U2 album stunt on iTunes backfires. Should we be worried for M under Guy O'?

Jamesy

:clap:

All he is done for U2 is chase the dollar. He hasn't thought about the bigger picture. He is trying to come up with new ideas to

change music business but they are poorly executed. Now Apple have released a tool to remove the U2 album.

Talk about damage control. http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-29208540

My point exactly! :rotfl:

Well done Guy O & U2: the new album is dead already and no one has even heard the music! :lmao:

My point exactly! :rotfl:

Well done Guy O & U2: the new album is dead already and no one has even heard the music! :lmao:

I read an article where he said they are going to add 4 unreleased songs to the physical when it's released to help sales.

I mean really talk about clueless. Like that's going make people go into stores and pick up the physical.

Hope he doesn't screw up the release of the new M album

Guy O and Apple have scored a massive own goal. The consumer should have the choice, they should not have forced the

U2 album on to customers. Once you take away people's choice they get pissed. Thankfully Madonna wasn't involved in this mess

I get why people are annoyed over this, but I also think many have overreacted a bit. Either way, I hope that Madonna chooses a different promotional strategy because this really backfired.

That bundle deal she had in the US probably did a lot for MDNA but I see that people are still using it to dismiss her sales for the album.

I get why people are annoyed over this, but I also think many have overreacted a bit. Either way, I hope that Madonna chooses a different promotional strategy because this really backfired.

That bundle deal she had in the US probably did a lot for MDNA but I see that people are still using it to dismiss her sales for the album.

Well it's true.

The bundle was essential in the States dr her achieving the numbers, especially in the absence of a hit single.

^ Yup. Which is why I'm skeptical that without some kind of gimmick, she won't be able to surpass MDNA's numbers. If she's not going to capitalize on holiday sales, then she HAS to do something, otherwise this album will open with like 150K.

i'm pretty sure she wants to release her album closer to the tour to capitalize on the tour bundle strategy again. if something is proven to work then you do it again.

she should also work on a licensing deal to get a song from the album featured in a commercial for a product. an example would be to feature it in a campaign for a new phone or some other major tech product. samsung has a new phone coming out around march or april

The sad part about the MDNA tour bundle was that you got the censored version without Gang Bang, which was featured in the show. Of course the die hards already bought the deluxe, but the GP didn't get the true album. People are still trying to unload the CD on ebay!

MDNA actually finished as the 12th top selling album of 2012, with OFFICIALLY 1.8 million sold worldwide throught December 31st of that year

Not bad at all, thats more then the latest albums from Cher, Christina, Britney and Mariah COMBINED

Do a Beyonce :wow::sassy: except across ALL platforms, include amazon and google rather than just cuntTunes. Digital release first, then deluxe CD with video and exclusive CD only bonus track.

I'd really love that. I want a visual album. A film, with all the songs together. Kinda like secretproject, but not so intense.

I'd really love that. I want a visual album. A film, with all the songs together. Kinda like secretproject, but not so intense.

Yes, I totally agree with this but I'd be all for intense like secretproject! I think Madonna's at her best when she's at her most artistically creative and fearless and surprising.

where are people getting these stats?

There is an OFFICIAL biggest sellers of 2012 list that has,MDNA as #12 for the year, with 1.8 million sold

The Mediatradfic and Billboard lists only count sales of the album WHEN IT CHARTED neither,count sales when it didnt chart

The list has been posted on here numerous times

Can,someone post it?

There is an OFFICIAL biggest sellers of 2012 list that has,MDNA as #12 for the year, with 1.8 million sold

The Mediatradfic and Billboard lists only count sales of the album WHEN IT CHARTED neither,count sales when it didnt chart

The list has been posted on here numerous times

Can,someone post it?

hmmm...if, as you allege, she actually sold 1.8 million, that would mean that the album's listed on http://www.mediatraffic.de/albums-2012.htm from #16-23 would had to have not sold any copies when they didn't chart so that they wouldn't move up the list. otherwise they'd move at a rate similar to mdna.

also 1.8 million wouldn't put her at #12 on a world chart because it ranks #12 at 1.9 million. #13 is ranked at 1.8 million which means that album would had to have not sold any albums either when it didn't chart so that it could remain stagnant in its place.

i think some people are just too passionate and want to believe mdna was a bigger than it was so they'll go as far as making up facts or reporting erroneous charts without providing links to any such claims.

First off Im not making shit up, secondly I cant link on my phone and thirdly it has been posted numerous times on this forum, the list I was talking about

Also the UWC list only goes to the middle of Novermber and only counts sales when an album charts on their top 40 albums

So thr sales of MDNA the weeks it didnt make the top 40 WERE NOT counted and the 2012 sales year ended in mid Novermber, cutting out 6 weeks of Christmas sales

There is also a seprrate list from Universal music listing their top 10 selling albums of the year and MDNA is in the top 10 for UMG, with 1.8 million sold through the end of December 2012

MDNA was hardly a smash success, but it was nowhere near the flop the hateful media tried to make it

In fact, I cant think of another album by an over 50 artist that has sold as mamy copies worldwide

Streisand and Cher would love to have those sales

First off Im not making shit up, secondly I cant link on my phone and thirdly it has been posted numerous times on this forum, the list I was talking about

Also the UWC list only goes to the middle of Novermber and only counts sales when an album charts on their top 40 albums

So thr sales of MDNA the weeks it didnt make the top 40 WERE NOT counted and the 2012 sales year ended in mid Novermber, cutting out 6 weeks of Christmas sales

There is also a seprrate list from Universal music listing their top 10 selling albums of the year and MDNA is in the top 10 for UMG, with 1.8 million sold through the end of December 2012

MDNA was hardly a smash success, but it was nowhere near the flop the hateful media tried to make it

In fact, I cant think of another album by an over 50 artist that has sold as mamy copies worldwide

Streisand and Cher would love to have those sales

well if what you say is true, which i'm unsure since no links have been posted to verify any of this, the UWC lists Rod Stewart's "Merry Christmas Baby" as having 1.6M in sales. i googled it and seen that album was released in october. so if the UWC only goes to the middle of november, then within 1.5 months Rod Stewart out sold outsold MDNA, not counting the holiday season like you said. so since its a christmas album, it had to have done way more in sales after the middle of november. so if mdna did sell 1.8M copies, it only sold 200,000 more than a christmas album from a guy who hasn't had a hit in decades. that's bad

bruce springsteen even sold 1.6m with his 2012 album.

mdna could've been successful, she performed at the superbowl and at that time it was the most watched event on tv ever. if that didn't get her sales then clearly the album wasn't good.

also if the UWC cut off at the middle of november, then rihanna's unapologetic album shouldn't be on there. it was released november 19th but its on the UWC with 1.6m copies sold. that's if we want to compare pop acts instead of bringing up the age issue like you did

hmmm...if, as you allege, she actually sold 1.8 million, that would mean that the album's listed on http://www.mediatraffic.de/albums-2012.htm from #16-23 would had to have not sold any copies when they didn't chart so that they wouldn't move up the list. otherwise they'd move at a rate similar to mdna.

also 1.8 million wouldn't put her at #12 on a world chart because it ranks #12 at 1.9 million. #13 is ranked at 1.8 million which means that album would had to have not sold any albums either when it didn't chart so that it could remain stagnant in its place.

i think some people are just too passionate and want to believe mdna was a bigger than it was so they'll go as far as making up facts or reporting erroneous charts without providing links to any such claims.

Its figures from IFPI

http://www.ukmix.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=97046

I believe some people live in an alternate reality want to believe its 2000 when music stores where everywhere and album sales like.....mattered. The difference between Madonna at #12 and the artist listed at #50 is 800,000 copies. With numbers like that, whats the point in making up sales figures? That's fucking stupid. One, two, three million......it's all shit and the biggest artists of the moment are struggling to sell much over 3 million copies worldwide......have a peek at the Katy and Beyoncé figures. And because clearly you need perspective, check out the Mariah and Britney figures for their latest.

well if what you say is true, which i'm unsure since no links have been posted to verify any of this, the UWC lists Rod Stewart's "Merry Christmas Baby" as having 1.6M in sales. i googled it and seen that album was released in october. so if the UWC only goes to the middle of november, then within 1.5 months Rod Stewart out sold outsold MDNA, not counting the holiday season like you said. so since its a christmas album, it had to have done way more in sales after the middle of november. so if mdna did sell 1.8M copies, it only sold 200,000 more than a christmas album from a guy who hasn't had a hit in decades. that's bad

mdna could've been successful, she performed at the superbowl and at that time it was the most watched event on tv ever. if that didn't get her sales then clearly the album wasn't good.

also if the UWC cut off at the middle of november, then rihanna's unapologetic album shouldn't be on there. it was released november 19th but its on the UWC with 1.6m copies sold. that's if we want to compare pop acts instead of bringing up the age issue like you did

So when an album sells 3 million copies does that make it "clearly" good? Lol 4 million? 10 million? How much does an album have to sell to be good?

Also, you have to be a god damn fool to not realize that her age does play a role in her public reception these days. Again, welcome to 2014.....Madonna is 56. You have no perspective whatsoever.

Jamesrussle, just to clarify, MDNA was released months later after SuperBowl, not a day later. MDNA had zero promo! Those albums you've mentioned had promo.

the superbowl was february and mdna came out in march. however, pre-orders for mdna began within days after her superbowl performance. so the public was able to pre-order the album immediately.

Jamesrussle, you are fairly new to this board and already you are rubbing people up the wrong way.

Your replies come off as rude and irritating.

People on here are not in the habit of making up facts and figures just to make Madonna's album sales and chart positions look better . Please show some respect.

You can't be THAT clueless right? The Superbowl show was basically presented as a greatest hits show and GMAYL, the only new single performed, is one of the worst songs on the album. Since when are sales a proof of quality? A lot of amazing albums flopped and a lot of shit smashed so your point is invalid.

Jamesrussle, you are fairly new to this board and already you are rubbing people up the wrong way.

Your replies come off as rude and irritating.

People on here are not in the habit of making up facts and figures just to make Madonna's album sales and chart positions look better . Please show some respect.

Right?

So when an album sells 3 million copies does that make it "clearly" good? Lol 4 million? 10 million? How much does an album have to sell to be good?

Also, you have to be a god damn fool to not realize that her age does play a role in her public reception these days. Again, welcome to 2014.....Madonna is 56. You have no perspective whatsoever.

Exactly! As if a 56 year old woman would sell as much as younger pop acts those days, mostly in singles. Some people really need to understand the music industry better before making judgements.