Stuart Price and the Truth About Madonna's ‘Confessions’

Nikki

Stuart Price has an impressive resume and unprecedented aliases. He also joins the SHORTarrow-10x10.png list of regular Madonna contributors, first working with the pop icon on her Drowned World tour in 2001 and later producer her acclaimed 2005 dance RECORDarrow-10x10.png, Confessions on a DANCE FLOORarrow-10x10.png. Price recently spoke to THUMP’s Bruce Tantum about the experience of making the album nearly a decade ago.

Right before we made Confessions on a DANCE FLOORarrow-10x10.png, I had made a record with a girl named Juliet [2005’s Random Order]; we had made that album over Thanksgiving in New York, when the city was completely dead, and it was just the two of us concentrating on working on it. [i went] straight from that to Madonna, and I assumed that would be a much different experience, but she completely surprised me.

The real eye-opener was about how focused she was on avoiding the kind of over-the-top, excessive, entourage-in-the-studio environment that I had expected. It was the total opposite, really. She helped to create an environment where we were like two kids working together in a studio. It was exactly the same feeling as it was when I was working with Juliet. She was really… I don’t want to say “smart,” but she was really honest about music. She’s really instinctive in understanding that dance music comes from a very minimal way of working. It doesn’t come from throwing lots of MONEYarrow-10x10.png on a lavish production.

We spent five or six weeks in my apartment; the studio used to be upstairs in the loft. I would work on a track overnight, then she would come in and we’d start messing around. She would do vocal melodies and I would come up with a few ideas, and then she’d go, “Okay, I’m gonna go home and think about it.” Then she’d come back the next day and have the hook for “Hung Up” or the chorus for “Sorry.” Then I would carry on working on more tracks to keep us going. It was more of a really fluid and almost childlike environment than anything that seemed too serious.

They always say that an album sounds like the time that you had making it. I know that with that album, it was a super-productive time, but it was also really fun and natural. And I think that comes across in the way it sounds.

It’s surprising that Madonna has such a simple work MODEarrow-10x10.png. I would have expected her to come in with her full entourage and play the diva, at least to some extent.

Well, don’t get me wrong—I think in a lot of parts of her life, she is the big-entourage person. But when it comes to being creative, she’s unexpectedly low-key. She’s great to work with, and I really mean that.

Price’s latest release, Star Climbing, with band Zoot Woman is available now.

Written by: Stuart Price
Sep 15 2014

http://thump.vice.com/words/stuart-price-and-the-truth-about-madonnas-confessions

Uou, love it. It seems COADF just flew from them both. It shows. It is full of positive energy and creativity, but it sounds natural and not forced or immature. It felt like a grown up, sophisticated dancepop. Probably my fav album :)

It is a great album. I bought it my sister for Christmas when it came out. She said 'ive already got it, one for the house and one for the car'. It was a total word of mouth album because it was so good.

COADf is a fantastic record, due in part of Stuie. It's do fluid. I love the flow and lyrics and carefree attitude. It's Immaculate. I don't rank it high enough which is a shame.

I was surprised she never worked with Stuie again because they always had fantastic chemistry, and willing to work on anything that came their way.

Guest ditaluver

“Okay, I’m gonna go home and think about it.” Then she’d come back the next day and have the hook for “Hung Up” or the chorus for “Sorry.”

and its just so simple to her

Probably her second "worst" album in the grand scheme of things... nice concept I guess, but it didn't work for me at all.

I think what was missing was Madonna's "balls"... it was all a bit too samey and lacked any emotion or oomph all her other projects have had. Nice background music for twirling around the place in a robe or doing the housework though.

Edited by Bretticus

Uou, love it. It seems COADF just flew from them both. It shows. It is full of positive energy and creativity, but it sounds natural and not forced or immature. It felt like a grown up, sophisticated dancepop. Probably my fav album :)

It definitively is an awesome album and one of my favorites as well. It was so great to have a fully dance album after American Life (which is also an album of life :wow:)

I love reading these glimpses of how she works in the studio. Her producers always have this impression that she's going to be a total diva and I think they are surprised how hands on she is and how much she brings to the table in the creation of the music.

COADF is a special album - I felt it the first time I listened to it.

Thanks for posting :thumbsup:

Confessions is my fav Madonna's record ever. I was impressed the first time that I heard the full album and listening how the end of a song was the beginning of a new one.

Almost 10 years later, I'm still listening to it and I'm always finding a new sound, and a new interpretation.

10/10 :wow:

Probably my second least favorite album in the grand scheme of things... nice concept I guess, but it didn't work for me at all.

I think what was missing was Madonna's "balls"... it was all a bit too samey and lacked any emotion or oomph all her other projects have had. Nice background music for twirling around the place in a robe or doing the housework though.

Ah, that's better ;)

Once again, one of Madonna's former collaborators is commenting on how much Madonna contributes to the creation of her music. Watch the naysayers claim that Stuart is only being complimentary about her because he hopes to work with her again one day! He said years ago that Madonna had an incredible knack for being able to come up with a melody on the spot, and he's just reaffirmed her role in creating the melodies of her songs (i.e. the part that she sings). Madonna and Stuart stopped working together because Stuart advised her to work with Timbaland, Timberlake and Pharrell (since they were the ones producing the music that she loved the most at the time) - he knew that he couldn't give her what she wanted in terms of a particular sound, so he recommended that she work with them.

I wouldn't be surprised if Stuart and Madonna worked together again at some stage. They seemed to have a fantastic working relationship and he clearly has a great deal of respect for her in every way. As always, it's brilliant reading her collaborators praising her creative input!

Thanks for sharing, Nikki! :thumbsup:

^ I know. As if she's made it this far not being hands-on and totally engaged in her work.

Right?! It seems like Diplo had the same impression. Where is this coming from?? Everyone who has actually worked with her praises her work ethic and her musical knowledge.

Right?! It seems like Diplo had the same impression. Where is this coming from?? Everyone who has actually worked with her praises her work ethic and her musical knowledge.

And yet SO many people still think she's some talentless bimbo and that her producers are doing all the work. People from the medias and the general public still believe it, it's so ridiculous at this point.

Can't believe it was almost a decade ago, I will be honest when the album first leaked and my friends were going crazy about it, I was a bit 'meh' but it's grown on me... It's interesting reading about how the 2 of them worked on the album.

Once again, one of Madonna's former collaborators is commenting on how much Madonna contributes to the creation of her music. Watch the naysayers claim that Stuart is only being complimentary about her because he hopes to work with her again one day! He said years ago that Madonna had an incredible knack for being able to come up with a melody on the spot, and he's just reaffirmed her role in creating the melodies of her songs (i.e. the part that she sings). Madonna and Stuart stopped working together because Stuart advised her to work with Timbaland, Timberlake and Pharrell (since they were the ones producing the music that she loved the most at the time) - he knew that he couldn't give her what she wanted in terms of a particular sound, so he recommended that she work with them.

I wouldn't be surprised if Stuart and Madonna worked together again at some stage. They seemed to have a fantastic working relationship and he clearly has a great deal of respect for her in every way. As always, it's brilliant reading her collaborators praising her creative input!

Thanks for sharing, Nikki! :thumbsup:

Yes, all of the producers and co song-writers that have worked with Madonna always comment on how professional, intelligent, talented and pleasant she was to work with. Plus on top of that, how instinctive she is regarding song writing. Her talent for song writing and of course as a vocalist is too under-rated by both her critics and some of her fans.

Once again, one of Madonna's former collaborators is commenting on how much Madonna contributes to the creation of her music. Watch the naysayers claim that Stuart is only being complimentary about her because he hopes to work with her again one day! He said years ago that Madonna had an incredible knack for being able to come up with a melody on the spot, and he's just reaffirmed her role in creating the melodies of her songs (i.e. the part that she sings). :thumbsup:

Well 2manyDJ's/Soulwax are great friends with Stuart who used 2 b a resident DJ here in Ghent under his Jacques lu Cont alias...said they have nothing but respect for Madonna cuz Stuart told them what she's like as a producer & songwriter.

Also, those Swedes (?) who did Get Together said they were amazed when Madonna came up with

the melody of the song...like on the spot in the vocal booth.

Yes, all of the producers and co song-writers that have worked with Madonna always comment on how professional, intelligent, talented and pleasant she was to work with. Plus on top of that, how instinctive she is regarding song writing. Her talent for song writing and of course as a vocalist is too under-rated by both her critics and some of her fans.

Totally agree :thumbsup:

I wouldn't be surprised if Stuart and Madonna worked together again at some stage. They seemed to have a fantastic working relationship, and he clearly has a great deal of respect for her in every way.

I wouldn't be surprised either.

In fact, my ideal scenario for a Madonna album would be Madonna first writing the songs with Patrick Leonard and Joe Henry--and then producing them with Stuart Price.

I miss Stuart Price so much working with her.... not only did he do a GREAT job on COADF but also a great job working the Reinvention and Confessions Tours... he really made her vocals sound great, not to mention a genius at mixing and production.

I've said this before and I'll say it again, I wish she would keep him on hand as a producer/tour director, etc. I know he is probably busy, but I wish they could have this relationship because if anything, he considers her vocals a lot more than her producers of late have.

Edited by madmark