think they can branch off on their own let them do it. Its a lovely country.

If I were a Scott id be a little worried though. Once the oils gone in a few years and if we move Trident they might be fucked. Its up to them and I wish them good luck either way.

Guest Rachelle of London

Let them go. As Barney said once the oils gone they will wanna come back. It will affect Labour party though, most of their voters are scottish and may affect the military. I wish them luck. I would love to get a stamp on my passport if I went to Scotland.

How will it affect their benefits though? Will the UK taxes still be supporting them? The free tuition and NHS prescriptions etc? Thats what I'm confused about

Let them go. As Barney said once the oils gone they will wanna come back. It will affect Labour party though, most of their voters are scottish and may affect the military. I wish them luck. I would love to get a stamp on my passport if I went to Scotland.

How will it affect their benefits though? Will the UK taxes still be supporting them? The free tuition and NHS prescriptions etc? Thats what I'm confused about

I now Chelle, and I should hope not! We cant afford our own NHS let alone their prescriptions. The leader has got dodgy car salesman written all over him too. But its up to them. (I don't even think they could afford border control).

The oil's not going anywhere soon, nor are the other copious natural resources afforded the country, and independence means exactly that, total fiscal and economic autonomy.

However, I'm not discussing such a polarizing issue on a Madonna forum, except to say how awesome it is to see an end to the lazy complacency that so often typifies UK politics. To see the majority so galvanized into actually participating in democracy, with an unprecedented 80% or above turnout expected on Thursday, is wonderful.

scot1.jpg

And in the interests of neutrality....

scot2.jpg

I now Chelle, and I should hope not! We cant afford our own NHS let alone their prescriptions. The leader has got dodgy car salesman written all over him too. But its up to them. (I don't even think they could afford border control).

HOWEVER, if I need to read utterly ridiculous, ill-informed CRAP like this then yeah I WILL discuss it. Good grief.

Sorry Kim, didn't mean to upset, im all for it! I just hope things are put into place properly on both sides. You know you cant believe the blokes in suits all the time. I don't want Scotland to be left high and dry, raped if you will if they decide to go Indy. Im on your side here! Ive got family and friends there. I mustve typed it wrong. I also think its amazing that so many people are pulling together.

You've got to admit he looks like a dodgy car salesman though :lol:

Guest Rachelle of London

Sorry Kim, didn't mean to upset, im all for it! I just hope things are put into place properly on both sides. You know you cant believe the blokes in suits all the time. I don't want Scotland to be left high and dry, raped if you will if they decide to go Indy. Im on your side here! Ive got family and friends there. I mustve typed it wrong. I also think its amazing that so many people are pulling together.

I agree. I know that Scotland has the highest exports and probably can sustain themselves however, there is something iffy about that Salmon guy.

What will happen to tuition fees for Scottish students, prescriptions and benefits etc?

Cool. I'm not upset but it is a bit annoying to see the first few replies already perpetuating the old THEM AND US schtick, oh and I'll take Salmond over old rubberface Cameron anyday.

What will happen to tuition fees for Scottish students, prescriptions and benefits etc?

Education and health benefits are already devolved to the existing Scottish parliament. The money for that comes from Scotland's existing budget, not the rest of the UK's. As for other benefits, the proposal is that the current dismantling and raping of the welfare state currently being inflicted upon the whole of the UK by the Tories (and probably hitting the North of England (aka the benefits capital of the UK) the hardest) will be eradicated. Scotland, if independent, and being a left wing country with a deep rooted history for social justice, will then vote for a party - Labour, SNP or otherwise that shares those ideals.

The hilarious last minute scrabbling by Cameron, Milliband et al to offer Scotland MORE powers of government in the event of a "No" vote anyway (and you need to ask yourself WHY that is), may well have solidified the (narrow?) NO vote anyway, so all this is kind of moot to be honest.

Guest Rachelle of London

I always thought Scotland was the benefits capital of the UK, considering the small population and the high amount of benefit claimants. Havent unemployment rates in Scotland reached an all time high, leaving thousands of Scots on Job Seekers Allowance. Is it really the time to "go independent"

I think it would be a great experiment and would love to see Scotland do well as an independent nation, but think its rather naive to think that all their issues will be sorted out if they were independent from the rest of the UK.

No. Scotland's unemployment rate is at 6.5% compared to a 6.9% UK average. Wales, N.Ireland, London, Yorkshire & The Humber, North East (10.4%!!!), North West, West Midlands, East Midlands all currently with a higher percentage of unemployment than Scotland. (last I checked)

As for Scotland's future, I've no idea what it holds.

Guest Rachelle of London

No. Scotland's unemployment rate is at 6.5% compared to a 6.9% UK average. Wales, N.Ireland, London, Yorkshire & The Humber, North East (10.4%!!!), North West, West Midlands, East Midlands all currently with a higher percentage of unemployment than Scotland. (last I checked)

As for Scotland's future, I've no idea what it holds.

Well then!!! I personally think its good, as long as I get my scottish stamp I'm fine. The UK would lose a lot in exports and of course the armed forces

The rest of the UK shouldn't think it's good to be honest. The resulting economic instability, indeed the loss of Scotland oil revenues, the effect on the national deficit, the UK's standing in the international community, the threat of a Tory majority government, the continued rise of the UKIP etc aren't to be taken lightly. The only good thing would be that old Cameron's position would be completely untenable and his resignation would be forthcoming. To be the PM that reigned over the break up of the Union? Certainly history making stuff for all the wrong reasons. (hence his panicked and teary-eyed "please stay" speeches of the last week or so...)

I don't know enough about the underlying issues pertaining to Scotland separating, but I hope to visit there next year while I'm in the UK. My friend recently told me about how much he enjoyed his vacation in Scotland. He thought there were many interesting things to do & see.

I have already voted by post and decided to leave the country for the referendum to somewhere more politically stable, Israel. For interest, I voted no. I believe Scotland and the rest of the UK is better as a Union, and that there are far too many unanswered questions around the issue of independence.

I will sound very selfish, but i wish YES wins. Because we are having lots of problems with Catalonia in Spain, and i really wish another country is independent, so Catalonia separates too, because for the last 30 years all we have heard from Catalonia is how much they hate Spain and how much money they are giving to the rest of Spain and it really is negative for the spirit of a country.

So, if Scotland is independent, maybe Brussels and the rest of the countries see that it's not that big deal and other countries go the same route and we can all rest and live where we want to live without having to be in perpetual tension. In Spain we have Catalonia and Basque Country, where there was even a terrrourist group fighting for independence.

Guest Rachelle of London

This Scottish woman called up LBC saying she's voting yes. Then they asked her how she feels that she's gonna lose her British pension and she went silent. Then said. I'm gonna vote no.

:dead:

I will sound very selfish, but i wish YES wins. Because we are having lots of problems with Catalonia in Spain, and i really wish another country is independent, so Catalonia separates too, because for the last 30 years all we have heard from Catalonia is how much they hate Spain and how much money they are giving to the rest of Spain and it really is negative for the spirit of a country.

So, if Scotland is independent, maybe Brussels and the rest of the countries see that it's not that big deal and other countries go the same route and we can all rest and live where we want to live without having to be in perpetual tension. In Spain we have Catalonia and Basque Country, where there was even a terrrourist group fighting for independence.

Is Spain a democracy? Why doesn't the Spanish govt let the people of Catalonia decide their fate? The recent huge Catalonian marches have received a blanket ban on mainstream London-based UK media btw...should they "influence" the Scottish vote, as have gatherings of thousands across various Scottish cities, replaced with pics of 5 or 6 people holding placards. Couldn't make it up..

Where does the Lochness Monster stand on this issue Kim ;)

Like The Queen (Elizabeth 1st of Scotland) Nessie will not be drawn on such issues!

This Scottish woman called up LBC saying she's voting yes. Then they asked her how she feels that she's gonna lose her British pension and she went silent. Then said. I'm gonna vote no.

:dead:

Ignoring the obviously set-up phonecall, the mention of the loss of a so called "British pension" received your biggest LOL I hope? What IDIOT said that?

If the Yes wins this will give ideas to a lot of other countries. Brittany, Basque country, Corsica, Occitania will want their independence too here. In Italy i see the wealthy north asking to be independent. It's gonna be an epic mess :laugh::rotfl:

Good! Power to the people :bad:

Guest Rachelle of London

If the Yes wins this will give ideas to a lot of other countries. Brittany, Basque country, Corsica, Occitania will want their independence too here. In Italy i see the wealthy north asking to be independent. It's gonna be an epic mess :laugh::rotfl:

Will they be wanting to be bailed out when it all goes wrong :lmao:

I so want the yes campaign to win. I wanna see what happens.

Guest Rachelle of London

Is Spain a democracy? Why doesn't the Spanish govt let the people of Catalonia decide their fate? The recent huge Catalonian marches have received a blanket ban on mainstream London-based UK media btw...should they "influence" the Scottish vote, as have gatherings of thousands across various Scottish cities, replaced with pics of 5 or 6 people holding placards. Couldn't make it up..

Like The Queen (Elizabeth 1st of Scotland) Nessie will not be drawn on such issues!

Ignoring the obviously set-up phonecall, the mention of the loss of a so called "British pension" received your biggest LOL I hope? What IDIOT said that?

Gordon Brown!