LIES: fake, non-story from some internet nobody about Madonna & WB in 1994

Fuzzy Dream

Yes, I know it's from Angela Cheng (ugh), but the article does contain some interesting info if any of it is actually true.

Madonna almost dropped from Warner Brothers in 1994

First, I am glad that my prediction (and it was only a prediction, folks) about Madonna singing the song for “The Giver” never came true. The movie was terrible. It was a flop. It’s a good thing that Madonna had nothing to do with the movie, though she was definitely asked to contribute to the soundtrack.

Second, I have received at least 500 emails asking me about Madonna’s next album. I have no details about it, unfortunately. All I know is that Interscope wants to release it in November in order to take advantage of the winter sales. It’s actually a good idea.

Even if Madonna doesn’t release an album this year, her fans can be happy that she is still recording music. I can exclusively tell you that Madonna’s musical career almost came to a complete stop in 1994, when Warner Brothers was considering dropping Madge and her label, Maverick, which was underperforming.

Madonna’s musical career did rebound with the “I’ll Remember” single, the Bedtime Stories album and, especially, the amazing Ray of Light album. She owes the surprise success of her label Maverick to Guy Oseary. Had she been dropped by Warner Brothers in 1994, it’s doubtful another record company would pick up what many described as “damaged goods.”

Let’s go back to 1992. Everything was going absolutely perfect in Madonnaland, until she decided to release her book Sex. Warner Brothers was completely against this book. Madonna’s manager, Freddy DeMann, secretly agreed with Warner Brothers. Behind the scenes, Madonna’s longtime publicist Liz Rosenberg was telling people that Madonna was about to make a mistake she would soon come to regret. However, Madonna was such a powerful force that nobody could deny what she wanted. She released the book and the backlash happened.

Madonna will probably never admit just how bad the backlash was, but it was horrific. Madonna’s life was threatened and half of her staff were forced to quit in order to protect their lives. Madonna’s father was severely beaten in a parking lot when going shopping in January of 1993. Madonna’s siblings received several death threats. Madonna’s manger was threatened. Warner Brothers, in Burbank, received several bomb threats. They never went public with the threats, because that would have produced more threats.

The album Erotica, now considered a masterpiece, got lost in the backlash. The album initially shipped over 2 million copies, but many of those unsold copies were shipped back. Radio programmers were besieged with callers asking them not to play any of Madonna’s songs. Madonna, who was initially in denial about the backlash, confronted Warner Brothers chairman Mo Ostin and asked him why Warner Brothers wasn’t supporting her. “Do you realize that you just threw away your career and legacy,” he answered. Madonna, reportedly, was in tears.

Some say Madonna was brave to tour in the midst of–perhaps–the biggest celebrity backlash in entertainment history. But it wasn’t Madonna’s decision; Warner Brothers wanted to get back some of the money they invested in her multi-million dollar deal earlier in 1992. They thought that Madonna would be worthless within a couple of years. Reluctantly, Madonna started her Girlie Show World Tour. It sold far more tickets than anybody ever expected. But Warner Brothers still wasn’t Madonna friendly.

In August of 1993, Madonna demanded that the record company finance the release of a new single and video called “Bye Bye Baby.” Her latest single “Rain” received a pretty decent response, despite the album Erotica being declared dead. Warner Brothers refused her request and Madonna was furious. The woman who ruled the world one year earlier was asked to leave the premises and threatened with security guards. Yes, it was that bad! Alek Keshishian, who was directing the Warner Brothers film With Honors in Chicago, called the next day and asked the record company to let Madonna sing the theme song to his film.

Producer Patrick Leonard, who wanted nothing to do with Madonna anymore, reluctantly agreed to put the song together so Madonna could record it in January of 1994–right after the end of her upcoming world tour. Madonna and Patrick Leonard rekindled their friendship during the short recording session. The song was released to radio during the second week of March in 1994.

Initially, “I’ll Remember” was well received. But when Madonna appeared on David Letterman’s show later that month, all hope was lost. Radio stations started slowing rotation of the song. The night of April 7, 1994, Freddy DeMann (not Madonna) received a call informing him that Warner Brothers cancelled their street team promotion of “I’ll Remember” and that the label has no interest in releasing her next album. In other words, they wanted to drop her.

However, there were legal issues involved, especially with Madonna’s contract and Maverick label. On April 8, DeMann–without even informing Madonna of the call–went to Warner Brothers and had harsh words with Mo Ostin, who actually resigned from the label a couple months later. The conversation was about how people deserve second chances. He convinced Ostin that Madonna would tone down her image and was currently working on what would be her best album to date (he lied). The conversation is one of two things that saved Madonna from being dropped into obscurity.

The second thing that saved Madonna was the fact that despite the backlash from her David Letterman appearance, “I’ll Remember” became a huge hit. It peaked at number two for four weeks and proved that Madonna had some life left in her. Madonna then started a campaign to change her image and let Warner Brothers know that they wouldn’t have to worry about her being oversexed.

Something else happened, thanks to Guy Oseary. He signed the group Candlebox to Maverick Records, which ended up turning profits for the label. He soon signed Alanis Morisette to Maverick, which helped even more. Madonna worked hard behind the scenes to help Maverick as well, but it was Guy Oseary’s decisions that really made the label a success.

Within the next year, Madonna released Bedtime Stories, had another number one song and signed on to play the starring role in the movie Evita. By the release of Ray of Light in 1998, Warner Brothers probably regretted almost dropping their biggest star.

Link: removed

Edited by Hector
link removed, mnation will not link and help direct webtraffic there!

Since the writer is a cunt--I cannot appreciate any of the authentic details in the piece. Although, the reality is, things really were dire for Madonna then--her tour didn't even bother to go to any other major cities in the states. Madonna was mad at America's hypocritical attitude about human sexuality. And of course, the crowd was tough.

Madonna’s life was threatened and half of her staff were forced to quit in order to protect their lives. Madonna’s father was severely beaten in a parking lot when going shopping in January of 1993. Madonna’s siblings received several death threats. Madonna’s manger was threatened. Warner Brothers, in Burbank, received several bomb threats. They never went public with the threats, because that would have produced more threats.

Is this even truen??

Yeah yeah, Madonna's dad was beaten up and her siblings got death threats cos Madonna flashed her pussy :rotfl: No other record co. would want poor old MOST FAMOUS STAR IN THE WORLD Madonna, WB forced Madonna to tour The Girlie Show and recoup some money with her whopping TWO CITY stop in the US. etc etc etc

Someone put this idiot out its misery.

I guess you had to be around in 1992-93 to understand just how bad things were. Someone could literally shoot Madonna in the head and get away with it. History is always rewritten and people actually believe that 1992-94 were creative and glorious years for the Madonna empire. They weren't.

Freddy de Mann brought Alanis to Maverick not Guy. In april of 1994 Madonna was already recording Bedtime Stories with Warner's money. The only thing Warner did was asking her to tone down what she had recorded first that had a more hip hop feel and vetoed the 2Pac featuring on "I'd rather be your lover".

I guess you had to be around in 1992-93 to understand just how bad things were. Someone could literally shoot Madonna in the head and get away with it. History is always rewritten and people actually believe that 1992-94 were creative and glorious years for the Madonna empire. They weren't.

Maybe for the US but not for the rest of the world ,i was around and it was fabulous

Okay, I'm glad to hear that the article isn't true. I wasn't around in 1994, so all I know about the time period is from what I've read in old newspaper articles and magazine interviews. Again, happy to hear that this is fake and just Angela Cheng being a troll again instead of actual info.

Angela is back having digs at Madonna again. How transparent. Why does this troll get so much attention ?

That's why I was never on board w/ this "Queen Angela" crap. That person is weird.

Say it again w/ me everybody:

MADONNA NEVER HAD A FLOP. Do I have to put it in my avatar?

Her career was fine in 1992. It was fine in 1994. Yeah, there was backlash, but Erotica was not a flop. I bought SO MUCH Madonna stuff during Erotica period. Records from all over the world, posters, stickers, remixes, buttons, keychains lol she was everywhere.

So much stupid shit in this article. Madonna ordered off Warner lot, in tears after being told her career was destroyed and this gem..

Madonna’s father was severely beaten in a parking lot when going shopping in January of 1993.

LOL WHAT?

People rewriting history annoy me.

That's all such a bunch of bullshit. Oh lord. M was still HUGE in the UK, there wasn't really a backlash. People queued down the street to buy SEX and EROTICA (the video) had its own spot on TV. M played her album with a really long interview on radio 1. The girlie show sold out stadiums.

Nearly dropped? my arse. Whats Alanis got to do with any of it? Erotica came out in 92, Maverick released Jagged in 95. That's 3 years.

I can not stand this Angela Cheng character. Never did. It's as annoying as Gaga, as funny as Chelsea Handler, as believable as Piers Morgan. :evil:

<3 THIS

That's all such a bunch of bullshit. Oh lord. M was still HUGE in the UK, there wasn't really a backlash. People queued down the street to buy SEX and EROTICA (the video) had its own spot on TV. M played her album with a really long interview on radio 1. The girlie show sold out stadiums.

Nearly dropped? my arse.

EXACTLY. THE PRESS HATED her... And majority of the time, if the PRESS hates someone, they assume EVERYBODY DOES

Since the writer is a cunt--I cannot appreciate any of the authentic details in the piece. Although, the reality is, things really were dire for Madonna then--her tour didn't even bother to go to any other major cities in the states. Madonna was mad at America's hypocritical attitude about human sexuality. And of course, the crowd was tough.

Yeah Madonna didn't tour the states much, but guess what? Try getting seats at one of those shows. People loved to hate her or hated to love her, whichever. Fact is, the haters have always been such hypocrites. I told the story b4. I was at one of the few Girlie Shows in the US. These 2 old women were talking shit b4 the show but the moment it started, dang-near pushed me out of my seat to get the best view. They remained planted all night, even cheered and clapped lol

The arenas were packed. Flop.. yeah right.

Lies or not.. truth is Madonna was really hated back then. That hate turned into some form of obsession for the media.. early circulations that her career was apparently over started back then after all.

Also, Erotica was really overlooked because of the Sex book. Ideally, Madonna would have had major hits with Deeper And Deeper and Bad Girls but both failed to inflame the charts..Erotica also failed to hit the number one spot and we are talking about a woman that put on top Vogue, Justify My Love and This Used To Be My Playground in about two years.

I remember watching a documentary where Nikki Harris confirmed "the threats" but she did not reveal if members of Madonna's family were involved.

There was so much going on during this period of her career and life that no one is the wiser really. I don't think Warner Brothers wanted to get rid of her but maybe some one higher up felt so disgusted about the Sex book they might have asked Warners to finish her career not for the lack of commercial success but because she was seen as a depraved immoral human being.

I am sure you guys have already read a lot of biographies on Madonna but i always find interesting that they really don't say much about this era..i mean if anything it's the era i am more intrigued about. Even Christopher's book did not say much about it.. so it kind of makes me think if there's a confidentiality agreement in which to never reveal what really went on behind closed doors.

Maybe for the US but not for the rest of the world ,i was around and it was fabulous

That's untrue, the backlash she received was INTERNATIONAL. The UK press especially was very nasty to her as well during this time, and constant articles about her career being dead were in the papers every single day. Erotica also under-performed in all markets Madonna had been strong in up to that point.

The US is her home turf, so maybe the backlash there is the best documented, but outside of maybe France and Australia (thanks in large to the Girlie Show coming there), most of the international press and casual musing buying public shunned her during this time.

The press has FOREVER been hateful to Madonna. Still is. It's just that during the Erotica era the press thought the people were on their side. And perhaps they were. But it didn't last long. After the Girlie Show aired on tv, you could actually feel Madonna turning the general public back around to her side.