Mother and Father. Good as it is or wasted opportunity?

karbatal

This song was playing over the sound system in the record store when the doors opened at 9:59am the morning American Life was released and I instantly knew i was about to experience something incredible!

Guest Pud Whacker

I'm sometimes divided about Mother and Father. I like it when Madonna does weird things and I like the song. But sometimes i feel that it had much more potential and could easily have been a hit, if they had worked it properly into another direction.

Mother and Father has a good production, but lacks a bit of energy at first. Her voice doesnt' help there. I love the fact that she uses that eerie/creepy little girl voice there, a voice that shows the hysteria of a girl which world is falling apart. But if the lyrics had been different, more about accepting reality and looking for someone that she can care for...

At the end of the song, when she sings "find somebody to loveeeee", you can hear that 80s Madonna in Ciconne/Bray songs. That direction could have been so great. 2003 was the year when the 80s were everywhere, Madonna even did that Into the Groove vs. Hollywood mashup.

What do you think?

A single? 😝

Cause Oh Father did so well on the charts?

Guest bluejean

A single? 😝

Cause Oh Father did so well on the charts?

Well every single from American Life flopped WAY harder than Oh Father. Food for thought.

I like the lyrics of the rap too. Maybe because English is not my mother language i can't feel if some lines are dorky or not. I especially like the part

I made a vow that i would never

love another person ever

turn my heart into a cage

a victim of a kind of rage.

Because i think many of us have done that too.

I LOVE this song and don't find it weird at all! It was one of my favorites when the album came out. The part everyone is referring to about "my father had to go to work..." she is saying " I USED TO think he was a jerk" is obviously talking about the past at that time when it happened, and how as a child she didn't know his heart was broken (she was a child and hadn't experienced love yet to understand). It is nothing negative against her father but rather against herself because she wasn't able to understand how devastating it was on her father to lose his wife and is expressing in a way she feels bad about that.

RIT version was amazing! And in I'm Going To Tell You A Secret, seeing her family there watching is just awesome!