Is American Life Album underrated just because of its sales!

Jumpb4uthink

I love American Life. It's constantly rotating in my top 5 favorite Madonna albums. I'm listening to it a lot lately.

This is one of those albums that, to me, is sooooo intimate that it listen almost exclusively on headphones or alone in my car. What can I say? I'm selfish.

Lyrically and melodically, completely unique in her canon.

Those people who don't like it, or don't get it, or didn't buy it; they don't know what they're missing. This album is an hour long therapy session.

It's beautiful, mystical, organic, acoustic, electronic, and most of all, brave.

Um where are your anal sex tips for women? Post some immediately or I'll ban you.

I just didn't really understand the relevance of your post for this topic. Not sure if that's the way things go in here but if it is well :lmao: Let me dig out some close-ups of my anus since I can't really give any anal instructions for women. Maybe that will please you? :lol: I lack that kind of experience apart from the fact that I'm a man, lol.

From the very first day I bought it when it came out till now I love American Life. The first single, was a disaster. It was no surprise to me at the time the album didn't do well with that lead single. I am not that keen on Music as an album, American Life is much better. Better songs better flow everything fits in perfectly

I'm now in a total AL mood thanks to this thread and some other stuff!

To the user 'TriggerMGee', Sending nasty PMs isn't the way we work on this board. If you want to tell a "fucking idiot" like me how much American Life "SUCKS" then do it here on the relevant thread instead of clogging up my inbox with your shit. I made the mistake of giving a suspected troll some leeway one before, but not this time. No doubt you crawled here from one of those other shitty Madonna boards that encourages, nay, makes it mandatory to be a nasty little troll. I can see from your other posts that that's most likely exactly what you are. Well, that won't be tolerated here.

That was the 'nice' version.

Guest Rachelle of London

To the user 'TriggerMGee', Sending nasty PMs isn't the way we work on this board. If you want to tell a "fucking idiot" like me how much American Life "SUCKS" then do it here on the relevant thread instead of clogging up my inbox with your shit. I made the mistake of giving a suspected troll some leeway one before, but not this time. No doubt you crawled here from one of those other shitty Madonna boards that encourages, nay, makes it mandatory to be a nasty little troll. I can see from your other posts that that's most likely exactly what you are. Well, that won't be tolerated here.

Ewww who PMs someone abuse because they like an album you don't. What a loser!!!! You have to question the sanity of some people at times I swear

It's simply amazing to find, here on this discussion board, so many women like myself who 'burn in the bum'. And I'm happily astounded to discover, for the first time in my life, that there are lots of ladies who regularly engage in anal intercourse without shame.

But I've had trouble convincing my gentleman friend to give it a go, and I'd like some advice.

Please allow me to tell my story. I'm 38 years old, and currently in the process of ending a 17-year marriage. From time to time, I used to ask my husband if he'd like to try anal sex. His answer was always that this act could only be for the man's enjoyment, since a woman can't experience pleasure there; he said that if he were to do this to me, it would be an assault on my dignity as a woman and very sexist to boot.

From a very young age, I felt a sometimes dizzying urge to be penetrated in my anus, and I was afraid there might not be another woman like me. In sexual matters I felt quite alone in the world. What I read about lovemaking never mentioned anal sex except as a homosexual practice. When I thought too much about it, I wondered if I might really be a gay man in a woman's body. Though I felt very ashamed of it, I couldn't help putting a finger into my behind sometimes. I had my first orgasms like this.

About 9 years ago I bought a vibrator, and one night when my husband was away and my 2 children asleep I stuck it into my bum. A choir of angels sang all around me: almost right away I had an orgasm that shook my whole body and left my hand almost too weak to hold the vibrator. I could move it just a little, and I came again. I did all I could to keep from screaming because I didn't want to wake the children.

When I masturbate (I've done so frequently since I turned 30), my only activity is to put the vibrator in my rear. If anything it has become more and more explosive, and I so wish to feel a man in me back there.

Though I never mentioned the vibrator to my husband -- he would have strongly disapproved of it -- I did communicate my anal cravings to him. He said it was not in his nature to participate in the physical degradation of a woman, especially not his own wife.

Thank God the divorce is progressing. I'm happy to have begun a few months ago a discreet liaison with a wonderful man, 2 years younger than I; he's very tender and sensuous, and extremely eager to please me in bed. We do a lot together, all of it truly delightful: for example, I've discovered the pure joy of swallowing his sperm, as though I'm ingesting the intimate taste and heat of his very essence. Most often we do 69, which is a new treat for both of us. I find it fully satisfying; I also love making love to him in the traditional fashion, while waiting for the crown jewel of anal sex.

But when I offer him my behind, even if I speak plainly about my experiments with the vibrator, he gets pretty uncomfortable. Because of a single experience when he was young, with a girl he knew in school, he's afraid of hurting me despite my strongest reassurances.

I'm quite sure he has only the best in mind for me; but I'm on fire for the anal ecstasy that he won't give me, which was also sorely missing from an overlong marriage.

To those still reading, I apologise for the length of this posting. I couldn't begin to express how good it feels to finally speak freely about such a delicate and personal matter. I will appreciate any and all advice from the fabulous ladies who post to this discussion board.

Here, then, is my question: How do I convince this adorable man that I would only feel his deepest, most sensitive love for me if he were to ram his rock-hard prick all the way up my red-hot virgin arse?

She should definitely try his rock hard prick in her red-hot virgin arse while playing Like A Virgin :queenbitch:

Not really surprised to be quite honest. That's totally his style.

Guest bluejean

No!

It's a good album but with great tracks but there's some real filler and it lacks great hit singles. When the best single is a leftover from the last album it's time to go back to the drawing board.

I played it last night with a friend & it still sounds so amazing!

There is NO filler whatsoever, the album is fucking tight & it should b

listened 2 in it's entirety...

NKM should have gotten the classic 12" treatment :inlove:

I remember a time when US fans really didn't like AL, some even hated it... so don't you say under-rated by whom !

That was the time when people thought she was anti-patriotic... and yes it threw a shadow over this fabulous record.

Did it grow with time on you ? I guess it did... or maybe these fans left the forum ? there were plenty of them...

Yes, the albums is absolutely great.

I remember a time when US fans really didn't like AL, some even hated it... so don't you say under-rated by whom !

That was the time when people thought she was anti-patriotic... and yes it threw a shadow over this fabulous record.

Did it grow with time on you ? I guess it did... or maybe these fans left the forum ? there were plenty of them...

Yes, the albums is absolutely great.

This is what bothers me about the never-ending "AL" debate: The false narratives that 1) "American Life"'s unpopularity was limited to America and 2) that large numbers of diehard fans were turned off by the politics of it all.

1) Just look at the numbers: "Music" sold 12 million copies outside the United States, "American Life" sold four million copies outside the U.S. Moreover, "Music" got glowing reviews and showered with awards while "American Life" got mixed reviews and won virtually no awards.

Simply put: The album's unpopularity wasn't an American phenomenon.

2) As for the album's politics -- Well, it's been a long time since the album was released, but as I said earlier in this thread: I am certainly not the only fan here who was a diehard and was visiting Madonna forums at the time of "AL"'s release. Can anyone remember there being large numbers of fans who said they didn't like it because of the politics? I certainly can't. (We are, after all, Madonna fans. We're an overwhelmingly liberal community.)

I remember a lot more fans bitching about how much the latte rap sucked than about her taking an anti-war position. I remember them bitching about how bad the rhyme scheme was on "NKM" or how "X-Static Process" was dull. I also remember a lot of fans bitching about how disappointed they were that she pulled the original video for the flag video -- because the "Madonna they knew" would never chicken out like that or how she'd "gone soft."

A lot of fans were very disappointed, but I don't recall any of them being disappointed that she wanted to take on the war.

I just testify here, I'm not debating. I remember that a lot of US fans, more than others, did hate AL at that time.

I'm glad to see most of fans loving it right now (music critics seem to have gone...)

Of course AL didn't do well commercially and had mixed reviews almost everywhere (also because of the political debate), but yes, there was something specific with the US. From outside the US, I can tell you were were watching bad reviews even on TV coming from America that were very harsh... Much than from anywhere else...

#denial

As if Americans were sitting around discussing Madonna's political views on American Life's release week and whether or not to buy her new album because of it. Who knew she was releasing anything anyway? American Life is only divisive among some drama queens because no one else gave an F either way.

Guest Rachelle of London

I just testify here, I'm not debating. I remember that a lot of US fans, more than others, did hate AL at that time.

I'm glad to see most of fans loving it right now (music critics seem to have gone...)

Of course AL didn't do well commercially and had mixed reviews almost everywhere (also because of the political debate), but yes, there was something specific with the US. From outside the US, I can tell you were were watching bad reviews even on TV coming from America that were very harsh... Much than from anywhere else...

#denial

I remember when fans were insulted that she called the song and album American life and using the basis that at the time she lived in Britain had no clue what she was talking about.

Question to the fans who came post AL, do you love it?

It was one of the reasons I fell in love with M. I listened to it around the COADF time and realized what a beautiful this album unheard for me was. I'm thinking maybe newer fans tend to appreciate the album more than those who were already fans when it was released.

There are a few good tracks but overall it's a bleak album signalling a creative lull on M's part.

Guest bluejean

There were also a lot of fans claiming that radio was boycotting playing her music because Clear Channel didn't agree with her political stance blah blah blah.

Sorry but the single American life didn't have mainstream appeal. Lyrically it didn't connect with people and the song wasn't lead single material. None of the songs on the album were. Which was the main problem. Hollywood is catchy but it's totally second or third single material. The song American Life doesn't have that wow factor of a Like a prayer, Vogue, Music, Frozen, Hung Up etc. How people cannot see that I don't know.

And that is not to say that I did not like the song but ALOT of people, casual listeners as well found the sound quite weak and not up to Madonna's standards. Critics were not fond of it either. Pulling the video was the final nail in it's coffin.

The whole politics thing is bullshit, at least as far as the music is concerned, if it hadn't been for that video...

nobody would have mentioned the word politics in this thread.

There were also a lot of fans claiming that radio was boycotting playing her music because Clear Channel didn't agree with her political stance blah blah blah.

Sorry but the single American life didn't have mainstream appeal. Lyrically it didn't connect with people and the song wasn't lead single material. None of the songs on the album were. Which was the main problem. Hollywood is catchy but it's totally second or third single material. The song American Life doesn't have that wow factor of a Like a prayer, Vogue, Music, Frozen, Hung Up etc. How people cannot see that I don't know.

And that is not to say that I did not like the song but ALOT of people, casual listeners as well found the sound quite weak and not up to Madonna's standards. Critics were not fond of it either. Pulling the video was the final nail in it's coffin.

AMEN.