Best-Selling Female Artist

GroovyGirl

BxHGaTaIYAA9WG9.jpg

Naturally, Best Selling Female Artist @Madonna makes an appearance in our new #gwr60 book, out this week! pic.twitter.com/wMPqQxlwbU

it's official! ciccone is still the best-selling female artist in the world!! 2nd to none! bad ass!

https://twitter.com/GWR/status/509436384935821312

why does it matter if it reads records or albums, holidayguy? that fact is, she's sold over 300,000,000 recordings and it is, once again, reported in the guinness book of world records.

i saw this posted on two different madonna sites and wanted to share it here. gbwr just reported this today. the new book comes out tomorrow.

try and be happy for the mighty ciccone!

Albums and records are two completely different things. It's misleading if you report the wrong one. Although nowadays, sales totals are not even accurate by a long shot. Times have changed.

Can somebody PLEASE forward this info to Mimi......apparently nobody has bothered sharing this news with her the last 15+ yrs that Guiness has named Madonna most successful female artist because Mimi is STILL under the illusion she is.

On second thought, just forward it to her manager to break the news so they can make sure Mariah is far away from the plates when she hears this terrible exclusive.

BxHGaTaIYAA9WG9.jpg

Naturally, Best Selling Female Artist @Madonna makes an appearance in our new #gwr60 book, out this week! pic.twitter.com/wMPqQxlwbU

It's official! Ciccone is still the best-selling female artist in the world!! 2nd to none! bad ass!

https://twitter.com/GWR/status/509436384935821312

:clap::clap::clap:

large.jpg

giphy.gif

tumblr_myxoudnYo21qljse3o1_500.gif

Thanks for sharing GroovyGirl :gent:

Can somebody PLEASE forward this info to Mimi......apparently nobody has bothered sharing this news with her the last 15+ yrs that Guiness has named Madonna most successful female artist because Mimi is STILL under the illusion she is.

On second thought, just forward it to her manager to break the news so they can make sure Mariah is far away from the plates when she hears this terrible exclusive.

:chuckle::thumbsup:

tumblr_m0lim9guUQ1r6ev9l.gif

Yes misprint or not (should be records, not albums), Guinness World Records is an official source and one that can be cited. Expect to see this "300 million ALBUMS" figure on Wikipedia lists and other media in the future.

Oh, yes- not disputing that M is tops, just that the wording should be better.

I wonder if these reported highs of recent years represent something a tad different than what Forbes used to post for top earners. For instance, back from 1990-91, which reported gross earnings (New Kids on the Block was tops, with $115m):

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1891&dat=19910913&id=wKkfAAAAIBAJ&sjid=htYEAAAAIBAJ&pg=1501,1699571

I had the 1990 edition of Guiness as a kid and even in that she was listed for (I think) highest selling album by a female for TB. When was the first time she was actually listed as best selling female artist of all time though? I feel like she's been listed as "most successful" for many years.

I had the 1990 edition of Guiness as a kid and even in that she was listed for (I think) highest selling album by a female for TB. When was the first time she was actually listed as best selling female artist of all time though? I feel like she's been listed as "most successful" for many years.

me too, I used to collect them as a child, I still remember the 94 issue with Madonna's webpage listed in it haha

Only the Queen!

I hope Mimi stops spreading lies now. Someone should tweet this @ her.

they have been. ciccone's fans are on it. if you click the link to the twitter page n scroll down, it shows where they've tagged mimiphant. lol

It's such an amazing accomplishment :wow:

And yeah, it's important to make the difference between records and albums. Mostly in the digital era since it easier to sell a lot of individual records a lot quicker.

• 3 weeks later...

they've updated their site!

http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/world-records/8000/best-selling-female-recording-artist

Madonna (USA, b. Madonna Ciccone) has sold more than 300 million albums in her career since debuting with her self-titled release in 1983.

As of October 2013, Madonna had sold an estimated 305,600,000 albums. Her best-sellers are The Immaculate Collection (1990, 30 million copies sold) and True Blue (1986, 25 million copies sold).

Although precise sales figures are difficult to obtain and are often disputed, it is acknowledged that only The Beatles, Elvis Presley and Michael Jackson have conclusively sold more albums worldwide than Madonna.

Among female artists, Mariah Carey (USA), Celine Dion (Canada) and Whitney Houston (USA, 1963-2012) all have total worldwide album sales estimated at 200 million units.

In addition to her phenomenal album sales, Madonna's earnings of $125 m (£82 m) for the period from June 2012 to June 2013 were the highest annual earnings ever for a female pop star, dwarfing those of previous record holder Celine Dion, whose earnings amounted to $56 m ($80 m, or £49 m, today) in 1998.

BEST-SELLING FEMALE RECORDING ARTIST

Next RecordPrevious Record

website-holding_shot-tiles.jpg
FOR THE RECORD
  • WHO:MADONNA CICCONE

• WHAT:BEST-SELLING FEMALE RECORDING ARTIST

• WHERE:UNITED STA